Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 04:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I'm not the only parent here who is proud to have raised children that are adults that make the world a better place to be.

Last edited by moneill; 10-01-2021 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 04:19 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I see it as even more disturbing than mass psychosis. It looks to me like self-destructive ideology and behavior. Don't replicate yourself. It defies the natural flow. Many of the gifts of science do and they can be misapplied.

Overweight, unhappy twenty-something coming out of a store as I am going in. Her hair, in a messy bun was so cute and she looked so miserable.

I said, "Such a becoming hair style!"

She said, "This ratty mess?"

That is not self-nurturing. Where is her sense of value? She, at present, has more freedoms than any woman who went before. Where's the enjoyment? Sigh.

It's not hopeless and there are answers but I wonder if people are in too much of a media-driven trance to self-examine.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
It's not just overpopulation. The majority of people don't have careers they truly enjoy. We are seeing that now with "The Great Resignation". You work all your life in this rat race and by the time you can retire you are too old to enjoy anything. Pretty depressing when you think about it.

If you are poor you are giving birth to a future Walmart slave. If middle class and can afford college you are just one step up by providing the world with another corporate slave.

Unless independently wealthy and in a position to set your kids up for life, it's pretty selfish to have them.

Most people don't tell their parents this, but are disappointed with their lot in life. I really can't blame them.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:16 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
He certainly doesn't sound that smart. At least he had a smart daughter.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:20 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I think this sort of thinking is....sick.

My cousin is smart - he is an eagle scout (back when becoming an Eagle scout was still a true task), he was valedictorian of his HS, and he got a full ride through college to study biology.

And he has told all four of his children not to have children of their own, and they have pretty much bought into his twisted rhetoric (only one of them, the girl, had a child).

How do you tell someone like this how poisonous this thinking is? The smartest, most productive people in society have bought into this de facto genocide they have had their minds infiltrated with, and we see the ramifications of that throughout society. It drives me mad.

We, humans, are the only species on earth that would tell our children not to reproduce. I think it is just so demonic and sad.
There are many reasons in today's world not to have a child. I'm sure if they had wanted them, they would have had them. Pointing out the world's ills like global warming to his children is smart, IMO. Nothing demonic about it.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I'm always so surprised at threads like this, where people are saying you shouldn't bring a baby into this world.

We've never had it so good, ever. Never in the history of mankind, has the world been a better place.

Fewer people starving, fewer people being shunned and hated, fewer people dying of disease, fewer people working themselves to the bone, literally, and overtaxing their physical strength just to survive. Fewer people illiterate, fewer people isolated, fewer people kept in the attic because the family is embarrassed about a handicap, etc.

We ain't never had it so good. Man, what a bunch of softies.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:35 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Tell your cousin not to listen to the leftwing lunatics but listen to the highest authority of all!

“Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.
Geeze. Didn't we already do that? And then some. If you think mankind has not already filled the earth, please open your eyes. Not to mention fishing to the point of extinction for many species. And cutting down the forests to take away the habitats of the birds.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:40 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
You have very strong feelings about something that is none of your concern. One of the kids didn't listen and had a baby, which is how it works for all of them. They can follow the parental advice or not, as they see fit.

Perhaps you should worry more about yourself, and follow your own advice and have some kids.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-01-2021, 06:15 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm always so surprised at threads like this, where people are saying you shouldn't bring a baby into this world.

We've never had it so good, ever. Never in the history of mankind, has the world been a better place.

Fewer people starving, fewer people being shunned and hated, fewer people dying of disease, fewer people working themselves to the bone, literally, and overtaxing their physical strength just to survive. Fewer people illiterate, fewer people isolated, fewer people kept in the attic because the family is embarrassed about a handicap, etc.

We ain't never had it so good. Man, what a bunch of softies.
This.

The solution to a bad environment is resilience and positive attitude. And hard work. And cooperation.
People need to be raised with those values.

Giving up never worked. History bears that out over and over.

Some of our ancestors had to pull a plow in the hot sun just to grow enough food for their families to eat. No one was excused from work from the smallest to the oldest member of a family.

Get a hangnail and die of sepsis within a week. If not, die at fifty, with no teeth, back all messed up, half blind and diseased. No retirement or vacation at all.

Makes a job at Walmart look pretty cushy.

And that was just the blink of an eye ago but I can guarantee there was more laughter at harvesttime then than you can see at an amusement park today. It is true - a life without faith in something or hope is worthless.

But we are here because these people knew the value of the small joys of life. And they knew how to live with loss and disappointment. Today our children being raised by government and media don't. They are told they always need more. And having children will get in the way of getting enough of what we want.

It's not the world. That's always been a hostile environment for humans. It's the change in attitude, the sense of entitlement.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:22 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I'm 35 years old, and my youngest sibling is 29. I don't have any children. Neither do my brother and sister. My parents never told us "don't have children". We were taught to wait until we're ready. I'm not ready for children. It's one of the reasons I choose to not have sex until I'm married (my faith is the biggest part of it). My sister doesn't seem ready to have children. My brother doesn't seem interested right now either. I'm trying to build my career, trying to do my own things. In addition, I haven't found the right women. My siblings haven't found anyone worth having children with.

I couldn't find a woman worth being with because I either struggled with getting rejected, or there were many instances where I stopped trying. By the time I was in my late 20s, the majority of people I knew were married and/or had children. And something tells me I'd have a difficult time dating someone who already has children. I've been a bachelor my whole life. I've had friends who were women, but no girlfriend.

My sister had a few boyfriends, but could never quite find that right man to marry. She's single and concentrating on working and doing for herself. Basically, the "independent" type.

My brother was kind of a player. He was a player when he was younger (college years). Now, in his late 20s, he kind of just does his own thing. He's more concerned with work and taking care of himself than pursuing women.

Basically, we're a bit too busy with our own lives to have children.

I also think about this. Alot of single women I run into aren't worth being with. I'm often told, based on my values, to meet a woman in church. I can't find any in church because the vast majority of women in church (my church at least) are married. I've seen more single men in church than single women. I had a chat with one man after service about reasons I'm single. I mentioned than I'm someone who just doesn't see many women worth marrying or having children with. Alot of women who would make good wives, good mothers, loving women, are already married with kids. I also don't see many single woman out very much to begin with (that I can tell who are). I'm not going to go after women in their early 20s (21-24), especially if said women are sauntering around the club (I was never much of a clubbing type of person).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting