U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 PM

1,983 posts, read 899,631 times

Advertisements

Kids are a reflection on the parents, but traditionally mums were supposed to be the more nurturing ones.

Maybe a mum with such a son feels a good woman will grab ahold of him, clean him up & propel him forward. They don't want to give up on him cuz it makes her feel she failed as a mum. Well, at least that's the case for some. Some mums might just be trying to get their ne'er-do-well sons out of the basement & into the real world.

As far as dads... I'm sure they exist, but I don't know what those are... never saw one hang around his kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 03:32 PM

18,725 posts, read 16,677,849 times
I can't imagine seeking advice on how good looking I was from my parents. That just seems absurd. Parents can never have the objective perspective of a potential love interest.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:33 PM

2,000 posts, read 557,976 times
Eh, I've heard some mom's speak the truth about their kids looks.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:14 PM

5,971 posts, read 5,605,041 times
The world will do its share to let someone know in ways they don't "measure up". Why must that come from a parent? IMO a parent should let the kid (at any age) be reminded of all the positive things about them, even if they aren't the most handsome, wealthy, charismatic person. EVERYONE has positive aspects, and those should be acknowledged. What harm is there in a mother thinking her son is wonderful? Not perfect, but definitely wonderful. It's called unconditional love.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:00 PM

14,339 posts, read 8,326,985 times
my mother in law hates me. my husband, her son, is an amazing husband and father. she and my husband's father raised a wonderful man, but i can't stand his mother because even after 30 years of happy marriage to her son and 2 grandchildren i'm still not good enough for her son. his father was great and loved me, however. can't win 'em all!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-03-2021 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 08:55 PM

2,204 posts, read 890,229 times
Because they Love them. My Mother thought all her daughters walked on water. It made us uncomfortable at times, but it's also wonderful to have a Mother that can love like that.

And.... She was right about me! (Big grin)

Old 03-03-2021, 10:59 PM

8,643 posts, read 10,546,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Eh, I've heard some mom's speak the truth about their kids looks.
Really? What did they say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Hmmm.... I've never really noticed that. Usually, it is the other way around. The daughter gets talked up as beautiful, sweet, and wonderful.
I've heard that before. Usually the daughter who gets talked up is lazy, unambitious, and unemployed.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

12,635 posts, read 14,846,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Clouds Cantata View Post
I have seen this often...

A guy is really not much of a catch at all-not good looking, or successful, smart, or even very interesting...yet their Mom always seems to think they are the most handsome guy around...

Why do Mom's overestimate their sons desirability? Father's seem a bit more realistic IMHO.

If you are a Mom do you do this? If so why?

As a crutch for why Mr Eligible is still available? We had a friend of the family growing up that was gay, yet his mother would try to fix him up with every girl in town as if she was going to change him or make him see the light! Literally this went on for years.

Old Today, 02:06 PM

420 posts, read 167,252 times
I really liked the movie Parenthood with Steve Martin. In the movie, the Father thought the youngest son had the most potential even though the rest of the family knew he was a screw-up. The son would always flatter the father (probably why the father liked him). Towards the end of the movie, it finally dawned on the father that the son would never change when he came up with yet another scheme to duck his responsibilities. The look on the poor father's face when he finally saw what everyone else saw, that this guy is a dud.

Sometimes it may be cultural. My sister had a good friend from high school, a Russian girl who became
a lawyer. A paralegal at her job fell in love with her. He was Italian. They eloped. The girl was nice, smart and had the better job! The guy's grandmother
told him, "this marriage is giving me cancer." It was expected that the guy had to marry a girl with relatives not
only from the old country, but from the same town in the old country. I guess his mother felt the same way. He eventually cave in to family pressure and received an annulment. The girl moved on and married
a Russian guy and is very happy now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting