Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 12:35 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

Friends of mine have used an au pair for their kids. (Is an au pair the same thing as a nanny? I honestly don't know.) In their case, the au pair lived in their house and provided child care services for extended periods of time, not just Monday through Friday from 9:00 to 5:00. If this is what the OP's friends are doing, and if the OP is only needing daytime babysitting, then the marginal cost of adding her child to the mix would be much less than one-third.

Nevertheless, whatever arrangement they make should be beneficial to both parties. The friends should pay less than it would cost to have the nanny just for their kids, and the OP should pay much less than it would cost for her to have the nanny just for her kid. Assuming that we are dealing with mature, responsible people here, they should be able to come to an arrangement that is satisfactory to both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 04:09 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So the nanny watches all three kids at the same time? I would not think it fair to pay half the nanny's fee if you only have 1/3 of the children.

I think what you do in that case is figure out how much the nanny charges for two kids and how much more for three. It may not be as simple as 2/3 - 1/3, but she probably has a price for two kids and an increased price for three. Then you split the amount for two kids in half, and that's what you pay.

For example, nanny says she wants $20/hour to watch two kids and $25/hour for three kids. You should split the two-kid cost and pay $10/hr, while your neighbor pays $15.

Others may disagree, but I don't think splitting the full amount in half ($12.50 each) is fair to the person with one child, and for the person with one child to pay only the "third child" amount ($20/$5) is not fair to the person with two.
I agree the per/child logic is fairer...however, most daycares have some pricing based on age because obviously younger children take more care. The OP doesn't have a newborn, but there may still need to be a bit of a "surcharge". I'd check online with several "typical" daycares to come up with something reasonable.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:54 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
depending on the placing agency, some do not allow nanny share.
find out what the terms of the nanny contract are and whether it's even allowed.

someone shared with me recently that with some agencies if a nanny signs up for x number of children, that other children can not be added on at the whim of the parents. however the nanny could earn extra money by "babysitting" other children if the nanny chooses to do that.
Very few of the people I know who use a nanny (or a nanny share) go through an agency. We have a local private group of facebook where nannies and families can connect, and everyone prefers that because the nannies make more money and the families pay less because they aren't paying a big cut to an agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This sure sounds much more like a baby sitter than a nanny situation. If it really is a nanny situation where will she be living or will she share the time between the two houses?
Very few people have residential nannies, most work set hours each day and then go home like other employees

Old 04-09-2021, 07:31 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,651 times
Say the nanny charges $20 for 2 kids and $25 for 3. You offer to split the cost per child, so you are paying $8-9 and I’m paying $16-17. I’d rather just pay the full $20 instead of having a 10-month old thrown into the mix, which would be the youngest and the neediest child, and only saving $3 per hour.

When you add the fact that it’s always going to be in my house and you get to just drop your kid off, I can’t see why I’d even consider taking your kid in. If I get home early from work or I take a personal day, I can’t just dismiss the babysitter. If you decide to stay home and keep your kid, then I’m stuck paying the full amount anyway.

Yeah, I think I’d definitely pass unless you offered a 50/50 since my house is serving as the daycare facility and you have the youngest child. Even then, I’d probably only consider it if money was tight as the extra hassle and decreased attention on my own kids generally wouldn’t be worth it.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:01 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Say the nanny charges $20 for 2 kids and $25 for 3. You offer to split the cost per child, so you are paying $8-9 and I’m paying $16-17. I’d rather just pay the full $20 instead of having a 10-month old thrown into the mix, which would be the youngest and the neediest child, and only saving $3 per hour.

When you add the fact that it’s always going to be in my house and you get to just drop your kid off, I can’t see why I’d even consider taking your kid in. If I get home early from work or I take a personal day, I can’t just dismiss the babysitter. If you decide to stay home and keep your kid, then I’m stuck paying the full amount anyway.

Yeah, I think I’d definitely pass unless you offered a 50/50 since my house is serving as the daycare facility and you have the youngest child. Even then, I’d probably only consider it if money was tight as the extra hassle and decreased attention on my own kids generally wouldn’t be worth it.
Caring for three children from two families should be more expensive than caring for three children in the same family but less than three children from three families. Part of the hassle of being a shared nanny is dealing with two sets of parents, two sets of expectations, two sets of rules, two sets of personalities. Don't underestimate that aspect.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:06 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Caring for three children from two families should be more expensive than caring for three children in the same family but less than three children from three families. Part of the hassle of being a shared nanny is dealing with two sets of parents, two sets of expectations, two sets of rules, two sets of personalities. Don't underestimate that aspect.
Yeah, that's exactly the point. I don't blame the nanny for charging more. I just don't see the benefit of having a friend drop in a 10-month old in my home just to save a few dollars. I might take a 50/50 if money was tight, but no way I'd split it 3 ways with all the extra hassle I'd have to go through having someone else's child in my house.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I see you couldn't be bothered to actually read through the links you provided. From your first link (emphasis mine)

Nor does your link specify as you seem to claim that only childcare workers who live in can be nannies.

or there is your second link WHICH EXPLICITLY STATES that nannies, unlike a governess, do in fact perform some household help related to the children in their care

which they also explicitly distinguish from the expected duties of a governess as compared to a nanny

And then again there is your third link, which explicitly discusses nanny shares, as asked about by the original poster. Once again demonstrating that your knowledge in this subject is lacking
Of course I read the pieces I linked but apparently you have not read what I have written. Living on site, while common, is not a determining factor, although it would be extremely rare to find a sitter who lives on site. The "Nanny Share" section does noting to prove your point because the person involved here fits the definition of a baby sitter, not that of a nanny as provided at the top of the page.

Your interpretation of household duties as somehow being standardized is odd and choosing the parts of each link that suit your purposes does nothing to determine the difference between a nanny and sitter. I notice that you have elected not to comment on the important common thread that runs through all the definitions, that being that a nanny plays an important part in decisions related to raising the children.

I wonder where you gained your knowledge of what a nanny's functions are; mine came from a family member who was a professional nanny for over ten years. I agree completely with the poster who wrote "I think somewhere along the line people thought the title of Nanny sounded more impressive than babysitter."

Last edited by kokonutty; 04-10-2021 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 07:50 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Folks, this thread has veered terribly off topic!

The OP is very specific. However, it is NOT a debate about the definition of, or the difference between a "nanny" and another individual child care person.

There have been many deleted posts, so please: READ the OP and please stay on topic!

Many thanks!
~June

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting