U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 09:02 AM

11,742 posts, read 4,657,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Why did she think having a shot of brandy in the morning was going to be beneficial to you? lol
Warms the insides?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:05 AM

11,742 posts, read 4,657,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
If a single-sip of beer at 20 years old was fatal, the human race would be extinct. Did you or anyone you know not consume a single sip of an alcoholic beverage from the day you were born until your 21st birthday!

I didn't. Yes, I had sips of my dad's beer here and there, at home. But I was 21 when I ever had a drink outside of my parents home.

I didn't go to keggers, I didn't go to parties, didn't have wine with dinner, etc., until I was 21.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:07 PM

22,671 posts, read 6,192,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
If a single-sip of beer at 20 years old was fatal, the human race would be extinct. Did you or anyone you know not consume a single sip of an alcoholic beverage from the day you were born until your 21st birthday!
I did not have a drink outside of the house till i was 21.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:29 AM

26,878 posts, read 24,327,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...read the studies and find out. This isn't about their purported knowledge of the risks. Yes, most will try it behind parents' backs. What's silly is thinking that you letting them drink at home will be the ONLY place they drink. They'll do a little pre-gaming at home in prep for the party they don't you about later at another location.

Parents can model their OWN responsible drinking behavior without allowing their kids to drink. My parents both had a mixed drink or glass of wine most every night when I was a kid. Big deal...but they never let me drink and my college drinking was quite mild.
If the kid (and I assume we are talking 17-20) has a few beers at home they wont be leaving the house to go anywhere. Having a beer or two or glass of wine at home does not equal drinking and driving.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:55 PM

1,104 posts, read 806,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I know the national drinking age is 21 but in some states like mine(Texas) parents can give their children alcohol in the privacy of their own home.So would you do that in your house if it was legal in your jurisdiction???I know some people think it will teach their kids to be responsible drinkers but the data and medical studies that i have seen indicates that it increases the likelihood of them becoming alcoholics.Also i know some people let their little kids have sips of beer or wine but no more than that untill they are teenagers or 20.Thanks in advance.
I grew in a place with a culture where this ( letting kids drink... a little, early in life) was very common practice and most kids had at least tasted alcohol in some way by the time they were 10 especially boys. The legal drinking age there is 18 but kids would routinely be sent to beer stores as soon as they were old enough to count change. They don't allow that now as much but there is still a very strong drinking culture there. It's just what people do there.

No good has come from it. Liver disease is now a leading cause of death in that country bested only by
Accidents and cancers both of which drinking probably contributes to in some way.

Alcohol is not an enemy, but it is a poison, no matter how mild, and over time takes a very predictable course on the body for a good percentage of people. Like many other things that are best left to adults, children can technically imbibe- but just because they can, doesn't mean they should and when they do, they should be taught a rather healthy respect of it. Those with family issues around addiction should be routinely be advised to avoid it like one would avoid any other life-threatening allergen.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:05 PM

23,423 posts, read 13,483,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
I grew in a place with a culture where this ( letting kids drink... a little, early in life) was very common practice and most kids had at least tasted alcohol in some way by the time they were 10 especially boys. The legal drinking age there is 18 but kids would routinely be sent to beer stores as soon as they were old enough to count change. They don't allow that now as much but there is still a very strong drinking culture there. It's just what people do there.

No good has come from it. Liver disease is now a leading cause of death in that country bested only by
Accidents and cancers both of which drinking probably contributes to in some way.

Alcohol is not an enemy, but it is a poison, no matter how mild, and over time takes a very predictable course on the body for a good percentage of people. Like many other things that are best left to adults, children can technically imbibe- but just because they can, doesn't mean they should and when they do, they should be taught a rather healthy respect of it. Those with family issues around addiction should be routinely be advised to avoid it like one would avoid any other life-threatening allergen.
In the US, likely most liver disease is from too much fructose (particularly in high-fructose corn syrup) leading to fatty liver disease.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:10 PM

31 posts, read 8,709 times
My mom started letting me drink on the weekends when I was 16. She’d buy me a 6 pack of grape Smirnoff Ice and that would last me about 3 weeks.

I’d pick one night on the weekend and I’d have two with/after dinner. I could also try a glass of wine with dinner.
This continued till I was 18.
When I turned 18 my mom told me she’d go to the store and pick up anything I wanted to try but I had to stay home if I was drinking, if my friends were minors they couldn’t drink with me and no getting black out drunk.

This allowed me in the safety of my own home to find out how many drinks was just right, hoe many was too many. I was taught to always ask her for a ride home if I needed one and was explained what would happen legally if I was ever caught outside the house drinking.

By the time I turned 21, alcohol was no big deal, my 21st birthday was low key, at a Chili’s and then at my house, I had a DD the entire time and everyone slept at my house and it was probably the only time I blacked out.

Now I’m 31, almost 32 and I drink socially, I hardly ever drink during the week even though I work all weekend so the week is part of my weekend. I only drink with my friends and I don’t ever really drink much when I do drink.

My mom didn’t do the same with my younger brother so he started drinking with his friends without her knowing and now at 26/27 years old he drinks almost a 750ml handle every single night and has raging sleep apnea due to his excessive drinking. He didn’t get a safe controlled environment to learn and grow in he got unsupervised shed parties and drinking to excess. Most of him and his friends still drink to excess.

My friends and I were taught differently.

Old Today, 03:16 PM

1,258 posts, read 997,214 times
Negative. When my children make it past 18, they can do whatever they want once they move out, but in my house..underage drinking would be a definitive no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting