Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 10:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,111,798 times

Advertisements

I am an uncle and have a preteen niece and a preteen nephew.

Is it OK for me to send them candy and gifts without getting permission from their parents?

They all were in town, and I was supposed to take my niece and nephew to a famous candy store. I did, but it was closed for the night when we arrived.

I’d like to ship my niece and nephew some candy from that store, since they were apparently looking forward to it, but I don’t want to be going behind their parents to do so.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 11:00 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,777,260 times
Wouldn't it be easier to just check with their parents first? Do you not get along with their parents?

Old 08-29-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just check with their parents first? Do you not get along with their parents?
I do. I think this answers the question. I’ll hold off on sending anything.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:20 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,749,825 times
This is kind of a curious question, OP.

Few parents would be upset, since you were taking them to a candy store anyway, with you sending them candy in the mail. I would think a package addressed to the family with a couple samples of different things from the store would be absolutely welcome, and I would certainly feel comfortable just texting them before doing that to say I'd love to send y'all some candy from that store - is that ok?

This isn't something you'd usually have to navigate with great care.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:34 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,777,260 times
This is peculiar..........

Old 08-29-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
This is peculiar..........
Well, better safe than sorry. As I’ve stated, I can be clueless about things, especially involving parenting since I don’t have any kids.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:41 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,530,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I am an uncle and have a preteen niece and a preteen nephew.

Is it OK for me to send them candy and gifts without getting permission from their parents?

They all were in town, and I was supposed to take my niece and nephew to a famous candy store. I did, but it was closed for the night when we arrived.

I’d like to ship my niece and nephew some candy from that store, since they were apparently looking forward to it, but I don’t want to be going behind their parents to do so.

Thanks.
I've often sent things to my own niece and nephew over the years with no prior approval from their parents. My brother and sister-in-law have never seen such a thing as "going behind their back"--especially when they're the ones who tend to collect the mail and any packages that come to their home or office(s). Usually, if I send anything edible like that, it's sent as a gift that's addressed to the entire family that they can then share once it arrives.

Do you share a close relationship with your sibling/their parents or is your relationship with him/her/them as fraught as that which you share with your parents? The only reason that I ask this question is that if your relationship with your sibling and/or in-law is of a more typical nature (or is close), it would likely not be taken amiss if you sent the children a care package containing the candy. If it's similar to the relationship that you have with your parents, it might be wise to tread lightly and vet things through the kids' parents before sending them anything.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:47 PM

45,035 posts, read 60,050,709 times
Things aren't supposed to be this difficult.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I've often sent things to my own niece and nephew over the years with no prior approval from their parents. My brother and sister-in-law have never seen such a thing as "going behind their back"--especially when they're the ones who tend to collect the mail and any packages that come to their home or office(s). Usually, if I send anything edible like that, it's sent as a gift that's addressed to the entire family that they can then share once it arrives.

Do you share a close relationship with your sibling/their parents or is your relationship with him/her/them as fraught as that which you share with your parents? The only reason that I ask this question is that if your relationship with your sibling and/or in-law is of a more typical nature (or is close), it would likely not be taken amiss if you sent the children a care package containing the candy. If it's similar to the relationship that you have with your parents, it might be wise to tread lightly and vet things through the kids' parents before sending them anything.

Thanks. I sense that my brother tolerates me, because you have to tolerate family members to some extent. My sister in law is very warm and welcoming, though, but I've offended them once and tread on thin ice, I know.

Old 08-29-2021, 01:09 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,530,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Thanks. I sense that my brother tolerates me, because you have to tolerate family members to some extent. My sister in law is very warm and welcoming, though, but I've offended them once and tread on thin ice, I know.
With that information, it might not be a bad idea to reach out to your sister-in-law and tell her what you have in mind and the context in which the thought had occurred, i.e., "I know that the kids really wanted to check out *insert name of candy store*, but since time was at a premium during our last visit an outing to the candy store didn't happen. Do you think that the kids might enjoy receiving a surprise package in the mail with some of their favorite sweets (and is there something that you and *name of brother* might like to have for you to enjoy, too)? Thank you and look forward to seeing you again soon, GSP Native"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting