U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 03:52 PM

90 posts, read 28,943 times

Advertisements

My nephew and his wife both work and take care of their kids. Both are autistic. DSS called them and came by their house today and said they were using drugs and not taking care of the kids. Of course the house was clean and fine. The lady said they have to take a drug test next week and if they pass it (which they will) she will drop the case. I looked and it seems theirs noway to tell who called DSS. Anybody know a way to go about finding out who falsely called DSS?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 04:14 PM

7,604 posts, read 9,524,441 times
DCS reports are anonymous for very good reasons.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:27 PM

19,282 posts, read 20,785,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
DCS reports are anonymous for very good reasons.
I agree. While there may be some rare cases when a report is made to CPS/DCS due to vindictiveness or revenge, IMHO, most reporters are kind, honest people who have observed something that greatly concerns them and are worried for the safety and/or health of the children.

Are the children or the parents on the autism spectrum? It is possible that their odd or quirky behavior exhibited by whoever has autism may have send up red flags to someone.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:51 AM

52 posts, read 8,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. While there may be some rare cases when a report is made to CPS/DCS due to vindictiveness or revenge, IMHO, most reporters are kind, honest people who have observed something that greatly concerns them and are worried for the safety and/or health of the children.

Are the children or the parents on the autism spectrum? It is possible that their odd or quirky behavior exhibited by whoever has autism may have send up red flags to someone.
Instances of spiteful reporting are not as rare as you would like them to be, even from mandated reporters. While calls from irritable neighbors, or bitter custody disputes, teachers can be especially vindictive since they have immunity to litigation, and it's effectively impossible to prove that they phoned CPS because they felt disrespected.

They can claim "that as a mandated reporter I am concerned" and, what follows for the family -at best- even if younreceive a later saying it's unfounded, is 3 months of questions and visits from CPS workers and thinly veiled threats of the kids being placed in foster care.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:26 AM

10,182 posts, read 4,952,362 times
The DSS has to get a court order to mandate a drug test.

Allegations are not enough. So I am not buying this story.

For what its worth, I think some parents SHOULD BE on Drugs! Or medication anyways. There are some stressors that medications can ease. So if someone says- We know you are on drugs, Id say, Heck yeah! Do you see the little ones I have to guide each day! Its a calamity of errors on a daily basis!!

All humor aside, A parent being called and investigated can either play nice or call their lawyer. Sometimes it helps to get legal guidance when a department is doing a welfare visit. Best to have your rights in hand before they are taken away unfairly.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:57 AM

3,099 posts, read 1,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

Allegations are not enough. So I am not buying this story.
My cousin's daughter had a high school drug problem. She successfully attended a treatment program. She had a baby which gave her incentive to stay clean.

My Aunt made a false call the DSS. She worked for a pediatrician (a mandatory reporter) who coached her on what to say to the police.

She claimed my cousin's daughter was shooting up heroin at her son's 3rd birthday party and there was used heroin needles within reach of the child.

The police stormed the house and took her to the hospital for testing. Of course, the hospital test proved she was drug-free.

The Aunt made up a story that it was my cousin's brother who called the police - her nephew. So now my cousin will not speak to her brother.

People can be that terrible.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:30 AM

7,341 posts, read 6,196,541 times
Reporting to Children and Youth Services is often used spitefully. Even unfounded reports can put a smear on your reputation that's hard to overlook.

Many years ago, I had a vindictive "queen bee" co-worker who didn't like me. Her twin sister worked for Children and Youth Services. Back story, my youngest DD (then two) was sick one day, and I had to call off work to care for her. Nothing dramatic, just an obvious cold, but she was vomiting and had a temperature of 102. My supervisor pumped me with questions...did I call the doctor? Was I taking her to the doctor? Etc., Etc. The vicious co-worker listened in to the one side of the telephone conversation. She didn't hear my replies...that I called my pediatricians' office, who connected me with the nurse practitioner. The NP spoke with one of the doctors, and instructed me to give DD Children's Tylenol (suppositories if the vomiting persisted), fluids if she'd keep them down, Pedialite, etc. and contact them if there were any changes. This was common practice with my pediatricians' busy practice. The only thing nasty co-worker got out of eavesdropping the conversation was...my daughter was sick and I WASN'T TAKING HER TO THE DOCTOR.

So what does she do? She calls her sister at CYS, and I'm contacted by a caseworker about "endangering my child". Luckily, it was easy to cover my bases...I had them call my doctors' office and speak with the NP, who relayed the instructions I'd been given and the case was closed. But I told the caseworker that I suspected the unfounded accusation was placed by a "vindictive, hostile co-worker". They didn't need to be a Sherlock to figure out who I meant, and I'm sure it got back to her via her twin sister. Needless to say, it never happened again. It didn't improve my relationship with my co-worker...she remained nasty to me for the (thankfully) short duration I remained at that job...but she left my family alone.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-02-2021 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-02-2021, 06:51 AM

3,099 posts, read 1,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post
I looked and it seems theirs noway to tell who called DSS. Anybody know a way to go about finding out who falsely called DSS?

A local lawyer would know your rights.

Quote:
Approximately 29 States and Puerto Rico carry penalties in their civil child protection laws for any person who willfully or intentionally makes a false report of child abuse or neglect.

In New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and theVirgin Islands, making false reports of child maltreatment is made illegal in criminal sections of State code. Nineteen States and the Virgin Islands classify false reporting as a misdemeanor or similar charge.

In Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, and Texas, false reporting is a felony; while in Arkansas, Indiana, Missouri, and Virginia, second or subsequent offenses are upgraded to felonies. In Michigan, false reporting can be either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the seriousness of the alleged abuse in the report. No criminal penalties are imposed in California, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, and Nebraska; however, the immunity from civil or criminal action that is provided to reporters of abuse or neglect is not extended to those who make a false report. In South Carolina, in addition to any criminal penalties, the Department of Social Services may bring civil action against the person to recover the costs of investigation and any proceedings related to the investigation.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:11 AM

4,305 posts, read 1,856,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post
My nephew and his wife both work and take care of their kids. Both are autistic. DSS called them and came by their house today and said they were using drugs and not taking care of the kids. Of course the house was clean and fine. The lady said they have to take a drug test next week and if they pass it (which they will) she will drop the case. I looked and it seems theirs noway to tell who called DSS. Anybody know a way to go about finding out who falsely called DSS?
I would consult a lawyer. There is no obligation to take a drug test based on a claim alone without any evidence.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:27 PM

5,842 posts, read 5,237,214 times
It is a total pain in the ass to call DSS to make a report. It takes forever, waiting on hold, and the whole while, there is a recording playing threatening criminal charges for making a false report. It is so much trouble that as a mandated reporter, having seen that nothing is ever done to actually help or protect the child, I only called if the situation was truly dire, truly life threatening, because it was so frustrating and took up so much time.

So yes, I know of instances where people made false reports, usually in acrimonious custody battles. If the mother or her agent made the false report, even when it was obviously false, she faced no consequences whatsoever. But in general, most people who bother to take the time to make a report are doing it because they are afraid that the child is in trouble - and usually they are right. But still, DSS never does anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting