Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 05:57 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times

Advertisements

Anything Sandra Boynton
Eric Carle
Nancy Tillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 07:22 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaJames View Post
Does anyone know any positive uplifting bedtime stories for young children (2,5 and 5 years old)? Most of the bedtime story books I found are so negative or even disturbing for very young kids. I am looking for something that makes them feel good when they fall asleep, something with a positive worldview. Thank you!!!
Dr. Suess has been providing uplifting books for generations.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:47 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,186 times
YES! The Going to Bed Book is so much fun to read and the kids and grandkids enjoy it immensely. I have a copy still in my house for the visiting children.

Also, sometimes I read (sing) from a song book that has songs from some of the old favorite kids movies, like "Bippitty Boppity Boo" or "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". The kids laugh because they have never heard these songs before and they are fun. It has also sometimes stirred their interest in these old kids movies and they will want to watch them.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:58 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
I vaguely remember "Molly Moo" by Roger Hargreaves. As a kid, I owned the edition with the blue cover; it was one of the first books I read myself. It's about a cow that ate different foods she hated, usually oatmeal, not knowing she was supposed to eat grass. Then a farmer told her that, and she ate all the grass around where she lives. As a result, she had to go back to eating the disliked foods she ate before, because there was no more grass to eat.

I also liked Dr. Seuss books. They were fun and upbeat without being sickly sweet.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:07 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
My kids loved the Sesame Street Golden Books.

I got early American classic poetry from Mom. Robert Louis Stevenson. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

From Grandmother, lullabies, "Babes in the Woods" and "Red Wing."

From other Grandmother, "Be quiet and go to sleep."

Old 04-29-2021, 07:24 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
My grandson absolutely LOVES The Little Critter books . He is able to read
some by himself and he's only five. I had never heard of these when my own
children were growing up , but they have been around for quite a while.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-29-2021, 08:17 AM

922 posts, read 1,110,715 times
Oh, man, there are so many books to choose from! Here are some that my kids loved:

Pete the Cat books
All of the Sandra Boyton books
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Steam Train, Dream Train
Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
Splat the Cat books
Laura Numeroff books (If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, etc)
Dragons Love Tacos
Dragons Love Tacos 2
Steven Kroll books

I could go on and on but we'd be here for awhile...lol. Hit up garage sales and book sales that libraries have, as local ones are always purging their stock!

Old 04-29-2021, 04:27 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
Tony Stark had the ultimate bed-time story nailed: https://youtu.be/CyQ6oKY17JQ

Old 04-29-2021, 04:40 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Harold and the Purple Crayon
The Snowy Day — the USPS put forever stamps out with images from the Snowy Day, and I got very teary eyed over that.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:50 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaJames View Post
Does anyone know any positive uplifting bedtime stories for young children (2,5 and 5 years old)? Most of the bedtime story books I found are so negative or even disturbing for very young kids. I am looking for something that makes them feel good when they fall asleep, something with a positive worldview. Thank you!!!

Most of us grew up on " Most of the bedtime story books I found are so negative or even disturbing for very young kids." as did out kids and grand-kids. Same for cartoons and Disney movies, can you say Bambi?

Sorry to say, we are all OK. You cant hide your kids from the world, or the world from your kids, regardless of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting