Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 03:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times

Advertisements

And let's not forget...

A LOT of teenagers keep a Facebook page for their parents to see, and a 'secret' Facebook page, or more likely, another social media account for the stuff they DON'T want their parents to see. Soooo, be as diligent as you want to be about monitoring your kids, but really, if you give your kids a smart phone, or a lap top, it's going to be nigh near impossible to monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 04:12 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Putting on my therapist hat, I do wonder if the OP isn't just a little bit envious of that young woman, as she did not receive that sort of attention in high school. I can't figure out why else she would be so judgmental about someone she has no relationship with.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:15 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Putting on my therapist hat, I do wonder if the OP isn't just a little bit envious of that young woman, as she did not receive that sort of attention in high school. I can't figure out why else she would be so judgmental about someone she has no relationship with.
Hm. Well, my husband and I chose to not have children. But a number of our friends chose to have children. And a number of our friends have made some extremely questionable decisions regarding the raising and or disciplining of said children. I have to tell you, I’ve sat in the judgey chair a lot. But I have never ever told someone how to raise their child unless they asked me for advice ,which would be very gently given. Although frankly, when you don’t have kids people generally don’t ask you advice on how to raise their children. A wonderful side effect.

The thing I have never done and yes, I’ve been on city data long enough that I could’ve been asking these questions, too — is come on a message board and ask for opinions about the stupid stuff my friends were letting their kids get away with. I already know my idiot friends are screwing up. I don’t need confirmation.

My favorite one was an ex friend and yes this was part of the end of that friendship, decided about a week before her son turned 18 that when he turned 18 she was kicking him out of the house. Jobless, just out of school, with no money, kicking him out of the house. Happily, his good friend whose father really liked this kid took him in and set him on a course where he’s doing very well today. Stuff that my ex friend couldn’t be bothered to do because you know she had Coach bags to buy, and was too busy on her social media about what a good parent she was.

And that’s the other thing, we all judge people. I mean, you’re judging OP right now by “putting on your therapist hat”. It’s what we do as humans.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:30 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Was there ever a time a 16 or 17 yr old WASN'T sexualized? It wasn't all THAT long ago that it was normal to get married right out of high school.

I'm 63 yrs old, and I had a classmate, that got pregnant and married at THIRTEEN. Of course, they had a lot of support, but I know for a fact they stayed married for at least 20 years, because I saw a notice in the newspaper once, about their family throwing them an anniversary party.
Im not talking about having sex. Dressing sexy, nipple rings, sending nude pictures to one another, twerking, that kind of thing. Teen pregnancy is actually down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting