Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 09:15 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

"to go out in the world and make my way.". The Godfather smiles at the youth and hands them a 1911.

It's graduation time and while I don't have children, I do have nieces and nephews and the associated like. When it comes to giving graduation gifts, I am traditional with things like silver, kitchen basics, and Swiss Army knives.

BUT.....

.....am I starting my niece on the world of knives that might eventually end up with drawers of them, where so many things that leave the house have some kind of blade included?

Stepping back a little and asking a grand question, as parents, what do you prefer....and not prefer....to see given as graduation gifts from relatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 09:34 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
OK I don't understand 95% of what you just said, but I always think cash is the best gift to give/get during graduation. More so these days than ever before.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
OK I don't understand 95% of what you just said, but I always think cash is the best gift to give/get during graduation. More so these days than ever before.
We-ll, not all people see knives the same. Here in Texas, carrying a pocket knife, if not a buck knife, every day is just life......but in other areas of the US, it falls into "Why do you need to carry a knife every day/to the supermarket?".

Two or so generations back, giving a manicure set was standard and even though the youth might wonder "what the heck", its many uses would soon prove its worth.

As it is, I am also giving silver coinage, something of the past. First of all, they aren't likely to get it from anyone else, if at all, and secondly, those are things that provides links to those of before.

Money, it's easy, there is the thought of get something nice for yourself, but it is also to me, a rather impersonal feeling. Perhaps I am slightly selfish, but I too want to be remembered in some way.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:12 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
A knife seems odd as a graduation gift. Nice kitchen knifes for a wedding present would be good.

Maybe if the graduate was a serious hunter, a good hunting knife would be OK.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:44 AM

129 posts, read 79,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
We-ll, not all people see knives the same. Here in Texas, carrying a pocket knife, if not a buck knife, every day is just life......but in other areas of the US, it falls into "Why do you need to carry a knife every day/to the supermarket?".

Two or so generations back, giving a manicure set was standard and even though the youth might wonder "what the heck", its many uses would soon prove its worth.

As it is, I am also giving silver coinage, something of the past. First of all, they aren't likely to get it from anyone else, if at all, and secondly, those are things that provides links to those of before.

Money, it's easy, there is the thought of get something nice for yourself, but it is also to me, a rather impersonal feeling. Perhaps I am slightly selfish, but I too want to be remembered in some way.
Get them something they’ll actually use.
If someone gave me a buck knife when I graduated from a high school of 2000 kids in the middle of the suburbs it would have sat in a drawer unused.

I needed cash, tuition money, money for books for college, clothes for school.

Get something useful.

Silver coinage? Buck knives?

What is this 1802?

Old 06-07-2021, 10:56 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
I'd be selling those silver coins by 2nd semester, LOL.

Manicure kits...cheap chinese crap in a vinyl pouch? Nope.

Cash.

Maybe a selection of gift cards for useful places, like a gas brand, food, etc.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:04 AM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
A gift is whatever you want to give. It may, or may not, be appreciated. A gift should also not be more than you can afford.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:52 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I give them what they want, which is cash.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysthelimit89 View Post
Get them something they’ll actually use.
If someone gave me a buck knife when I graduated from a high school of 2000 kids in the middle of the suburbs it would have sat in a drawer unused.

I needed cash, tuition money, money for books for college, clothes for school.

Get something useful.

Silver coinage? Buck knives?

What is this 1802?
I've always dreamed of causing this situation.

New Husband: What did your aunt send us for a wedding present?
My Niece: Oh, some copper coin. It's over there on the table.
New Husband looks and ........ "That's a KRUGGERAND!"

Unfortunately, I can't afford to send that, can't even afford them for myself. I have inherited gold coins but I can't afford to buy them and certainly can't afford to give them Because.....

..........it's not just a one time event but it vastly unbalances all gift giving, now and for all people.....for another thing I do is if there is a sibling, I also give a gift, if lesser, to them, so they don't feel left out.

As far as 1802, oh, I would love to do that.....but I really can only go back as far as 1878. Going back to 1802 is rather like buying a full auto rifle, 10 Grand Plus! But one of the things of a silver dollar of the 19th century is to look at it and imagine whose hand it must have graced in all the years, what history it saw.

As far as practicality and usefulness, well, to me, knives are not only very useful but also rather essential. I mean, how often do I pull my buck knife out? At least about every 3rd day to open a bag of kitty litter.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-07-2021 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 12:20 PM

129 posts, read 79,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I've always dreamed of causing this situation.

New Husband: What did your aunt send us for a wedding present?
My Niece: Oh, some copper coin. It's over there on the table.
New Husband looks and ........ "That's a KRUGGERAND!"

Unfortunately, I can't afford to send that, can't even afford them for myself. I have inherited gold coins but I can't afford to buy them and certainly can't afford to give them Because.....

..........it's not just a one time event but it vastly unbalances all gift giving, now and for all people.....for another thing I do is if there is a sibling, I also give a gift, if lesser, to them, so they don't feel left out.

As far as 1802, oh, I would love to do that.....but I really can only go back as far as 1878. Going back to 1802 is rather like buying a full auto rifle, 10 Grand Plus! But one of the things of a silver dollar of the 19th century is to look at it and imagine whose hand it must have graced in all the years, what history it saw.

As far as practicality and usefulness, well, to me, knives are not only very useful but also rather essential. I mean, how often do I pull my buck knife out? At least about every 3rd day to open a bag of kitty litter.
That’s cute, my cat litter bags tear open easily and so does their bag of food.
The only knife I have that important is my hook knife and that stays in its pouch in the leg strap of my skydiving rig and has never even been used while jumping because I haven’t had the need for it thankfully. If you’re skydiving and you have to pull your hook knife out I hope you have good health insurance because chances are you’re gonna be in the ICU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting