Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 05:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
You couldn't possibly be serious??? This comment is a joke right?
No. I've already stated that if I were the parent of a teenage girl, I'd rather have her date an older person than an age peer. Not that I will be the one deciding it in any case. I'd feel safer about an older guy as a driver, as a protector in case of physical danger, and as a possible romantic partner. I'd trust a 24-year-old over a 16-year-old to remember to use a condom, any day of the week.

Part of the thing is, I don't expect my kids not to be sexually active once they are legal age (and 16 is legal in Michigan.) But even as far as parents who expect their kids to remain virgins, I've been 16 years old and I've been 24 years old, and believe me, I had much more of a one-track-mind at 16. So even on that score, pardon the pun, the advantage ought to be for the older guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Regardless of the age of consent, there just is no real valid reason why a 24 yr old NORMAL MAN would want to hang around a 16 YR OLD GIRL unless there was some booty invovled.
So what if there's booty involved?

Quote:
Q: What is the legal age of consent to have sexual intercourse in California?
A: 18 years old. This means sexual contact with a minor under the age of 18 is illegal in the state of California even if the minor says it is consensual.
Good call, if the OP lives in California. I don't know if she does.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
24 yr olds are a whole lot more advanced emotionally, and mentally than a 16 yr old girl.
IMO, that's an advantage, not a disadvantage. Two teenagers together='the blind leading the blind'

Quote:
So Tell me, would you have been dating a 16 yr old girl when you were 24 and if so why?
If I'd met one I liked, I would've, sure.

Quote:
What could you possibly have in common with a 16 yr old girl as a 24 yr old man.
Who the hell knows? Maybe we're both big Wallflowers fans? Or maybe it's just physical attraction, but in most states, including mine, that would be legal too.

Quote:
Are you in 10th grade? Does she work for a living? Can she drink? Can she go to clubs or bars? Can she see NC 17 rated movies? No.
Perhaps I'm a teetotaler and I only like PG movies. (Not really the case, but who's to say?) Maybe my idea of a good time (apart from the obvious kind) is going to Six Flags or the library. You've never met a 24-year-old like that? I have.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
You are all about legal technicalities and "proving" things as opposed to protecting a 16 yr. old CHILD from a situation they are not emotionally prepared for. No 16 yr. old girl needs to be "taught" anything by a 24 yr. old MAN. Your posts are not causing me to rethink my original impression.

BTW....in some places 16 is still "barely" high school...depending on when their birthday is and whether the high school is only 3 years instead of 4...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You are all about legal technicalities and "proving" things as opposed to protecting a 16 yr. old CHILD from a situation they are not emotionally prepared for. No 16 yr. old girl needs to be "taught" anything by a 24 yr. old MAN. Your posts are not causing me to rethink my original impression.

BTW....in some places 16 is still "barely" high school...depending on when their birthday is and whether the high school is only 3 years instead of 4...
I completely agree. That person's comments are very disturbing.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,920 times
This is really disturbing. I'm amazed that "men" are admitting THEY would do such things!

Wow!

Gross Gross Gross

Disturbing Disturbing Disturbing

You know what I do in situations like these? I look at what my grandfather, father, husband and brother would do. Seeing as they are respected/ful GOOD men.

None of them would have considered such perversion!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:17 AM

I wonder where you get your definition of "perversion" from. On second thought, I don't give a damn.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I completely agree. That person's comments are very disturbing.
Do you actually have a logical response to any of my comments? Or was I right in assuming that a variation of "I think it's yucky!" is all that's involved here?

Old 12-24-2008, 01:17 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
No normal 24 year old man would be interested in a sixteen year old girl for any kind of relationship unless he has some kind of disorder, is a pervert, predator, etc. You actions were very right and may have saved your daughters life. Your husband is off his rocker with his attitude. I would find out who this guy is. If he bought her a plane ticket you may be able to have him charged with attempted abduction or something. He is obviously a sicko.

are you really serious? For God's sake, she's 16, not 12. Age doesn't matter, it's people's maturity what does.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Excellent points. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting