Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 04:22 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Did you have a bad experience in school or what? Sooooo many stereotypes and wrongful info here.
Meh! I call 'em as I see 'em.

My lower elementary (K--4) teachers were OK. Neither good nor bad, just decent enough not to scar me, and skilled enough to help me if need be. Upper elementary (5--8) and high school teachers were hit or miss. A few were truly great, most were just OK, and a small handful were garbage. The last sentence applies almost equally to both men and women. That said, the higher my grade level was, the more male teachers I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 07:45 AM

524 posts, read 246,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Please get off that high horse of yours, ma'am! It seems like you're more concerned about your bragging rights of having a perfectly-behaved son, than about your son's well-being. I'd look at his behavior as more of a blessing than a curse. He may be a handful now, but look into the future. Once he hits upper elementary grades, let alone middle school, his self-assured non-docile behavior will be a hit with his classmates. Boys will want to be like him, and girls will want to be with him. Which means he will me HAPPY. Do you really want to take that away from your son's future by "taming" him now? Hmm? Do tell!

Also don't forget: elementary school teachers, most of whom are women, fundamentally dislike boys. They don't like their energy level, they don't like their natural assertiveness, and they don't like their questioning of authority. Which makes them more biased than CNN reporters. So they try to condition (yes, like Ivan Pavlov and his dogs) it all out of them. In mild cases, it's what your son's stupid teacher is doing: constantly writing him up and and sending him to the principal's office. In severe cases, they "diagnose" the boy with ADHD and sweet-talk his parents into Ritalin'ing him. Tell your son's teacher to pound sand if she tries that.
The only issue I take with this is that you are framing this as a women teachers vs young boys stereotype, when, really, any child who is more... effervescent... is going to have a hard time in elementary school. My daughter is one of them. Yes, she has always been very outspoken, bold, opinionated, and strong; unfortunately, those qualities were not appreciated until high school. My biggest mistake, in hindsight, was that early on I was too quick to assume that her teacher was right and being objective in their assessment.

It wasn’t until probably 5th grade when her teacher strongly implied that she was holding my daughter to a different standard than she was holding the boys, that I realize I needed to do a better job advocating for her. She was never going to be the quiet, biddable, lethargic student that I was... and as inconvenient as it may have been for her teacher (and, frankly, every adult in her life, lol), my goal became to help her refine those qualities that would go on to serve her positively in life. Thankfully, she’s a strong young woman with a big mouth, who can also advocate for herself, as well, and her high school teachers have been much more tolerant and receptive.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:02 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
My husband and I are struggling with our 6 year old son (kindergarten) and his behavior at school. He has been sent to the principals office twice in the last few weeks. Not for major offenses but for being disruptive in his own bubble - making loud noises, not listening to the teacher, talking loudly, running in the classroom. He has sensory processing behaviors and some problems with self-regulation that do cause a lot of what's going on. He is a sensory seeker! We have him in OT, we have an evaluation started for IEP/504 plan, we are also doing behavioral therapy. Although we are concerned about his behavior, he is achieving way beyond our expectations academically. He is in the 90th percentile in reading and two grade levels above in math. His teacher chooses him to be the leader of groups often. He is doing so well with his grades, and we are super happy about that. He is socially very smart as well. But the behavior issues just makes us sad, because I feel like we are loosing all hope to help him get better in that area. On the other hand he could have the behavior like a saint, but doing very poorly in school, which is hard as well. I don't know which would be easier to deal with?
My daughter had behavioral issues as a young child. She wasn't terrible, just disruptive. She is almost 16 now and mostly matured enough to outgrow them. I think your kid will be fine. I would get him in sports or martial arts to burn up some serious energy.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:48 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
My husband and I are struggling with our 6 year old son (kindergarten) and his behavior at school. He has been sent to the principals office twice in the last few weeks. Not for major offenses but for being disruptive in his own bubble - making loud noises, not listening to the teacher, talking loudly, running in the classroom. He has sensory processing behaviors and some problems with self-regulation that do cause a lot of what's going on. He is a sensory seeker! We have him in OT, we have an evaluation started for IEP/504 plan, we are also doing behavioral therapy. Although we are concerned about his behavior, he is achieving way beyond our expectations academically. He is in the 90th percentile in reading and two grade levels above in math. His teacher chooses him to be the leader of groups often. He is doing so well with his grades, and we are super happy about that. He is socially very smart as well. But the behavior issues just makes us sad, because I feel like we are loosing all hope to help him get better in that area. On the other hand he could have the behavior like a saint, but doing very poorly in school, which is hard as well. I don't know which would be easier to deal with?
They're both important. Keel working with him and I'm sure you can see an improvement in the behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting