Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 01:48 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times

Advertisements

Jesus didn't have any physical kids. Then there's the flip side. Look at some of the kids to adults people had. One more point. How many kids are planned?

No by choice I don't have any kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 04:26 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i fully support anyone who chooses not to have kids.
i fully support and am utterly 100% in favor of it being a conscious choice to have children or not have children.

i applaud and respect and admire those who choose not to have kids.
Child-free by choice, this is the reaction I have gotten from everyone. "I respect you for knowing yourself that well".

I knew without a doubt, as a child myself, parenthood was not for me. When I got accidently pregnant, I arranged for an adoption (but miscarried) so someone pining for one would benefit.

My mother DID say the "selfish" thing once, but as her kid, I ignored it.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:45 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Childfree by choice here. Have been told I'm selfish (by a would-be grandmother and by parents). I find that people who are content with their own choices are, if anything, curious about mine, whereas those (mostly men) who barreled into parenthood because "that's just what you do" deeply resent hearing that it was a choice.

You learn a lot about people working the night shift, that's for sure.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:05 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Oh, and another thing. Then, I don't want to pay to put your kids through school. Childless people should not have to pay for those of you who chose to bear progeny. Not fair, especially when I think teaching these days has become more like indoctrination.
Did you go through school? Who paid for that?

Everyone pays through taxes for things that they may or may not actually use, but which benefit society as a whole.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Oh, and another thing. Then, I don't want to pay to put your kids through school. Childless people should not have to pay for those of you who chose to bear progeny. Not fair, especially when I think teaching these days has become more like indoctrination.
You want to live in a society with no education? You want neighbors who can't read or write and who can't contribute?

I never understood this mentality. When you pay school taxes, you are paying for your own benefit. You are paying for a mentally capable society that can progress economically.

As for indoctrination "these days", 40 years ago I was taught to pledge allegiance to the flag and to God or face punishment, to not question conservative authority, and that slavery and genocide were a negligible footnote in an otherwise illustrious and blameless history of perfect benevolence. That, my friend, is indoctrination. That is the stuff of 3rd world dictatorships.

I love America warts and all. How can you respect a country that pretends its flaws don't exist? National narcissism is not a respectable thing.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
People will judge you negatively if you have kids, don't have kids, have too many kids, not enough kids...it's no one's business but the individual's and they don't need to provide any rationale for their decision in any of those cases.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:20 AM

1,719 posts, read 730,333 times
If someone calls you "selfish" for being childfree, simply ask them why they decided to have children.

Their answer will usually begin with "I wanted ..."

Old 07-24-2021, 07:36 AM

233 posts, read 191,001 times
I've never felt judgement by being childless (still a fencesitter - not yet childfree).
Even if I did, I understand why. My life is easier, more carefree than those who have children. Otherwise, I would have them myself.
And I support any and all initiatives and taxes that would make childcare easier for parents.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:41 AM

233 posts, read 191,001 times
Quote:
This is dumb. Children are an investment in the nations future. I don't want us to be like Japan. You either now or will depend on others "progeny" to service you. Unless you wouldn't mind robots wiping your butt or drawing your blood.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:12 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
I would never make assumptions about why people didn't have kids. Maybe they wanted to and had difficulty and just don't want to talk about it - who knows?

I've met plenty of people without kids who I think would be great parents, and plenty of morons with kids where I feel sorry for the kids.

I love being a mom but I took on responsibility for raising my stepkids in my mid 20's. Now in my early 50's my one bio child is going off to college on the other side of the country and I'm really struggling. I've always worked but all my decisions and our lifestyle and schedule were based on what was best for the kids. Feeling pretty lost now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting