Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 12:54 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,780 times

Advertisements

Kid sister is failing math. She is in junior high and they are introducing algebra and geometry. The issue not only is her not understanding the subject matter but she will not raise her hand in class. My mother talked with teachers who confirmed. We both have talked to my sister to find out what is the blockage, what could help her understand better, why she's reluctant to ask questions but her responses are not informative. The school offers [mass] tutoring after school but that doesn't really help her.

Before we look into private tutoring I wanted to see if any others have gone through this and how they were able to help their kids out of shyness and on a path to understanding what they view as difficult subject matter.... would a school counselor be helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 01:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Junior High is so...so...bad. lol

She might be reluctant to ask for help, because she's been made fun of in the past, for asking for help, or maybe there's a gaggle of girl brats who snicker if she raises her hand, etc. Or...maybe even the teacher has said something that your sister took the wrong way, or she has a crush on the teacher...SO MANY ways things can go side ways in junior high.

Yes, I think a visit with the school counselor could be beneficial.

I used to know a lady who told me how she "dumbed herself down" because she had a crush on some boy, who was in a lower reading group than she was, and she wanted to be in the same reading group as him.

My son took an I.Q. test, and purposely answered some of the questions wrong because he didn't want to be perceived as a nerd.

These things happen. Yes, someone talk to the counselor.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Junior High is so...so...bad. lol
I used to know a lady who told me how she "dumbed herself down" because she had a crush on some boy, who was in a lower reading group than she was, and she wanted to be in the same reading group as him.
Interesting. There is another thread about the relative merits of co-ed schools or single sex schools. Several people have raised the issue you mentioned.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:50 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
If she's been learning in a virtual world, it's probably her not wanting to raise her hand and have to ask in front of the whole class online.

Have your mom talk to the teacher about doing some interventions if she's really behind. Otherwise, get her a private tutor.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:17 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
The problem with math in school is that learning is viewed as something linear. Concepts taught previously are rarely revisited except during test preparation. It wasn't until I was in high school when I realized the "/" (division/fraction sign) had a meaning.

We ended up using a private company that works with small groups instead of one-to-one. Each child is on their own path. It paid off. My daughter is predicted to score the highest achievement level in the state test according to her school's progress monitoring system. Unfortunately, her friends are not predicted to pass.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:31 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,747,333 times
For a good number or us, algebra is useless. I've never once used it. I took it twice and failed it miserably. Twice.
I don't miss it at all. OK, so I'll never be (or was) a nuclear rocket surgeon. I can (and did) find something else.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
For a good number or us, algebra is useless. I've never once used it. I took it twice and failed it miserably. Twice.
I don't miss it at all. OK, so I'll never be (or was) a nuclear rocket surgeon. I can (and did) find something else.
I hear that claim often, but fact is, many of the people who say it, actually use it all the time and don't even know it. One of the real purposes of algebra in school is not about finding X but learning to think logically.

One of the things is to never tell young people algebra is useless and they'll never need it. Because that will give them the justification they need to not bother trying to learn it. In their mind it will be "This is hard, I can't do it, why bother to try since it's useless and I'll never use it." They fail before they start.

For the OP, a school counselor might help if the issue is something within their wheelhouse. But if it's really an issue learning math, it might be worthwhile to try a tutor or service to find one that "clicks" with her. Most teachers do a pretty horrible job of explaining math concepts so a more focused tutor might help her past what is blocking her.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:29 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Get a Tudor.

Seriously. I can 100% say that the right one even will inspire the young one.

I mentor inner city students who struggle with home life and school work. The end result is having a neutral party that is there to guide is key to learning. In a safe environment.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:48 AM

339 posts, read 148,538 times
She could be shy, being made fun of etc...

One on One tutoring worked for me better!

Old 02-28-2021, 04:28 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Kid sister is failing math. She is in junior high and they are introducing algebra and geometry. The issue not only is her not understanding the subject matter but she will not raise her hand in class. My mother talked with teachers who confirmed. We both have talked to my sister to find out what is the blockage, what could help her understand better, why she's reluctant to ask questions but her responses are not informative. The school offers [mass] tutoring after school but that doesn't really help her.

Before we look into private tutoring I wanted to see if any others have gone through this and how they were able to help their kids out of shyness and on a path to understanding what they view as difficult subject matter.... would a school counselor be helpful?
I used to be a tutor.

It is often helpful to have a one-on-one tutor for a short period of time - even a few weeks - if you can find a quality tutor that can help the student identify their weak points and come up with a way to study that is most effective for the individual learning style.

It is amazing how much damage can be done by trying to make a student learn in a way that doesn't fit them - like trying to make a visual learner memorize words or an activity-based learner stare at a whiteboard. Just like in medicine, first you have to "diagnose" the issue before you can "treat" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting