Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 01:58 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times

Advertisements

Hey all. My son is going into middle school next year and my wife and I are contemplating on whether or not to get him a cell phone. We would most likely just add him to our plan and get an older iPhone. We have been putting it off as long as possible since he has never really needed one. However, now with him going into middle school he is going to be involved in more school activities (sports/clubs), likes to go over to friends houses, and will be getting home from school before my wife and I get home. Our biggest concern is him being home by himself (even thought it will only be about a half hour). We will definitely have restrictions, especially on social media, but want to easily be in contact with him. We also want him to be able to stay in contact with all of his friends over the summer since pretty much every other kid in his class already has a phone. Any input would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 02:20 PM

84 posts, read 54,724 times
In my opinion we probably don’t fully understand the impact of a society full of people immersed in the digital/connected world from birth basically. Almost makes me think parents might be better off homesteading or something, unplugged out in some small rural town somewhere. As sort of a first generation person raised digitally I think it sorta does something to your mind.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
One Christmas we got all three of them cell phones. It was back in the days of the flip-phone, smart phones had not yet been invented. It was completely different then, because their phones were for communicating with us and a few friends that had them, no social media.

Their ages were 16, 13, and 11.

By the time Facebook came out in 2004, they were 24, 21, and 19, with jobs and able to upgrade to whatever they wanted.

Yes, kids today have far too much dependence on screens. Our grandkids have limited screen time and still spend a lot of time playing without media outdoors.

Old 05-24-2021, 05:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I think middle school is the perfect time to give a child a cell phone. It allows them to have some independence. I know I appreciated not having to sit outside a sports practice waiting for a coach to finally call it quits. Games and practices became their responsibility to keep track of, not mine.

And, believe it or not, not every kid becomes addicted to electronics.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:13 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,041,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think middle school is the perfect time to give a child a cell phone. It allows them to have some independence. I know I appreciated not having to sit outside a sports practice waiting for a coach to finally call it quits. Games and practices became their responsibility to keep track of, not mine.

This. We got our son a cell phone when he started middle school. It made life much simpler. Picking him up at the skating rink, football practice and all of the other activities kids that age participate in was much easier with a cell phone.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

It seems like the overwhelming majority of teens (and adults) I know do strike me as being addicted to some degree. The digital space is crafted to make people addicted...especially those most impressionable. Try spontaneously telling the average 15 yr old — “no electronics (laptop/tablet/smartphone, etc) for 3 months”. Apoplectic may be the appropriate term.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:43 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Got my oldest her first (and up this point, only) cell phone for Christmas when she was in the Middle of 5th grade. Even that year alone, there were 2-3 occasions where one of us needed to get a hold of each other unexpectedly, so I was glad she had it.

I don't know if waiting a couple more years to get it for her would have made any difference in her spending more time on it than she should. There are plenty of adults that spend more time on their phone than some kids do.

My bigger concern for her was whether or not she could be responsible enough to use and care for the phone.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:46 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
We got our oldest son a cell phone when he entered high school. We put it off as long as possible because we knew he would not be able to handle the temptation. We were right. He's on it constantly and we feel that it is an addiction.

Our youngest son is in middle school and will not get one until he gets into high school also. We feel that he will be able to handle it better than our older son, but the precedence has been set and he understands that.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:52 AM

524 posts, read 247,252 times
By middle school is the norm, today. If you’re worried about it inappropriate apps, being glued to the screen for 12 hour per day, etc, make use of the parental controls on the phone. So far, mine haven’t found their way around them, but by 15 I removed their screen time limits anyway; all they need my consent for is downloading apps and making purchases.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
By middle school is the norm, today. If you’re worried about it inappropriate apps, being glued to the screen for 12 hour per day, etc, make use of the parental controls on the phone. So far, mine haven’t found their way around them, but by 15 I removed their screen time limits anyway; all they need my consent for is downloading apps and making purchases.
The “norm” — this is where I feel like ALL of society has entered the digital age with a HUGE addiction problem. And everyone regardless of socioeconomic status is enabling each other by abiding by the “norm”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting