U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 12:16 PM

27,122 posts, read 24,427,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I have teenage stepsons. Imagine my slight annoyance at having to go back to the store Sunday night because they drank a gallon of milk in less than a day. Ugh, my kid already drinks a gallon a week.
LOL. Ok so you know. Yes I have bought a gallon on Friday evening and have to go get more on Saturday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM

13,764 posts, read 22,397,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL. Ok so you know. Yes I have bought a gallon on Friday evening and have to go get more on Saturday.
Oh, yes — bottomless pits.

My aunt had three kids, and married a man with five. Mostly boys. All around the same ages.

She liked the concept of leftovers, because she hated cooking. So her habit was to make a whole bunch of meat that would hold them over for a few dinners. When the kids hit their teens, no matter what she made there was never leftovers. She could make a family package of 16 pork chops and all 16 would be gone. She experimented with making two family packs, all of them were gone.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:17 PM

18,265 posts, read 11,340,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I have teenage stepsons. Imagine my slight annoyance at having to go back to the store Sunday night because they drank a gallon of milk in less than a day. Ugh, my kid already drinks a gallon a week.
As a kid, my dad (a dentist) and my sister and I drank 5 gallons of milk a week. No.soda.ever.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:36 PM

3,809 posts, read 1,677,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This applies to adults also.

I don't think most of us are even close to drinking enough water and other fluids every day. Hydrating can be done in other ways too. Tea, diet soda (no more than 6 cans a day), low sugar fruit juice, Perrier, sparkling water ..

Mix it up.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:18 PM

5,105 posts, read 3,492,502 times
At some points in the last decade or so, many kids (and adults to boot) have been going for energy drinks, so a reminder that water is king is still good. Pure water. Not mixed with too much caffeine, and sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Thanks for the reminder. When I took a class in nutrition I learned that you can be dehydrated and not feel thirst... seems counterintuitive... but I realized this happens to me all the time! I love coffee too much Switching to a cup of hot water is great and works really well.. if I build a habit of it...
Yeah, when you feel thirsty, you've already been thirsty! Ditto with food, if you tend to overeat, then during a meal, wait a bit before eating more. It takes a while for your body to tell your brain that you're actually full (drink some water, wait 15 minutes).

Another thing is if you're hungry, drink some water, as you may actually be dehydrated, as opposed to actually hungry.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:39 PM

1,435 posts, read 524,785 times
Perhaps TMI, but good to know: my urologist told me that urine should be clear & color-free. If there is any color, you're already dehydrated.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 PM

6,543 posts, read 3,547,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Perhaps TMI, but good to know: my urologist told me that urine should be clear & color-free. If there is any color, you're already dehydrated.
No, you are not. After checking a lot of urine color charts, the consensus seems to be that urine should be close to pale yellow, not clear. The following chart explains dehydration (via urine color) well:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Old 02-26-2021, 09:25 PM

1,435 posts, read 524,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
No, you are not. After checking a lot of urine color charts, the consensus seems to be that urine should be close to pale yellow, not clear. The following chart explains dehydration (via urine color) well:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1
OK, tell my urologist.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:17 AM

9,674 posts, read 4,718,648 times
After years of study, its been confirmed that feeding those little rugrats and giving them hydration makes them grow! Holy moly!
So if you haven't guessed, to stop this Little critter from staying in your home past its welcome, deny one of the resources above!

Okay since that is really child abuse , I'd say water is essential to most in keeping the body functioning.

We had a variety of liquids in our home...Most with "water" being the main ingredient. Yup, we had kool aide, OJ, Grape, Sodas, Milk , and some adult only liquids.

In summer- water was a go to, in winter, us kids did more hot cocoa, tea or anything that could be warmed up after sledding.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:53 PM

7,064 posts, read 9,852,280 times
If extra water helps with kid's brain function then I wonder if it also helps with their behavior?

Also,I wonder if it would be enough to just give most kids one bottle of water in the morning? Wouldn't this be enough to hydrate them without them having to use the restroom too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting