Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 12:42 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids, but it is a question I've wondered about after seeing several friends raise kids. It doesn't seem possible to not favor one kid over others, not that you'd do so in an obvious way but certainly internally.

I mean kids are unique individuals with their own personalities and quirks and it seems logical that you would connect better with one vs another.

Please, don't let this become a thread about how your parents treated your sister like a princess and to this day she gets away with everything. I am posing the question from a parental perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 07:04 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
I have two kids and love them equally. I don't and never could love one more. They are both individuals, and I love what's makes them....them. They both have great things about them and then things that drive me nuts...

Old 07-07-2021, 07:31 AM

318 posts, read 176,936 times
I love my kids equally but like them at different levels.

I will admit that I no longer like my 12-year-old. All she does is yell at me and call me names and hit me and break things when she doesn't get what she wants. I do not like being around her and I am relieved that she is going to live with her father. That being said, I love her and it really saddens me how mean and destructive she has become and if her attitude and behaviour toward me ever changes I will welcome her back with open arms.

My younger two children I like but yes I do have a favourite which is my youngest. She is so loving and cuddly and caring and wants to be around me all the time unlike my middle child who is too cool to be around me now. I think this may be why in a lot of families everyone says the baby is the favourite. In my own family we all knew my youngest sibling was the favourite too.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:36 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I have three grown kids, and each one is my favorite, each for a different reason.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:37 AM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I read once that parents favor different children at different stages of the children's lives. Which makes sense. It would be easier to favor a five year old over a child in its terrible twos. I think most people try to hide that they have favorites.

My mother said she loved us all equally, but I know I was the favorite!

Old 07-07-2021, 07:57 AM

318 posts, read 176,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I read once that parents favor different children at different stages of the children's lives. Which makes sense. It would be easier to favor a five year old over a child in its terrible twos. I think most people try to hide that they have favorites.

My mother said she loved us all equally, but I know I was the favorite!
Were you the baby of the family?

Old 07-07-2021, 08:04 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I don't have kids, but it is a question I've wondered about after seeing several friends raise kids. It doesn't seem possible to not favor one kid over others, not that you'd do so in an obvious way but certainly internally.

I mean kids are unique individuals with their own personalities and quirks and it seems logical that you would connect better with one vs another.Not really, that's a little like saying well you must like cake better than ice cream, but really you like them both equally and it doesn't matter which one you get for dessert.

Please, don't let this become a thread about how your parents treated your sister like a princess and to this day she gets away with everything. I am posing the question from a parental perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I have two kids and love them equally. I don't and never could love one more. They are both individuals, and I love what's makes them....them. They both have great things about them and then things that drive me nuts...
This one hundred percent.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:13 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
If I misbehaved or had that teenage attitude, my mother would say "I will always love you but I don't like you very much right now".

I can't imagine there is any way to quantify loving someone more. I also don't believe that you would actually love a child more simply because you get along better with them, have the same personality, sense of humour or interests. None of that is rooted in parental love, IMO.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:46 AM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateNortherner View Post
Were you the baby of the family?
Yes. And an accident. The Best accident ever. I was much younger than the others. There was a 20 year gap between me and the oldest. However, I was also the sweetest child ever and would have been the favorite no matter what!

Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I'm a step parent, so no direct experience.

But yeah, I think most love their kids equally.

Like is a different story though. I think my husband likes all his kids differently, has more in common with one, respects the heck out of what another has accomplished, feels more protective of another....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting