Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 09:16 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Pretty much nails it. Those expensive "outfits" that grandmothers "spoil" there youngins with at $30-$40 a pop, and the kid wears for a couple of months before they outgrow them, go for $.50 at yard sales--all you want.

It is completely retarded to spend money on fancy stuff for a small child. They don't care. They outgrow the stuff quickly. It is near worthless in the second hand market. Only a very shallow person who might be playing "keep up with the Jones'" could possibly care.

The rest of us think you look silly because we know what you are doing and we know how juvenile it is.

A lot of those expensive outfits are given as gifts. And like you mentioned, grandparents like to spoil the youngins.

Me, personally, I don't think it's 'retarded' to spend some money on fancy stuff. I really feel like it's up to the individual parents, and if the little ones looks adorable in their little ruffly dresses and crinolines, or the little boys in their Osh Gosh B'goshes, I'm going to note that they look adorable, end of story.

And if they look adorable in Thrift store outfits, or their Walmart outfits, or their garage sale outfits, I'm going to note that they look adorable. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 09:57 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,694,204 times
Yes. It is totally worth it. You need to keep doing it. Your children will grow up to be homeless trash pickers if you don't.

Your kids prefer name brands like Patagonia, Lucky Brand, and Zara. I think they need new ski jackets this year, as well. Try to get at least The North Face if you can't get Patagonia. Also maybe a pair of roller skates and roller blades. Pink ones, please.

Also, when they are tired of them or outgrow them, please donate the clothes and equipment to my local GoodWill.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:38 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Affluent people will spend more money on their kids’ clothes that less affluent people. Grandma might enjoy buying cute outfits for grandchild. Why in the world does anyone care about this?

Every year my grandkids get to pick out four garments from the Lands End catalog for the upcoming school year. So far, they like the stuff they pick out. The older one might at some point decide that LE merch is not cool, but that has not happened yet.

Been doing this for years. I can afford this for two kids. And I don’t need anyone’s approval.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:43 AM

35 posts, read 47,405 times
IMO parents dressing their kids in expensive labels are just stoking their own egos or wanting to portray a certain lifestyle.The kid has no clue about any of that and still won't think twice about dribbling food on it or playing in the dirt with it.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Reject View Post
IMO parents dressing their kids in expensive labels are just stoking their own egos or wanting to portray a certain lifestyle.The kid has no clue about any of that and still won't think twice about dribbling food on it or playing in the dirt with it.

1. Do you have kids?

2. Why does it matter why the parents buy what they buy?

Old 06-02-2021, 01:11 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
If i can get my 3-year old off to day-care in something a little bit better than Pajamas, i consider it a win.

As for designer clothes? Never been a thing for me and my wife and we certainly don't extend that to our children. Of other folks want to do that, have at it. It's of no concern to me what they do.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If i can get my 3-year old off to day-care in something a little bit better than Pajamas, i consider it a win.

As for designer clothes? Never been a thing for me and my wife and we certainly don't extend that to our children. Of other folks want to do that, have at it. It's of no concern to me what they do.
I hear THAT. My youngest had a hat that he liked to wear all day, every day, for awhile, because he thought he looked like Mario, from Mario brothers, when he wore the hat.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:45 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Every year my grandkids get to pick out four garments from the Lands End catalog for the upcoming school year. So far, they like the stuff they pick out. The older one might at some point decide that LE merch is not cool, but that has not happened yet.

Been doing this for years. I can afford this for two kids. And I don’t need anyone’s approval.
I like that- it's an indulgence but it's not their whole wardrobe. I have 3 grandchildren and DDIL does a fantastic job of finding them great clothes at a consignment shop- cheaper than new but also better quality since the flimsy stuff gets thrown in landfills after a few months and never makes it to consignment.

Having said that- I buy good, classic things for myself and wear them for years, preferably made somewhere with decent working conditions. I got a Birkenstock catalogue in the mail with little sandals with insoles printed with flowers and unicorns. My granddaughters, ages 4 and 7, love unicorns so I asked DDIL if it was OK to offer to get them each a pair. She said yes. They were thrilled- they passed up the sparkly leather designs and went for the unicorns. If they last long enough they may make it to the consignment shop and I'm happy about that.

To me, the biggest problem is when kids get preoccupied with what they're wearing and think that they are what they wear. One friend on FB has a very clothes-conscious 5-year old daughter. They go to Disney World every year (family live nearby) and in every picture they post she's wearing a different outfit. Too much emphasis on clothes.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:04 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Dressing little girls well is a big deal in some parts of the south.

I loved dressing my daughter in beautiful “boutique” dresses....she also wore a lot of Old Navy. I bought at the end of season for 1/2 off and bought for the year ahead.

Then I would sell her outgrown clothes on EBay. I established a relationship with a woman whose daughter was a year younger than my daughter....she lived about an hour from me, and twice a year she came and bought all of daughter’s outgrown items. It worked well for both of us.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:33 PM

388 posts, read 307,015 times
I just want to clarify; I don't think it's shallow to splurge on your kids, or want to buy them designer clothes. I think it's shallow of others to judge you or treat your kid differently if you don't (or if you do, for that matter.)

I can afford to splurge on my kid a little. He's 3 and has some toys and game consoles that other people might think are silly or overindulgent. But I would never look down on my friends if they didn't buy their kids the same stuff, either by choice or necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting