Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 12:06 PM

13 posts, read 12,153 times

Advertisements

My 16 year old son just got his first job working this summer at a local grocery chain. It caught me by surprise because he never really expressed interest in getting a job before, nor have we really pushed him to to be honest.

Then one day he told us he had an interview. He went to the interview and next thing we knew he had the job. He even insisted that he get a clean cut haircut (he's had surf bum hair for the last few years).

I'm surprised he's going through with the job because its fairly strict with it's uniform...he has to wear a dress shirt and a tie everyday and his mom and I have always had to fight him about dressing up for special events. But now he basically said what he needed and he even wanted to buy a couple of different ties because he says that's the only way he can kind of vary things up.

I must admit, it is a fairly nice, welcome change, and he looked pretty slick on his first day of work. But his mother and I are kind of baffled on how he sort of went from Mr. Rocker to Mr Clean Cut in a week. His mom thinks there is a girl involved haha. But I also know a bunch of his friends all work there so there is probably some peer pressure involved.

Anyways, teenagers are weird!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 12:34 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
It sounds like, somewhere between 15 & 16, it became the cool thing to have a job and be earning your own money. The question is, what's he planning to do with the income? Save it for college? Use it to buy newly-legal marijuana? Use it to entertain a gf? Buy computer gamer gear with? The possibilities are endless. Who's going to pay for his college, btw? Maybe it's time to have that conversation. You could start it out by saying how proud of him you are, that he got a job on his own, and seems genuinely into it.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:41 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Turning 16? Par for the course.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:23 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
His mom is right.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:25 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I'm actually curious if he (and his age group/friends) has been subject to advertising efforts to encourage people to apply and work? I know that Facebook has been full of job fairs and such lately, the grocery stores here are saying that they are hiring people on the spot, and some of the restaurants are offering free food if you come to an interview. All of the entry level employers seem pretty desperate for applicants right now.

I think that one thing that seemed discouraging to my sons when they were teenagers and not motivated by necessity, was that you might apply and maybe never get a call back, or possibly be rejected for these same jobs, and now that feeling should be minimal. Places need the help. They won't turn it down.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:03 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Typical. If you say right, they turn left.
It will vascilate til one day the revelation.of, yikes! I have to do this for 50 years???
That's when the rubber meets the road.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:18 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I only know what my son did and he really liked earning his own money when he was a teenager.

A grocery store job would have been nice, but my kid begged a good chain saw out of me and he spent his entire summers with a good buddy, cutting and splitting firewood and selling and delivering it.

He made a whole huge pot of money doing it. Not really complaining, but he came home stinking of sweat and covered in sawdust. A nice clean dress job would have been a nice alternative.

However, he worked really hard and still has a good work ethic to this day. He'll get in there and work hard to earn his money.

Don't do anything to discourage your kid, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting