Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 12:26 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,279,934 times

Advertisements

I find this so bizarre. Does anyone else’s kiddo do this?

My stepkiddo will spend hours on youtube watching other kids play video games. Why not just play the game yourself? I find it weird but he loves it so who am I to judge?

Just wondering if this is like what the kids are doing these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 03:07 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,932,306 times
It's been a 'thing' for a while now. Pretty sure my grown daughter was doing it years ago. She enjoyed the commentary and the various memes that went with it. She is and always has been very into gaming, anime, that kind of thing. I think it's odd but hey, there are worse things they could be in to.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:30 PM

10,143 posts, read 6,585,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I find this so bizarre. Does anyone else’s kiddo do this?

My stepkiddo will spend hours on youtube watching other kids play video games. Why not just play the game yourself? I find it weird but he loves it so who am I to judge?

Just wondering if this is like what the kids are doing these days
Let me get this straight~

You watch your stepson, watching other kids play video games? LOL, just pulling yer chain!

Actually, in video games, there are a few "shortcuts" to the end result. Kids love to share this "cheat" as they feel as if they're getting away with something.
Also, the kids showing the shortcut may feel superior to those that do not use said shortcut.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's been a 'thing' for a while now. Pretty sure my grown daughter was doing it years ago. She enjoyed the commentary and the various memes that went with it. She is and always has been very into gaming, anime, that kind of thing. I think it's odd but hey, there are worse things they could be in to.
Right, of course - I mean, yeah, there are def worse lol, I just dont get it! As long as he’s happy right?

I was just wondering if this is common with kids his age (12). My other is 18 & actually plays the games lol but my 12 yr old isnt with us full-time, lives w/ mom just visiting, so I dont come into contact with many other kids his age.

Lol thanks

Old 07-18-2021, 04:27 PM

117 posts, read 76,175 times
It's like watching sports basically.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:07 PM

16,460 posts, read 19,490,320 times
As a grown adult video gamer, I get it. I think it's lame. But I get it. They learn stuff about the games and competitive games can be like watching sports, and some streamers are funny and make people laugh.
But I think it's lame simply because the few hours of time that I can squeeze in to play a few games, I'm playing. Not watching someone else.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As a grown adult video gamer, I get it. I think it's lame. But I get it. They learn stuff about the games and competitive games can be like watching sports, and some streamers are funny and make people laugh.
But I think it's lame simply because the few hours of time that I can squeeze in to play a few games, I'm playing. Not watching someone else.
Right, exactly. Just play it.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:36 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,801,358 times
My kids' explanation is simply that those YT'ers do it (certain things?) better so they like to watch instead.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:03 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,356,048 times
Sometimes in life you want to the passenger and not the driver? (SHRUG)

My girls like watching youtubers, though as a middle aged woman I don't see the appeal. Just because I don't see the appeal though doesn't mean that there's anything bizarre or 'odd' because they do. I'm sure we've done things our parents thought 'bizarre'.

They watch the youtubers because it comes with comedy, hints, etc....about the same or probably better than reading a strat guide because you're watching someone actually doing the stage. Maybe it saves the kid the frustration of going through a tedious level.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:11 PM

325 posts, read 233,100 times
My kids do this, its a head scratcher.... I tell, them. "Wouldn't you rather play the game, then watching someone who won't stop talking play it?" They think its funny, and I am being 'old'. They say they learn about new games and fun ways to play/secrets about the one they already have.... ok... but that dude with the headset can still do all that without taking up 1/4 of the screen... not appealing to me at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting