Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 02:30 PM

508 posts, read 519,566 times

Advertisements

Family/House Rules implementation drawback ?
======================================

Thanks for replying to my threads. Here is the background. This forum gave many insights.

We know many business have set of rules from CEO to all employees to follow for healthy business atmosphere.

I am thinking of building one for my family as Family Rules doc/guidelines to adopt/enforce family values etc.

It can work like country's constitution .

What you folks think about this ?

Are there any web resources to build one?

What are the pros and cons having this?

Thanks for guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 06:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,959,102 times
My immediate thought was way don't you just teach/promote "family values" by being good role models as parents? At first glance, it appears to be somewhat controlling or authoritarian to do this by ordering your child (and spouse?) to follow your "rules".

I'll use my family as an example. Both of our extended families value education. Did we use that as a club to demand obedience from our children? Heck no!

But, they did observe both Hubby and I continuing to further our already advanced degrees in our fields. Our children saw us taking classes and attending workshops on cutting edge methods in our profession, as well as reading professional journals and attending conferences and meetings regarding our careers.

Our children are now adults. One has a Ph.D. and has done a substantial amount of both independent and collaborative research in his field. The other just finished a master's degree, in another country completely in a foreign language.

Both of our extended families value reading. Did we force our children to enjoy reading? Heck, no!

However, Hubby and I were role models by showing how much we enjoyed reading. Our family had subscriptions to several newspapers and magazines, and also visited public libraries and book stores on a regular basis. Our family had a daily evening "quiet hour". It was a time to quietly read to ourselves or others or do homework or paperwork. Obviously, no TV or electronics, except soft background music (frequently classical).

As adults, our children continue their love of reading, as well as interest in current events. And have passed that love to another generation.

I could share example after example of ways that Hubby and I showed our commitment to key values by leading by example rather than making rules and demanding obedience. Volunteering, community service, political activism, equality for all, even caregiving are all values that we shared though our actions and behavior. Did we have to "make rules" for our family? Nope.

Should you "make rules" for your family to follow? IMHO, leading by example is much better.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:08 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,229,551 times
Agree 100% with Germaine. Being a role model is the best way to impart values to children. We did similar things with reading, plus the bonus--they had to go to bed at a certain time, but they were allowed to keep the lights on for an extra 30 minutes if they were reading. Guess what my kids did every night before they slept?

Certainly we had expectations for routines and school work, etc. but these weren't written. They were communicated through a lifetime and on a daily basis when appropriate.

I can really see some sort of written document going wrong in lots of ways. It seems very controlling, and I imagine pre-teens and teens would resent it and rebel because of it.

If you really want some sort of family constitution than create it as a family. THAT could be a learning and bonding experience for the family. Even very young children know the difference between good and bad behavior and have ideas about what they would like. Doing at as a family would teach your children that they have a voice. That's all more important and meaningful than some arbitrary document that YOU BUILD alone.

And good gosh, families are not meant to be run like corporations. I hope you don't use this kind of business language with your children. Families involve emotions and love. Corporations do not.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:40 PM

6,695 posts, read 4,676,011 times
Well, can't rules for home just be treating each other kindly and with respect? The needs of individuals, their strength and weakness, all are going to be different.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:28 AM

11,755 posts, read 11,943,473 times
How old are your kids and what rules do you have in mind that you feel the need to list them in a written document?

Old 10-25-2021, 09:50 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,933,685 times
Well...actually, I don't think the idea of a document setting out the family house rules is so bad. I think it CAN be a really good idea, IF the intention is to treat ALL the family members in a fair and equitable way.

You can build in a system of review, where maybe once a month, the rules can be reviewed and changed if need be, with family member input.

It's good for children to know what the expectations are in a family, and should not have to guess, or walk on egg shells, worrying about upsetting a parent, or be treated like the scape goat, or red headed step child, etc.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:43 PM

16,295 posts, read 10,324,347 times
"You," singular, should not be making these rules. "You," plural, meaning you and your spouse, could do it. If your intention is to use your family as a metaphor for the government, a written constitution would probably be a good idea. But if you're going to do this, I would recommend making it fairly generic, offering a framework around which decisions can be made regarding specific matters.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:59 PM

166 posts, read 90,414 times
Lol sounds terrible. This will just make the kids resent and disobey you!

Old 10-26-2021, 05:33 AM

7,568 posts, read 4,112,150 times
There are some pitfalls to avoid. Make sure the children understand the terminology you will be using especially by letting them have some input about what those words might mean. When I say input, it doesn't necessarily mean that the children get to define the words. It means that you find out what they know and teach to their level.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:11 AM

2,187 posts, read 2,100,107 times
Parenting cannot be done by a set of written rules. First, there are situation that you can not prepare for and you will have to create a rule when it arises. Second, rules sometimes may not be in the best interest of your family in a given situation. Parenting should be done by setting a good example and then knowing that sometimes you have to adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting