Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 12:56 PM

14,220 posts, read 11,517,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
Why on earth would someone's house be getting all the "wear and tear"?

I stayed home and raised my three children all within 3.5 years of age. Sharing in my opinion is a recipe for trouble and everyone has a different idea about how children should be raised and cared for.
I stayed at home with my kids too, but not not everyone has or wants that option. A nanny is going to be more personal than a daycare, and it doesn't hurt children to be around other children for a few hours every day. In fact, it's good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 02:14 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,183,549 times
I would think some nannies would charge by age - more for kids in diapers for example.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:20 PM

6,744 posts, read 4,727,460 times
I don't think you should be paying half. Where will the children be? Your house, the neighbor's house, or does the "nanny" have a house? For the neighbor to benefit it they would need to pay less than they would for two children if they weren't sharing. You need to pay less than what you would pay for one. So, like someone else said, the cost of two children divided in half would be fair for you. They should pick up the cost for the third child.

Just don't do anything that will make you feel you are being taken advantage of.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:39 PM

3,884 posts, read 6,791,152 times
I'm guessing that my neighbor would host at their house, strictly because they have two children versus our one. They would have all of the toys and other items for the older child while my house would only have toys for the younger babies.

As such, we would have to walk a few houses down to drop off our child everyday which isn't a concern but I would think that's a benefit to my neighbor as well since they don't have to go anywhere.

Thank you all for the responses. I will discuss with our neighbor and the proposed nanny to figure out the cost structure. I don't know how families find affordable childcare... or I guess the real joke is that affordable childcare doesn't even exist!

Old 04-06-2021, 07:48 PM

21,951 posts, read 19,073,567 times
depending on the placing agency, some do not allow nanny share.
find out what the terms of the nanny contract are and whether it's even allowed.

someone shared with me recently that with some agencies if a nanny signs up for x number of children, that other children can not be added on at the whim of the parents. however the nanny could earn extra money by "babysitting" other children if the nanny chooses to do that.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:00 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,760,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I'm guessing that my neighbor would host at their house, strictly because they have two children versus our one. They would have all of the toys and other items for the older child while my house would only have toys for the younger babies.

As such, we would have to walk a few houses down to drop off our child everyday which isn't a concern but I would think that's a benefit to my neighbor as well since they don't have to go anywhere.

Thank you all for the responses. I will discuss with our neighbor and the proposed nanny to figure out the cost structure. I don't know how families find affordable childcare... or I guess the real joke is that affordable childcare doesn't even exist!
If they're hosting this at their house, that might make a difference. 3 preschoolers in the house, all day long, do cause wear and tear on the house in the way that an empty house all day long wouldn't experience.

Dropping your child at their house, which it seems to you is a bit of an inconvenience, sounds actually like an advantage.

If there's a disparity in when they return home, your child is still there before you pick him up. You will always return to an empty childless house.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:38 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,972,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If they're hosting this at their house, that might make a difference. 3 preschoolers in the house, all day long, do cause wear and tear on the house in the way that an empty house all day long wouldn't experience.

Dropping your child at their house, which it seems to you is a bit of an inconvenience, sounds actually like an advantage.

If there's a disparity in when they return home, your child is still there before you pick him up. You will always return to an empty childless house.
It is an advantage for the parents to have the other family host. It is an advantage to the child for the child's family to host.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:26 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,778,811 times
This sure sounds much more like a baby sitter than a nanny situation. If it really is a nanny situation where will she be living or will she share the time between the two houses?

Old 04-07-2021, 06:58 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,760,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
It is an advantage for the parents to have the other family host. It is an advantage to the child for the child's family to host.
Is it? I would imagine the 3 year old would have some issues with their personal toys being played with all day every day by another child. And to have their own house rules change every day, between the hired sitter and the parents.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,118,910 times
Personally I wouldn't even consider doing this. If you need a Nanny, interview and hire one for your own child. Someone is getting short changed no matter how you shake this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting