Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2021, 11:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times

Advertisements

As a parent of teenagers, unless you are in the technology fields and follow the latest trends. There is such a big gap between parents who from the analog school of thought and the younger folks who are digital.

I am a digital worker, 100% digital. Working remote at home does not make one person digital. If you need help to troubleshoot your own computer equipment or how to do something on the computer or iPhone then you are still analog.

The problem with kids and parents today is that most analog parents have no clue how to shutdown what their kids are doing on their phones and no idea what content they are accessing or conversing. It's very important to get involved in their digital assets.

I'm very well verse with digital tech so I'm able to follow my kids and ensure they adhere to my rules. And I explain to them all the time what is in tech but I still have gaps.

But so many parents I met and talk to are too busy with their own work and don't have any clues what their kids are accessing and using. It affects my kids too when my kids point out what their friends have access to which is alarming. It's the parents that are just too behind the times to keep up with their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 05:50 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
While my grandchildren are adaptive to the devices and 'modern' treats of quick fixes. My son still has integrated stability in common sense skills. Such as pitching a tent, going clamming. None which the apps can emulate.
My grandson still walks the trails to gather some interesting mushrooms or to gawk at some of the varying trees.
So while you make some fair accessment about the technology divide. The same theme can be said when my parents couldn't quite catch on to my style of music or dance. Luckily I respected my parent and dearly can say...no 100% digital person can replace my parent or her non microwave, grown from a garden and cooked on a stove meal.

Stay digital though... Sounds like that's your niche. Mine is more comfortable out and about experiencing life and enjoying people.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:33 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Stay digital though... Sounds like that's your niche. Mine is more comfortable out and about experiencing life and enjoying people.
That's not at all what the OP is talking about. People can own phones and laptops, have social media accounts, and work remotely while still getting out and enjoying life and people. It's not a one or the other thing.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 8,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But so many parents I met and talk to are too busy with their own work and don't have any clues what their kids are accessing and using. It affects my kids too when my kids point out what their friends have access to which is alarming. It's the parents that are just too behind the times to keep up with their kids.
But... do the parents have to keep up? Progress happens when the young go a bit further. A bio-informatician's parents don't necessarily have to catch up on bio-informatics. New immigrants won't be as fluent in English as their children. "Computational linguistics" is only familiar to those who were in the thick of it in the last 6 years or so.

Even if the parents wanted " to keep up with the kids".... they would submerge into the world of dizzying games (nausea from all those movements), chatting on Discord (90% pointless for the adults), - in short, into an equivalent of a toddler's room stuffed with plastic toys, but without any desire to play with them.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:20 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightness05 View Post
But... do the parents have to keep up? Progress happens when the young go a bit further. A bio-informatician's parents don't necessarily have to catch up on bio-informatics. New immigrants won't be as fluent in English as their children. "Computational linguistics" is only familiar to those who were in the thick of it in the last 6 years or so.

Even if the parents wanted " to keep up with the kids".... they would submerge into the world of dizzying games (nausea from all those movements), chatting on Discord (90% pointless for the adults), - in short, into an equivalent of a toddler's room stuffed with plastic toys, but without any desire to play with them.
This isn't what the OP is talking about either

OP, I have 2 boys, age 16 and 12. The 16 year old is very tech savvy and unfortunately also very defiant. I'm constantly trying to find ways to monitor his cell phone and laptop usage. My house rules are that we have only one operating system for computers (Windows) and one operating system for cell phones/tablets (Android) so that I don't need to learn a half dozen ways to set up a VPN Viewer or a Firewall. My wife's eyes glaze over when I start talking about MAC addresses and router settings. And I'm not even a network engineer. I had to learn by Googling. I can't imagine too many parents having the motivation to learn this stuff, let alone being able to understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting