Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 08:46 PM

893 posts, read 509,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You are going to take a 17 year old on a vacation where you are going to force him to stay inside the hotel room with a babysitter the entire time?

I say this with genuine concern but you should look into family counseling. This is not an appropriate scenario and isn't going to give you the results you are hoping for.
Exactly. Please don't do this!!

Old 06-22-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith498 View Post
My son is seventeen and will be repeating his junior year of school. He has received all Fs and he is grounded for the entire summer. This means:

- No TV
- No Computer
- No Video Games
- No Desserts
- No door
- No iPhone
- He will be allowed to come with us on our beach vacation, but he must stay inside the hotel room for the entirety of the trip with no access to the TV. We have arranged a babysitter with the hotel.

I know this year has been very hard for students due to the pandemic, but that is NO EXCUSE for my son to slack off and fail all of his classes.
This is not the way to go about this!!

I have a 17 year old son. I would never treat him like this. How awful!

How about helping him figure out what the problem is. What if he is getting bullied at school, you never know.

If he hates academics and is truly awful at it maybe he could take his GED and then go to trade school.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Your son is only a year or less from legal adulthood. Don't you think it might be a better idea to help him get back on track than to practically torture him until he is old enough to escape?
Words of wisdom!

Old 06-22-2021, 10:03 PM

728 posts, read 463,392 times
Like some others said earlier, I would have him checked for learning disabilities.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:28 PM

675 posts, read 644,417 times
I feel like I've seen this exact post (or a paraphrase) on reddit or somewhere (the door did it for me. And no deserts alhough that alone isn't severe) and it was a complete joke. I do hope my troll radar (trolldar? tradar?) is working.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:02 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I feel like I've seen this exact post (or a paraphrase) on reddit or somewhere (the door did it for me. And no deserts alhough that alone isn't severe) and it was a complete joke. I do hope my troll radar (trolldar? tradar?) is working.
I agree, highly suspect.

On the door though, when my Daughter was about 10 years old she just wouldn't keep her bedroom tidy. But of course, loved her privacy. The threat of door removal was a good motivator for her until she didn't believe the threat.

2 days without a bedroom door resulted in a quick turnaround and she has maintained that behaviour in the subsequent 7 years.

I will never forget her face when I removed it!!

Old 06-23-2021, 01:21 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith498 View Post
My son is seventeen and will be repeating his junior year of school. He has received all Fs and he is grounded for the entire summer. This means:

- No TV
- No Computer
- No Video Games
- No Desserts
- No door
- No iPhone
- He will be allowed to come with us on our beach vacation, but he must stay inside the hotel room for the entirety of the trip with no access to the TV. We have arranged a babysitter with the hotel.

I know this year has been very hard for students due to the pandemic, but that is NO EXCUSE for my son to slack off and fail all of his classes.

I agree with everyone else, your punishment is way too harsh. You're really not parenting him when you take everything away from him. You'd be making him hate you. I'll be shocked if he doesn't run away. He could also develop huge anger issues if he doesn't already have them. I'll also be shocked if he doesn't go and quit school because in my state, he could quit at 16 without a parents signature.

Online school has been tough for most kids. If I had to do it, I'm not sure if I could. I wonder if your son has learning issues like me.

Weren't you keeping up with his grades during the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
How about summer school and summer job, keep him busy, yard work, if he proves reliable and hard working, release the restrictions a little.

Totally agree that having him get a job to learn responsibility is a great idea.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:53 AM

7,328 posts, read 3,513,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Your son is only a year or less from legal adulthood. Don't you think it might be a better idea to help him get back on track than to practically torture him until he is old enough to escape?
Yeah, agree. Being so strict is only going to push him away. He obviously needs help getting on track. Perhaps maybe put him into some sort of enrichment camp/program over the summer? Make him get a job? Do chores around the house? Encourage responsibility? He might not be cut out for school, perhaps learn a trade?

Old 06-23-2021, 06:54 AM

6 posts, read 5,371 times
I’m not going to send him off to trade school just so that he can work a minimum wage job for the rest of his life and have to still live with us for the next ten years. But, he’s already blown his chances of ever attending college or university.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:59 AM

307 posts, read 213,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
How about summer school and summer job, keep him busy, yard work, if he proves reliable and hard working, release the restrictions a little.
I agree with this 100%!! You should keep him busy and get him into summer school to see if he can make up some of the classes he failed as opposed to giving him nothing to do as punishment. Idle minds are the devil's workshop so taking everything away and making him sit in a hotel room while on vacation isn't the best idea.

As a parent, I audibly gasped when I read the OP but I realize the pandemic was hard on kids being forced to learn virtually and we all had to shift gears and adjust to a weird new normal. Not being face-to-face in the classroom affected kids more than the school system realizes but I'm hopeful they'll be back in the classroom in the fall.

I know my kid is a natural slacker so this year I hounded her to make sure assignments were turned in on time and that she was prepared for tests by making practice exams and helping her study. It wasn't easy for my family but we made it through this crazy school year in one piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting