Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:23 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
After reading through this thread, a few things stuck out:

1) Do not have a baby when you're living in a house with broken windows and rodents. Find a better spot. It doesn't have to be upscale or fancy but it does have to be free of vermin, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Plus a safe area.

2) Wait until you're married. I know the opinion on this topic is split. However, my brother and his psycho girlfriend ended up living together and having 2 kids. They never married. When he discovered that she was cheating on him while he was working on the road, he wanted out. Also, she turned out to be the mother from h*ll. Since they never married, extricating himself from the relationship was a nightmare, legally speaking. Both kids were DNA tested as he had doubts about their paternity (turned out they were his). I remember my Dad saying that it would have been easier to end it all had they married.

3) You say you're BF works in landscaping. Does he have a registered company and is licensed, bonded and insured? Or is he freelancing and working under the table? If it is the latter, the IRS could catch up to him at some point---not good at all. Also, if he doesn't have any pay stubs to prove he has steady income, finding a better place to live would be a real challenge.

4) Leaving the age differences out of it, it sounds like you never so much as dated anyone but him. You've never experienced being in a relationship with someone else, even if it was brief. Yes, there are many people who marry right out of high school and have long, happy marriages until death does them part. Statistically speaking, the odds are against it.
Another good post. I'm late to this thread so it looks like all the great advice has already been given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 07:30 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you saying, you can't relate to the risk women would place themselves in, if having a child out of wedlock? You have no idea what's at stake for the women? Really??
Yep, celebrities who have kids without marriage make the average person think marriage isn't necessary. I wonder how the kids feel about that?? I wouldn't have kids with anyone who isn't willing to commit to marriage.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:14 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Quote:
Because he's only charging $1000/month, far, far less than the going rate for a decent home in coastal California. He probably told them, that if they want it "as is", he'll only charge $1000. But she says they're "lucky" to get that rent in their location.
$1,000/month rent, OP pays part, boyfriend works seven days per week, yet he worried about finances?

Something doesn't add up.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:16 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Quote:
See, this is what happens when a 30-year-old picks up a teenager, and eventually moves her into a derelict property, and convinces her they're "making a home together". Now he's trying to convince her they're going to make a family together. And it all feels so adult to her, except for all the misgivings she's having, not to mention the condition of the so-called "home", the fact that the main so-called "breadwinner" works 7 days a week and comes home cranky and on edge, but plies her with dreams he can't afford, including a fictitious move "far east from here", that they can't even afford gas and lodging for to get there, wherever that may be.

I'm wondering if there's an element of Stockholm syndrome here.
Can't rep you again.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:01 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
$1,000/month rent, OP pays part, boyfriend works seven days per week, yet he worried about finances?

Something doesn't add up.
He's also been spending whatever income he can get buying trucks and equipment for his "business".

Old 07-22-2021, 09:09 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
3) You say you're BF works in landscaping. Does he have a registered company and is licensed, bonded and insured? Or is he freelancing and working under the table? If it is the latter, the IRS could catch up to him at some point---not good at all. Also, if he doesn't have any pay stubs to prove he has steady income, finding a better place to live would be a real challenge.
We'll need to get an answer from the OP on this, but this raised a flashing neon red flag to me. Aside from the fact that he's been "working" all the 8 years they've been together, since he was 30, but still can't make ends meet, if he's been working under the table, it makes me wonder: is this guy on somebody's wanted poster? Or is he an ex-con? Another good reason for hooking up with a naive teenager, instead of an adult his own age.

Let's hope the answer to the question is "no", and he's operating a legit business.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:13 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
We'll need to get an answer from the OP on this, but this raised a flashing neon red flag to me. Aside from the fact that he's been "working" all the 8 years they've been together, since he was 30, but still can't make ends meet, if he's been working under the table, it makes me wonder: is this guy on somebody's wanted poster? Or is he an ex-con? Another good reason for hooking up with a naive teenager, instead of an adult his own age.

Let's hope the answer to the question is "no", and he's operating a legit business.
Plus, is he paying into Social Security? Or is he sidestepping it such that he will only qualify for a minimum benefit. No point making babies with someone who is planning for indigence in his old age.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:15 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
I would like the OP to post pdfs of her stud’s 1040 Schedule C for the last 2 years and his medical records. I want more information.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:23 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I cannot wade through all that, after the part about being together 8 years and not being married. What are you waiting for? Either fish, or cut bait.

I would want better for my future children than having a father who isn’t legally committed to the family. So, no you should not have children now.

You still have plenty of time to have children later.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:55 AM

982 posts, read 607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSbunny View Post
How come newish members make you suspicious? I'm honestly curious

Our housing situation may have improved since that time, as that was a matter to me I really cared about. I don't update on everything I post on here. I almost considered making a new account because I feared I would be judged from previous posts. Life evolves and mostly what I have said in old posts hold true today but may have shifted a bit.
Also I'm tired of everyone judging him bc of superficial details they don't like, such as his age, how old I was when we met (never mind we are still together and I am well past my teen years), and the fact that he hasn't married me yet. I don't reveal everything about our lives to provide more context to these facts.

I'm not pointing all of this towards you btw, I'm just ranting based on what I have heard many others say, and not even just on here, but over the years I have heard the same criticisms about him over and over (ew, he was a 30 year old who dated a teenager, what a pedo).

Ultimately it's my life and it's up to my own judgement. I know I am choosing to share some things about my life with you guys and you all are nice enough to read over my issues, and I do appreciate your perspectives, I read over them carefully even if I don't always respond. So even though I don't always agree with what everyone tells me, I like having other people read over a particular issue of mine and providing me perspective.

Just... sometimes... I wish people were a little kinder and treated me more as if there is a human being behind this screen who is not unintelligent and also has feelings
I just wanted to say I wish you all the best and of course you have feelings and I am sorry if some of these posts have upset you. Be well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting