Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2021, 12:54 PM

73,086 posts, read 62,717,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
OINK is great too. I wasn't saying you are a DINK, I was making a point that generally speaking DINK households are the most economically efficient.
Having children isn't cheap. I also consider that if I ever have children, I'd want them in private school. And that isn't cheap.

DINK households typically have more economic stability.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:05 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,222,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
1) Fewer people starving 2) Fewer people being shunned and hated 3) Fewer people dying of disease 4) Fewer people working themselves to the bone, literally, and overtaxing their physical strength just to survive. 5) Fewer people isolated
1) And more obese and unhealthy people.
2) And more people who feel unloved/unwanted/neglected.
3) You're still going to die.
4) Primitive peoples worked fewer hours than we do.
5) We feel more lonely and isolated now than ever. Loneliness increases with population density.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...o-feel-lonely/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
People been immigrating for thousands of years, it use to be that we were lucky to live past 40’s, women died frequently in child birth, multiple plagues.
1) Immigration is not the same as migration. Immigration is practically unheard of in history except from conquest(which I guess was actually emigration), until capitalism.
2) The low average life-expectancy rates of the past were almost entirely the fault of high child-mortality rates. If you survived your first few years your life-expectancy shot to 60+.
3) Women were more likely to die in child-birth than today but it was still quite rare, and usually only in the first pregnancy.
4) Plagues weren't an everyday thing. Europe went hundreds of years plague-free before the bubonic plague. And the bubonic plague was spread from Asia by international trade.

https://origins.osu.edu/connecting-h...plague-lessons

Last edited by Redshadowz; 10-02-2021 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-02-2021, 01:07 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I will try to find the link.

How about you provide one to back up your claim that whites use the most welfare?

You know how that can be a junk claim, right? For example, if whites use up 38% of all welfare, for example (more than any other group), and blacks use up, let's say, 35% of all welfare, and whites are 60% of the population and blacks are 12% of the population, then you can claim "see, whites use up more welfare than anyone", though it's a junk claim.

You do realize that, right?

I find it to be like real estate, location, location, location.

For me, the numbers are evenly spread enough that I don't find any one group "getting the most". It's pretty evenly used across all races.

In urban areas, more minorities, in rural areas, more whites.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-02-2021, 01:12 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,222,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's pretty evenly used across all races.
Poor people use welfare. Hispanics and Blacks are poorer than whites.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
It's really much easier to have kids when you are young. We had three by the time I was 30 and my wife was 28. The only things in life I planned was to graduate college which I did by living at home and working to pay for it myself, and always getting a job with a pension, just in case I lived to retirement age. Everything else was just working hard and getting by.

We started with nothing. We used our savings to pay for a wedding and the wedding gifts to buy three rooms of furniture. We were in an apartment for the first 11 years. My wife was a stay at home mom for 15 years until the youngest was 12.

I used credit cards to stay afloat and bought a house at the age of 38. I never worried about money. I told my wife we would be fine and she believed me. I didn't see financial daylight until my 50's. My wife retired at 57. I retired the following year at 62, with no debt, a paid off house, a pension and an IRA. I've been retired 13 years and The IRA has more in it today than when I retired. Money is easy. Having a spouse and kids is difficult. But at 75 I look back and can say that is what we were here for. Nothing else we did really had any lasting value.
I don't think so. I wasn't ready to have kids when I was 24 or 25 years old. Financially, I wasn't there. I was finishing up college in my mid 20s (after taking some time off). I never got to find the right woman. I've pretty much been rejected by females in terms of trying to get a girlfriend. One reason I never got married. I was never anyone's type. I wasn't ready to have kids at 24 or 25 years old.

This is the thing with me. I couldn't start with nothing. I don't want to even think about bringing a child into the world until EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING is optimal. I want to make sure I own my own home. I've dealt with a few situations where I work for a company for a few years, then get laid off, and then I have to wait until another job comes along. Imagine having a child. I don't want to just "get buy".

I'm not going to use credit cards to stay afloat. I've got enough to deal with. I don't want to take on MORE. debt than I'm already taking on. I considered getting a mortgage for a house. However, I felt like taking on more debt wouldn't be worth it.

I'm in my 30s and I've watched other people go through debt to get a home and other things. It took my father over 20 years to pay his house off. My father did this with little to no help. He was paying the mortgage by himself.

I think about this. It might have worked for you. It worked for my father. However, I don't think it would work for me. I want to wait until I have enough money to buy my own home up front, no mortgage. I wasn't ready to have a kid when I was 20 or 25. I wasn't ready when I was 30. I'm still not ready.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:15 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find it to be like real estate, location, location, location.

For me, the numbers are evenly spread enough that I don't find any one group "getting the most". It's pretty evenly used across all races.

In urban areas, more minorities, in rural areas, more whites.
Do you have links? If you can provide one, I'd like to see how all welfare (housin, Healthcare and food) breaks down along racial lines. I mean, you made the claim.

I'll try to find the info on my state in the meantime...

Old 10-02-2021, 01:19 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Poor people use welfare. Hispanics and Blacks are poorer than whites.
NBC White House correspondent Geoff Bennett claimed that whites use food stamps and Medicaid the most out of any ethnic group.

Whites make up the largest share of those receiving food stamps (36 percent) and Medicaid (43 percent). Hispanics comprise the largest ethnic group to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (37 percent).

— Geoff Bennett (@GeoffRBennett) October 11, 2018

“Whites make up the largest share of those receiving food stamps (36 percent) and Medicaid (43 percent),” he tweeted Oct. 11. “Hispanics comprise the largest ethnic group to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (37 percent).”

Verdict: True

Whites make up the largest share of food stamps and Medicaid recipients, but as a share of the U.S. population, they utilize proportionally less than other ethnic groups.

https://checkyourfact.com/2018/10/18...d-food-stamps/

Like I said, it is evenly spread across all the races. Lots of poor white people too.

My MIL gets food stamps, my mom lives in subsidized elderly housing. Poor old whites.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-02-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber rain View Post
I think we are seeing this trend because we has a people have evolved. We can control our reproduction and wait until the time is optimal for starting a family. Along with this education and the empowerment of women. As women it no longer considered our primary objective nor is it an expectation to squat out babies as quickly as possible.

One thing my Father taught us all is to avoid needless debt and to have a solid life plan. Having kids before you have achieved your goals or have ensured financial stability is always a mistake.
Society's expectations are changing. It is not only learning how to control reproduction. It is about more people deciding what they really want. As education increases, the number of children decreases.

Your father taught you well. There are many things one should think about before starting a family.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:20 PM

27,175 posts, read 15,356,275 times
Glad that my two kids have children- 6 grandchildren all together.
I will say I am taken aback quite a bit when I think of what the world holds for them growing up in these times.

The debt alone is enough to worry about that we have passed on with much of it not necessary.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:20 PM

24,026 posts, read 15,125,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
it has not always been the case that children were expensive to raise. A single income household in the 1950s could raise children without breaking the bank. I know because my father is a product of said situation.
My dad had a problem with John Barleycorn so mom got a divorce.

She was able to get 3 kids though school while working at a department store in the 50s and early 60s. One brother had a degree in chemistry the other in accounting. I quit due to morning sickness.

We were able to get 3 kids out of school up and running on one salary. Then dh retired at 52. Although boredom soon set in so he took all kinds of jobs with various companies so he could examine their management. Not much pay but he found it enlightening and entertaining. Sure taught him which retail stocks to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting