Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 11:12 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I don't disagree, which is why I said for sure it was anecdotal in how it actually played out specifically in my in-laws' families.

More so I was trying to emphasize my experience listening to these sorts of discussions about introducing your kids to alcohol in the home. I don't usually find these discussions (in my life) as being serious, thought out logical ones, with consistent follow through. It's more masquerading as a laissez-faire, throw your hands up attitude that I've often seen mimicking the parents' own relationship to alcohol.
Yes I can see that.
I was born in a Northern state but moved south as a teen. Big difference in how people view alcohol consumption. For many here drinking a beer was akin to a mortal sin, where as not a big deal in the North. Its not as bad now, probably partly because of the influx of transplants over the years, but I still see a difference in attitudes between local or long time southerners and transplants from more "progressive" areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 11:26 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Interesting, which cultures? My grandmother was from Ireland and she never did that.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:30 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I know the national drinking age is 21 but in some states like mine(Texas) parents can give their children alcohol in the privacy of their own home.So would you do that in your house if it was legal in your jurisdiction???I know some people think it will teach their kids to be responsible drinkers but the data and medical studies that i have seen indicates that it increases the likelihood of them becoming alcoholics.Also i know some people let their little kids have sips of beer or wine but no more than that untill they are teenagers or 20.Thanks in advance.
I would be fine with legal drinking in my own home.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
The legal drinking age where i live is 18. Under 18s can drink in a private residence if a parent is there (so my theoretical kids can drink at home, but I can't serve their friends unless their parents are there too), and parents can also order alcohol for their kids in a licensed restaurant. My first drink was a glass of wine at an Italian restaurant when I was 11.

I allowed my daughter to have a fruity drink at an occasional family gathering starting when she was in her younger teens. Alcohol has never been a big deal in my life, and I never saw the need to make a big deal of it with my kid. We talked about the down sides, and have always preached moderation.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:50 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Would you let your teenagers and 20 year old adult children drink underage if it was legal in your state?
Yes if it's in the context of a religious observance or a wedding toast, something like that. Not if it's in the context of a Super Bowl party or just hanging out doing bong rips in the garage.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
My wife let her kids and their friends drink beer at her house when they were in their teens. They would have some friends over to the house with some beer, but she collected all car keys and nobody left till the next morning. She knew all of them, if not at her house, would congregate somewhere and party and possibly have a wreck or get a DUI. This way they could drink and be safe.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
It's an old tradition, very popular among certain cultures.
Yes, she was from Portugal.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:21 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, she was from Portugal.
Portuguese, Italian, some old northern Euro types (aquavit). President Truman was famous for his morning bourbon constitutional.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:27 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
While from a medicinal side the use of some 'fermented juices' may aide the young adult. It's not something I currently give nod to. Yes, as a teen at special events- holy days of service- wine was poured.

I recall from a medicinal nature rubbing rum on my little ones gums, teething pain.
Who knew it was an antiseptic and pain neutralizer

Otherwise since alcohol is a poison (chemically ), I'd probably be less justified to promote it to a person I cherish.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:43 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
These are not references from the original studies but are pretty reputable sources summarizing the data:

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/26/108332...r-drinking-age

httphttps://www.psychologytoday.com/...let-kids-drink

Some say the Europeans let their kids drink and then they know HOW to drink - the evidence doesn't really support that - there is a lot of binge drinking among European teens. Kids physically can't handle alcohol the same as adults and drinking at a young age then negatively affects physiologically how their bodies handle alcohol later. Also, just the fact of parents giving their kids alcohol shows kids that drinking at a young age is okay - seems simple, doesn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting