U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 09:22 PM

2,723 posts, read 1,885,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m not so focused on the “legal” part of this.

My wife and I agreed early on that when they got to something like party age, we would allow them to consume alcohol and weed IN OUR HOUSE. Under our supervision. Invite your friends over, have a nice time, we’ll do something else and let you do you. Nobody’s gonna be driving anywhere, and we absolutely will not tolerate abuse of the substances.

That in exchange for “don’t do this anywhere else, and if you do, remember that we modeled some responsible use. Irresponsible use is subject to some harsh parental behavior”.

Or, something like that.

Now, were it legal, I think my ol’ lady and I would have to conference a bit. I doubt either of us would even bother putting a prohibition on it, but we would most likely agree to follow something similar to the above model.
This seems very pragmatic. The reality is that a lot of kids will experiment. Giving them a safe place to do so with adult supervision makes a lot of sense.

It's pretty obvious though that if they're going to invite their friends over, that you need to have buy-in from their friends' parents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 11:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 4,150,425 times
Quote:
Would you let your teenagers and 20 year old adult children drink underage if it was legal in your state?
If it were legal, it wouldn't be underage.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:56 PM

22,697 posts, read 6,199,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If it were legal, it wouldn't be underage.
drinking when you are under 21 and with your parents in your own home is legal in some states.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:47 AM

26,904 posts, read 24,337,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
While from a medicinal side the use of some 'fermented juices' may aide the young adult. It's not something I currently give nod to. Yes, as a teen at special events- holy days of service- wine was poured.

I recall from a medicinal nature rubbing rum on my little ones gums, teething pain.
Who knew it was an antiseptic and pain neutralizer

Otherwise since alcohol is a poison (chemically ), I'd probably be less justified to promote it to a person I cherish.
How about soda, sugar, refined flour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
These are not references from the original studies but are pretty reputable sources summarizing the data:

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/26/108332...r-drinking-age

httphttps://www.psychologytoday.com/...let-kids-drink

Some say the Europeans let their kids drink and then they know HOW to drink - the evidence doesn't really support that - there is a lot of binge drinking among European teens. Kids physically can't handle alcohol the same as adults and drinking at a young age then negatively affects physiologically how their bodies handle alcohol later. Also, just the fact of parents giving their kids alcohol shows kids that drinking at a young age is okay - seems simple, doesn't it.
Are we talking 18 and 19 year olds or 13 and 14 year olds.

Teens at this age most often don't listen to their parents about what is ok. I'm sure they already know the health risks of alcohol, smoking, marijuana, etc. but most will try it anyway and use behind their parents back knowing their parents disapprove.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:53 AM

19,091 posts, read 12,191,513 times
It's customary in many cultures to serve alcohol to their teenage children at family gatherings. In fact I've had wine at age 12 regularly at family events and I'm not an alcoholic. I didn't like alcohol much because I always felt I was forced to drink it at family gatherings.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:09 AM

2,000 posts, read 557,976 times
Do they still give whiskey to babies during the jewish circumcision ceremonies?

Old 02-12-2021, 11:33 AM

1,059 posts, read 318,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think any news source cares about a parent giving their adult children alcohol in the privacy of their own home. I've never even seen a news story about younger kids being given alcohol by their parents. As long as you are not giving your children excessive amounts of alcohol, throwing leggers for their friends, or letting them drive drunk, no one will care what you do.
well it would become a news story after it got out on social media and people were outraged that underage children were being subject to such abuse. don't you know that society has become the judge jury and executioner?

Old 02-12-2021, 03:21 PM

18,147 posts, read 11,247,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How about soda, sugar, refined flour?

Are we talking 18 and 19 year olds or 13 and 14 year olds.

Teens at this age most often don't listen to their parents about what is ok. I'm sure they already know the health risks of alcohol, smoking, marijuana, etc. but most will try it anyway and use behind their parents back knowing their parents disapprove.
...read the studies and find out. This isn't about their purported knowledge of the risks. Yes, most will try it behind parents' backs. What's silly is thinking that you letting them drink at home will be the ONLY place they drink. They'll do a little pre-gaming at home in prep for the party they don't you about later at another location.

Parents can model their OWN responsible drinking behavior without allowing their kids to drink. My parents both had a mixed drink or glass of wine most every night when I was a kid. Big deal...but they never let me drink and my college drinking was quite mild.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:51 PM

23,431 posts, read 13,490,357 times
My parents taught me what responsible drinking looked like. I may have done my eldest a disservice in that we were pretty much teetotling when he was a teen--or maybe not, since he does drink responsibly (he's in his forties). But we did teach our daughter what responsible drinking looks like, and now she pretty much the same way I do: A small amount for rare situations of specific pleasantry.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:53 PM

4,755 posts, read 1,854,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
This seems very pragmatic. The reality is that a lot of kids will experiment. Giving them a safe place to do so with adult supervision makes a lot of sense.

It's pretty obvious though that if they're going to invite their friends over, that you need to have buy-in from their friends' parents.
Oh quite right! I did miss that part, but obviously the other parents would have to consent. Probably missed it because it’s a “duh”, but thanks for bringing that up. It should be emphasized that the friends’ parents need to be in on the loop. Don’t drop that ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting