Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 02:02 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times

Advertisements

My eldest son.
Collaboration of :
First name from both an endearing cousin I used to babysit, and later a guy I dated that was the quintessential gentleman.
His middle name from my stepmoms Dad. He was also a southern gent with intellectual charm.

I often speak highly (and rightly so) of my daughter in law. The only time she has veered from being pollypurebred, is when she named the grand daughters. She made sure they had names of her grandmother's. Pretty sure those children are also kin to my sons side of the family. She said, they have his last name. I responded, til they marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 02:28 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
In my culture, you always name children after someone beloved to the parents who have passed and whose characteristics you want to wish onto your children. It's considered very bad luck to name a child after someone who is still alive, both for the child and for the person who they are named after.

My middle name is both of my great grandmothers on my mom's side. My brother's first name was after my mother's older brother who passed as a toddler and his middle name was my mom's cousin who was like a second father growing up.

My partner and I have planned names for our future children. The first daughter will be named after two friends of ours who passed far too young (a name that has similar sounds to both their names), middle name after RBG. Our first son will be named after two friends of mine who have passed, and my great grandfather. The teachers who made the biggest impact on me, and who I would be proud to name my children after, are all still alive. In the unlikely even that it changes, there are two teachers/professors in particular that would be in strong consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My eldest son.
Collaboration of :
First name from both an endearing cousin I used to babysit, and later a guy I dated that was the quintessential gentleman.
His middle name from my stepmoms Dad. He was also a southern gent with intellectual charm.

I often speak highly (and rightly so) of my daughter in law. The only time she has veered from being pollypurebred, is when she named the grand daughters. She made sure they had names of her grandmother's. Pretty sure those children are also kin to my sons side of the family. She said, they have his last name. I responded, til they marry.
If I was your DIL, I'd be sure any future children were solely named after my relatives if my MIL thought she had a say. My in-laws have expressed frustration that I won't follow his family traditions in naming children after living relatives (them). They are mistaken in thinking their opinion has weight, or that giving their opinion reflects positively on them. May you treat your DIL and grands in such a way that they see it fit to name their children after you when you're gone.

Also, it's (hopefully) unlikely by the time your grandchildren are old enough to get married that the majority will still be taking their husband's last names. I'm in my early 30s and none of my peers who have gotten married took their husband's last name, and I don't plan to either. It made sense when people got married as children of 20 or 21, but not as professionals in their late 20s and early 30s.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:06 PM

169 posts, read 129,935 times
Quote:
In my culture, you always name children after someone beloved to the parents who have passed and whose characteristics you want to wish onto your children. It's considered very bad luck to name a child after someone who is still alive, both for the child and for the person who they are named after.
Lol here it's the opposite - it's preferable to name after people who are alive.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:13 PM

35,008 posts, read 16,972,291 times
As an Ashkenazi Jew we named after my deceased father, using the first initial for the English name and his entire Hebrew name. My younger son's name was a bit more complicated. We were going to name him Andrew after my deceased grandmother, Ada, but call him "Drew." My mother kept on asking "how's Andrew"? I told her, one more time and I'm changing the name. She did, and I went back to the hospital and used "blue-out" Correct-O-Type and, before legally becoming an official record, covered over the "A" and the "n", making the name "Drew." We gave him a Hebrew name similar to hers.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:17 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
We decided between us what to name our 3 children. They are common enough names that people will know how to spell them, we didn't want exotic spellings that they would have to correct the spelling to people all their lives.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:43 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post
I'm still single and have no kids yet but I work with so many married people. Besides we work with documents with many names every day, I see names old and names new.

I sometimes imagine the trouble my clients & co-workers went trough having to name their kids.

If I had to take part in naming my children, I'd run into trouble. First, I like so many names that it would be impossible to chose as I'll feel I'll miss the name so to say. On the other hand I seem to always default to names of people I've known - former classmates, childhood friends, favourite teachers or celebrities, relatives alive or not, and even the name of one of the first girls I fell for (my most remembered puppy love).

So I'd like to ask if there are really people who have named their child after a (former) co-worker, teacher, friend or even childhood gf/bf?
Twin son's

Orangejello

Lemonjello

Just add a pseudo French accent to the above, and you've pretty much got it...

Old 07-18-2021, 01:26 AM

169 posts, read 129,935 times
^I've studied French and I like Paris. I hate French culture, their effete language and names, duh! It's usually trashy people that use them out of France anyway (the types that think France is all that, in reality there are at least 5 more important and nicer cultures in Europe alone). My own culture is far more ancient than French one.

I'll only use a name that is common between my own (Slavic) nation and also found in Germany and Sweden, so Vladimir isout since it's just Slavic but Kristian is in as Swedes and Germans have it and we have it here, too.

After all those are the countries we'll travel to often and even live there, why have to correct the other kids? Besides kids can be evil, a very obviously Slavic name in a non-Slavic country could lead to bullying.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:01 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Twin sons

Orangejello

Lemonjello

Just add a pseudo French accent to the above, and you've pretty much got it...

That's a common urban legend...or are they real? Here's a post about that. If interested, be sure to read the comments.

Oranjello & Lemonjello: Do They Exist? – Nancy's Baby Names

Old 07-18-2021, 10:33 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's a common urban legend...or are they real? Here's a post about that. If interested, be sure to read the comments.
These 2 were in my daughter's school. They're about 34 years old now.

Where are they now?

Don't know where 1 is, but the other owns a very successful business, in Calif. (I've personally done about $60,000 worth of business with that entity.) Maybe $70,000 but don't tell the wife!

Come to think of it, she's done $15,000+ herself...

Yeah, his business employs about 75 people...

Old 07-18-2021, 03:12 PM

9,403 posts, read 11,150,657 times
We named one of our cats Bizzie, a long time ago. She was very very bizzie. Busy too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting