Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 04:36 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has been discussed... a search didn't turn it up.

I only have observation to rely on but it appears , from what I've seen, that kids seem pretty comfortable wearing masks.
Is being out in public just giving me the wrong view?
What's been your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 05:32 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
My six-year-old granddaughter is so accustomed to wearing a mask that she forgets to take it off until she's reminded. Yesterday I told her that our school district has decided to make masks optional for the upcoming school year, and she wasn't sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:43 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Our kids have worn masks indoors from kindergarten through 2nd grade now with no issues. They run and play in them with no problems. They forget to take them off unless reminded. Kids, in general, are looking for authority figures and are very compliant with sensible precautions (like wearing a mask during a pandemic). Surgical masks did make them extra hot in humid weather if they were really exerting themselves, but we don't wear them outdoors since the guidelines were made more sensible. We're lucky to live in an area with year-round good weather, so they are outdoors more often than not.

If they are the only ones masked--like at a supermarket--they might ask us about it, and we tell them that no matter what other people are doing, we are responsible for our own behavior. Since they can't yet be vaccinated, they could spread the virus and so they are protecting other people by wearing the masks.

They are okay with this explanation, though we have to remind them not to be unkind to unmasked kids just because their parents decided not to protect other people. As well, other kids might have a physical or mental problem that prevents them from wearing masks. They are twins and have zero compunction about ganging up on bullies, so that means we have to be careful to avoid them becoming the bullies.

We used to have surgical masks, which offer some measure of personal protection but we ran out of those and now just have cloth masks that may help prevent spread to others but do nothing to protect them. We don't trust Chinese-made masks (which are pretty much the only surgical masks now available to children in the USA). We've picked them up at stores and places that offer them and they smell like VOC's, so we won't use them. Fortunately, the virus continues to be basically harmless to young children.

We don't mask outdoors since those (silly outdoor) mandates were dropped, even on busy playgrounds. A few months ago, they would keep their distance from other kids, but we've told them they don't need to bother with that any longer, and they've long since lost any hesitancy about playing with other kids from those bad old days.

I'm happy that our school district is going to require masks indoors, but not on the playground. They are still deciding what to do about band, choir, and theater. They are taking a very sensible approach despite all the radical nonsense from the wingnuts. There are still parents who want distance learning options and others who want no precautions at all, treating their children like political statements rather than human beings.

All that said, I can see how masks would be more problematic for children who live in areas where the weather is bad--either very hot or very cold--during the transition between indoors and outdoors, and when the only option for getting strenuous exercise is indoors.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
A large part of it is bc kids will believe what their parents tell them. The ones denying science, vaccines & masks etc are adults. If parents say they need to need a wear a mask bc it keeps them healthy, they’re going to believe it - younger ones especially

Old 07-21-2021, 01:32 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
My 7yo and 11yo wear the mask even when I tell them they can take it off. They're much better at it than I am!

Old 07-21-2021, 01:56 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Kids, in general, are looking for authority figures and are very compliant with sensible precautions
Tell that to my kid! You are lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
A large part of it is bc kids will believe what their parents tell them. The ones denying science, vaccines & masks etc are adults. If parents say they need to need a wear a mask bc it keeps them healthy, they’re going to believe it - younger ones especially
Tell that one to my kid too! I don’t know if kids believe what their parents tell them or not (actually, my experience is that most don’t) but I know that many just don’t care. That’s one of the reasons why we got our kid vaccinated ASAP. Maybe younger ones are better at this…mine is 13 now but was never compliant and does not seem like he ever really had a lot of faith in my words.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:00 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Tell that one to my kid too! I don’t know if kids believe what their parents tell them or not (actually, my experience is that most don’t) but I know that many just don’t care. That’s one of the reasons why we got our kid vaccinated ASAP. Maybe younger ones are better at this…mine is 13 now but was never compliant and does not seem like he ever really had a lot of faith in my words.
FWIW, my 7yo NEVER LISTENS TO ME AT ALL (e.g., why am I still fighting over teeth-brushing?!?!) but he wears his mask even when I tell him that we're outside with NO ONE else around and it's fine to take off. Odds are that he'll wear it religiously at recess and use it as a chin hammock in crowded elevators with sweating, hacking people.

He's too young to vax, but I am not even ready to think about what he will be like as a tween/teen!!!

Old 07-21-2021, 03:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Tell that to my kid! You are lucky.

I guess it depends on the kid. Also im sure their teachers are saying the same thing too, gotta wear a mask, typically someone little like my 5 yr old niece will believe it if her parents & teachers are saying it. Sure not all kids will but a good portion will … once they get older, they get more defiant.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:18 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I really was wondering more about how they felt about wearing them , not so much doing what they are told.
You know, whining about it or tugging at them or taking them off when you're not looking.
The majority of you so far seems to have answered that.
I'm glad to hear it.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:57 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
My two year old won’t wear one for longer than two seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting