Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 08:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

My 12 year old granddaughter got her first period a month after turning 12. Between her mother and I we got her what she needed. When she went on vacation I asked her about trying tampons but she was not interested at that time.

She downloaded an app on her phone that keeps track of her period so she is not caught unaware as the first couple of months can be a bit irregular.

I also got my first period a few months after turning 12 but my sister didn't get hers till she was 14. Girls seem to be getting them earlier and earlier these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 10:39 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
I really am amazed how girls that age can handle such a disruption to their otherwise-carefree lives. Growing up is hard enough!

I was so lucky to be 21 before getting "cursed". Already an adult and I still hated and resented it. My only advice is no white pants!

Kids have so much to deal with these days; esp. girls!

Old 08-18-2021, 10:46 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
She downloaded an app on her phone that keeps track of her period so she is not caught unaware as the first couple of months can be a bit irregular.
Oh yeah, THIS! My daughter got an app ASAP. It's, of course, very irregular in the beginning, but the app adjusts and helps predict when her next cycle will begin. Several apps are focused on conceiving, so you may want to check them out before selecting one.

There is a study examining early periods, how the body adjusts, how weight impacts cycles, etc. I don't know if it is available near you, but it's a very supportive and positive-focused study; and participants can make serious bank. It can be quite involved if the participants choose to do all of the activities, but it has been amazingly educational and positive for my daughter.

https://joinastudy.niehs.nih.gov/stu...riod/index.htm

Old 08-18-2021, 11:06 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I really am amazed how girls that age can handle such a disruption to their otherwise-carefree lives. Growing up is hard enough!

I was so lucky to be 21 before getting "cursed". Already an adult and I still hated and resented it. My only advice is no white pants!

Kids have so much to deal with these days; esp. girls!
I have never heard of a woman starting at 21.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:32 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Niece at 10, daughter at 12 (but emotionally, she was more like 9). Both never used pads - went straight to tampons. I was pretty shocked. I remember what a struggle it was for me to make the move to tampons, but once I did, never went back!

Anyway, I just offered daughter all the options, got her the supplies, and let her take care of it, which she did, and pretty well, all things considered.

One recommendation - get her some black cotton bikini underwear to use during her periods, if she wants to. They don't show any stains.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:46 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thanks… re tampons I’ll give her that as an option but she may feel uncomfortable right now inserting them.

Spencgr…thanks but she already finds it a burden without me saying anything. Also you put the word burdened in quotes as if I said that in my post when I have not. natural or not it can be a burden and a pain..literally and figuratively. Nothing wrong with feeling that it is. We women just deal with it but it is what it is. I don’t need to be counseled on how to approach menstruation, we’re both aware of its function and are past that. as sassy pointed out she is still a young girl, earlier than most of her classmates and I am just interested in hearing from either people who have either gone through early onset puberty or who have girls who are similar.
I think MOMS can be more uncomfortable with their daughters using tampons than the daughter herself. If you can objectively tell her the positives (like if she enjoys swimming, etc.) and address her concerns about the mechanics of it and yeah, confirm it is completely unrelated to virginity, then please do so. Start with the slender juniors or whatever they are calling them now, and maybe the first time on the 2nd or 3rd day when the flow is a little heavier.

My mom actually took me to my first ob/gyn the summer after I started because we went to the pool several times a week and she wanted me "checked out" before using tampons. I think that was pretty overboard but it wasn't traumatic and I guess it got me started on regular checkups later.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:20 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,313 times
Quote:
My 10 year old daughter hit puberty pretty early, culminating with getting her first period this week.
...We've already discussed periods and she knows the drill as she has an older sister. But it's still a bit unnerving/uncomfortable for her. Plus, I think she'd be the first in her friends group to be going through that and all that it entails. I really feel for her being the early one of the bunch. Honestly, it kind of sucks as she feels a bit embarrassed having to wear a pad and deal with 'period stuff' whereas her friends don't right now.
Just a big THANK YOU for being the kind of mother you are! (Preparing her even earlier than you rhought was necessary!)

I had mine start at 11... With NO IDEA about it, whatsoever! NO pads or tampons available (not everybody even had pocket money at that point... nor the ability or the nerve to go shopping to buy those! Not to mention that in my country, they were just beginning to appear)

Very, VERY damaging to my self-esteem, femininity, and all sorts of issues stemming from that!

Old 08-18-2021, 09:58 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Hi there,

My 10 year old daughter hit puberty pretty early, culminating with getting her first period this week.

I was an 'early bloomer' as well, had my first period at 11, but still not as early as my youngest daughter. My oldest daughter started her period the average age of 12 1/2.

I was somewhat surprised that she started menstruating four months after her 10th birthday, and I'm talking a true flow that requires sanitary pads, not just spotting.

We've already discussed periods and she knows the drill as she has an older sister. But it's still a bit unnerving/uncomfortable for her. Plus, I think she'd be the first in her friends group to be going through that and all that it entails. I really feel for her being the early one of the bunch. Honestly, it kind of sucks as she feels a bit embarrassed having to wear a pad and deal with 'period stuff' whereas her friends don't right now.

Any of you have girls who are also 'early bloomers'? Anything you'd like to share? I know her age is normal, it's just the younger side of normal

thanks!
I think 10 is early. I would take her to see an endocrinologist. I feel for her too. I am not sure if anything can be done at this point, but I would check with an MD to see.

https://www.pubertytoosoon.com/about...d224741fa25e69

Best of luck to you both.

Last edited by sheena12; 08-18-2021 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-19-2021, 02:08 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have never heard of a woman starting at 21.
Persons who are very athletic @ a young age ( active) are often delayed in this stage of puberty.

Add in the normalcy of generational history- This poster may have a genetic time clock for when her menses' were to kick in.

I went to school with an endearing friend who blossomed quite early- she was 9-10. It was sooo challenging for her because We were a PRIVATE school in teaching and in demeanor . (The - We don't talk about this- Private type school) . Her mother was so compassionate towards her darling daughter. Thank heavens for that! Because that monthly interruption for a 9 year old was hard to incorporate......

Tampons and toxic shock....not a good combo for a teen.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:37 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My younger daughter is turning 11 and is nowhere near as developed as my oldest was at that age. It's also quite clear to me that she's going to be considerably taller than her sister and likely me as well. My youngest is under 5'4" and done growing and I'm pretty convinced her relatively short stature was influenced by the early puberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think 10 is early. I would take her to see an endocrinologist. I feel for her too. I am not sure if anything can be done at this point, but I would check with an MD to see.
Once periods start, it IS too late...but for anyone reading this who may find the info useful, girls who are starting to show signs of puberty too young (such as breast development at 6-7) should definitely see a doctor. It is correct that reaching puberty puts a limit on growth for a girl, and if it starts too soon, she will be shorter than she should be and there can be other issues as well. Some friends of ours had this happen to their young daughter and she went to an endocrinologist to delay puberty until she was several years and several inches taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Tampons and toxic shock....not a good combo for a teen.
I hope you're not implying that teens should not use tampons. They are a lifesaver, figuratively speaking, for so many teens, especially those who are active in sports (I wouldn't have been able to participate in gymnastics without them). Of course teens need to learn and be reminded to change them regularly, but young women who use tampons properly are not at very little risk for toxic shock syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting