Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 02:55 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You're right ... but my point is, does a 17 year old really need to be told he has to share?
Yes. Yes he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 02:55 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
For me, yes, I think it's going to be worth it. I really dislike grocery shopping, and it HAS been nice to just open my front door, and there's the stuff. lol PLUS, they have no-minimum ordering, so...say you want turkey NOW. Order it, schedule the delivery, and BOOM. No muss, no fuss.
Cool. I did it once. It was convenient for the most part but they don't always have the timeslot available you want right? I hated how much the prices were jacked up ... but I also hate going to the grocery store too lol. It's part & parcel with being an adult, though so it's ok. It's just like something ya gotta do. I wonder if they'll deliver to rural areas?

It's not the act of shopping so much as it is the drive. We have 2 houses ... one in the country and one more in the suburbs. We alternate between them both ... so the country house there's not many grocery stores nearby. The suburb house it's like a 5 min drive so it's not too bad.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:04 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Not really. I just inherited a teen overnight one night 2 years ago so I'm a bit lost as to how to parent one ... especially a boy.

I'm trying to think if I ever did this when I was a teen ... wanted to say yes I did and thought I did but I asked my mother and she actually said I was like a model teenager lol. My sister on the other hand ... oy lol.

But yeah ... things are pretty ok. I'm just not used to this so I find myself sometimes maybe getting annoyed @ things that are really just 'normal' for teens.

We all have gotten annoyed at our kids. Just like it's normal for teenagers to eat you out of house and home...it's normal to be annoyed at your kids.

Sorry sis, you're not special that way. ;-)

Old 05-04-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I found it IS different being a Stepparent.

I was as mad as the OP for the first year or so (I had no kids), I literally had to coach myself to think of him as if he were my teen. It helped oodles.

For gosh sakes, hold on to your sense of humor. Scolding the kidlet just made him surly at me (understandable), making jokes about his bad behavior cracked him up AND made him look at it from another side without being defensive. Of course, that's him, but you DO have to demonstrate HOW to handle conflict in a positive light.

"Hey did you not notice that your socks were a tad tight?"

"Yeah, I guess so" /shrug

"They are MINE. Good lordy, your father better speak to immediately about how to buy the right condom. You can't just go around squeezing your body parts into things that are too small. "
Not only is it different, it's difficult. I don't have kids by choice because I don't want to deal with disciplining. Stepson was living full-time with his mom in another state but decided to come live with us 2 years ago ... and it wasn't planned either. It was literally a call to his dad "hey can i come live with you?" "yes" "ok can you come pick me up now? mom kicked me out" ... it's a very sad story honestly ... but the thought of having to parent a teenager never was something I thought would have been a reality. I guess @ the back of mind it was always a possibility but I never actually thought it would happen.

I love my stepson. I don't exactly love being a parent. I try my best. My husband is a good dad but when he's @ work, I'm the one at home with the kid so I'm the one having to 'parent'. I guess @ 17 they don't need too much 'parenting' but I'm the one dealing with stuff like this b/c I am home all day. So I tend to get stressed and frustrated a lot more than my husband does over it.

I guess in a way 'parenting' a teen is new to him too ... we're trying to do this together, it's not easy ... especially too there are certain things we disagree on and certain things I'd do differently with my own child if I had one.

trial & error, I suppose.

I guess this is just normal teen behavior then. Thanks everyone! One day I'll figure it out.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
We all have gotten annoyed at our kids. Just like it's normal for teenagers to eat you out of house and home...it's normal to be annoyed at your kids.

Sorry sis, you're not special that way. ;-)
LOL I'm glad to hear I'm normal.

Just a lady trying to get through life

Old 05-04-2021, 03:16 PM

I know you all are busy, but have you ever taken stepson out, just the 2 of you, on an outing? Maybe go to the movies, out to eat...just about anything I guess. It might help him know that you want to know him, and that he's not just an inconvenience to you and your husband.

It might be weird for him, feeling like no one wants him. (I'm definitely NOT saying you and your husband don't want him...but he might feel like the proverbial 3rd wheel.)

How does he get along with his mom now? He might crave some motherly attention, and he might appreciate on a deep level, if you try and bond, one on one, with him.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:18 PM

16,305 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Ok. Well I'd say it's not that big a deal then. Maybe buy 2 pounds? Or let him known otherne need to eat in the house. Teenage boys can eat a lot.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
OMG. You are making mountains out of molehills.

I think she's trying to say it's not THAT convenient for her to go to the grocery store, and she's just talking herself through it all.

Jdawg, you said your son works next to a grocery store? Could you just ask him to pick up some more turkey after work?

Old 05-04-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I think she's trying to say it's not THAT convenient for her to go to the grocery store, and she's just talking herself through it all.

Jdawg, you said your son works next to a grocery store? Could you just ask him to pick up some more turkey after work?
Yes i can.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:53 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
You're right ... but my point is, does a 17 year old really need to be told he has to share?
Dunno, sounds like sharing by any age of occupant in this house is an issue.

My two sons had to be told each time something was off limits for a dinner or an event. To this day I still label what the item is being saved for. If someone disregards that, the rule is: replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting