U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM

12,220 posts, read 15,905,474 times

Advertisements

17 y/o stepson @ home. I understand teens like to eat ... but yesterday I bought a lb of turkey. Stepson ate some of it. Then today he is eating more of it and says to me "the turkey is gone can you get more?"

HE ATE A LB OF TURKEY IN A DAY!!! Meanwhile he is not the only one living here ... it's also me & my husband who like turkey too.

I feel like he should know better though ... like I should not have to explain to a teenager why it's not cool to eat an entire lb of turkey so that no one else can have it.

Right or wrong?

Well I told him since he works he can go get more turkey. I am not going back to the grocery store and taking time off work so he can eat another lb by himself again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 12:48 PM

13,043 posts, read 5,688,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
17 y/o stepson @ home. I understand teens like to eat ... but yesterday I bought a lb of turkey. Stepson ate some of it. Then today he is eating more of it and says to me "the turkey is gone can you get more?"

HE ATE A LB OF TURKEY IN A DAY!!! Meanwhile he is not the only one living here ... it's also me & my husband who like turkey too.

I feel like he should know better though ... like I should not have to explain to a teenager why it's not cool to eat an entire lb of turkey so that no one else can have it.

Right or wrong?

Well I told him since he works he can go get more turkey. I am not going back to the grocery store and taking time off work so he can eat another lb by himself again.
Fair. Problem solved.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-12-2021 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 05-04-2021, 12:52 PM

2,381 posts, read 1,209,301 times
That is soooooo not a big deal. Teens eat. A lot. And really, a lb of turkey is not that much. And it's healthier than a lot of other options!

Old 05-04-2021, 12:55 PM

7,465 posts, read 5,059,411 times
Did you specifically tell him not to eat the turkey? If not, why wouldn’t you expect him to eat it? He could have eaten a whole bag of chips or a carton of ice cream.

There’s got to be more to this story.

And why are taking time off work to go to the grocery store?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Did you specifically tell him not to eat the turkey? If not, why wouldn’t you expect him to eat it? He could have eaten a whole bag of chips or a carton of ice cream.

There’s got to be more to this story.

And why are taking time off work to go to the grocery store?
He can eat some turkey but it's common courtesy to leave some for other people too ... especially when someone else (me) is buying it.

He wants to buy it, have @ it. Cuz that's usually what I eat for lunch ... and he knew that. I didn'r think I needed to tell him ... which is the point of my post.

I guess i do? I thought it was common sense when someone buys something for the family, you don't eat it all in one sitting.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
That is soooooo not a big deal. Teens eat. A lot. And really, a lb of turkey is not that much. And it's healthier than a lot of other options!
It's not about health. It's about the fact that 2 other people live in the house who also work @ home and need to eat lunch.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:10 PM

2,381 posts, read 1,209,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
He can eat some turkey but it's common courtesy to leave some for other people too ... especially when someone else (me) is buying it.

He wants to buy it, have @ it. Cuz that's usually what I eat for lunch ... and he knew that. I didn'r think I needed to tell him ... which is the point of my post.

I guess i do? I thought it was common sense when someone buys something for the family, you don't eat it all in one sitting.
Well, he didn't. It was 2 sittings!

I take it that he doesn't stay at your place often? Is this your place or your husband's? Seems like something this minor would have been sorted out a long time ago.

I mean, it's either "mi casa es tu casa" or there are very clear rules, labels on the yogurt, etc.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:13 PM

13,043 posts, read 5,688,325 times
You know...the thing is, if you don't want the kids eating something, tell them. If don't want them to eat all of it, tell them. Something like "Don't eat all that turkey, you dad and I want some too" is just fine.

EVERY parent has experienced going for something to eat, but the kids found it first, and now there's none left. If you don't want it to happen, then talk to him about it. But man...no accusations. Kids eat. Just say something in a light manner like "Wow, I didn't realize the turkey was going to be so popular! Guess I need to buy more next time!"

Old 05-04-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Well, he didn't. It was 2 sittings!

I take it that he doesn't stay at your place often? Is this your place or your husband's? Seems like something this minor would have been sorted out a long time ago.

I mean, it's either "mi casa es tu casa" or there are very clear rules, labels on the yogurt, etc.
It's minor sure but still annoying & rude. I work hard for my money and I go out and buy everything for the family that we are to make it stretch for the week. That's always how it's been. Everything I buy is for everyone - except things like his chocolate milk which my husband and I don't drink.

Like I said teens eat - I get that. Still gotta be respectful for the others who you live with.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You know...the thing is, if you don't want the kids eating something, tell them. If don't want them to eat all of it, tell them. Something like "Don't eat all that turkey, you dad and I want some too" is just fine.

EVERY parent has experienced going for something to eat, but the kids found it first, and now there's none left. If you don't want it to happen, then talk to him about it. But man...no accusations. Kids eat. Just say something in a light manner like "Wow, I didn't realize the turkey was going to be so popular! Guess I need to buy more next time!"
You're right ... but my point is, does a 17 year old really need to be told he has to share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting