Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 03:36 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Hard to quantify wth a study, but I expect most people that were spanked as children for being spoiled little brats in public remember those spankings, and are much less likely to behave poorly in public as adults.
I think the pendulum swings back and forth. These days spanking is out. Back in the day when spanking was in, sticking to a strict schedule was also in. Nap time, feeding time, always at the same time no matter what.

I was spanked and I was not a brat!!!!!!!! I was spanked for staying out after curfew and my parents were worried sick. There was even a law in our town that kids under a certain age had to be inside after 8pm. A loud horn went off and that was our signal that we should get home.

School was more strict in those days too and that's one reason why kids learned more rather than fooling around and distracting the class. Kids sat up straight and paid attention. If they didn't, they were in trouble and the parents did not defend them. The parents backed up the teacher. Spanking was not allowed in schools but the kid probably got a spanking or a talking to when they got home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 07:09 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Hard to quantify wth a study, but I expect most people that were spanked as children for being spoiled little brats in public remember those spankings, and are much less likely to behave poorly in public as adults.
Well, it's not A study, it's literally hundreds. By people who have a lot more expertise in a plethora of areas than you or I. MRIs aren't subjective. Arrests aren't subjective. Numbers of suspensions and detentions at school aren't subjective.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:48 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We don’t hit children or pets. We raised 4 kids and lots of dogs and cats, and they all turned out fine.

The problem is that we only know how to raise our children from what we learned from our parents. “The sins of the father are visited on the sons.”

Old 08-17-2021, 07:21 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
I raised two children. My son is Now 31 and my daughter is now 23. My wife and I have different styles of parenting (she is more liberal while I tend to negotiate much less.) We had many conversation's on how we wanted to raise the children, and most of the times our policies were one in the same. If the policy needed to be revised we would discuss it behind closed doors AWAY from the children. The issue with regards to our parenting styles comes up when the children would behave inappropriately for one reason or another. Having been raised in the 70's and early 80's I knew what the consequences were for bad behavior or saying something disrespectful to my parents or an adult. I handle insubordination from my children harsher than my wife thus over the years this has been the source of conflict. If parents fail to set boundaries, and discipline their children when needed why would it be a surprise to see that child either engaged in negative behaviors when they become older. IMO once the so called experts dictated what parents can and can't do with their own children we have children born from 1990 to present that are entitled, selfish, and in some cases still dependent on their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting