Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 12:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,934,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Also, water boils at 100C. Nobody showers in "nearly boiling" hot water, as you would scald the crap out of yourself. Skin burns after 5 minutes under 48C water. That's why there's all those warning labels on your hot water heater.
That was my thought too. The water is no where near boiling, it's just hot. If the mom doesn't want the water so hot, then she can turn down the Temperature on the hot water heater.

As it is, the kid is doing nothing wrong by taking a hot shower and cleaning with hot water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 02:09 PM

14,342 posts, read 11,847,196 times
You think he might be spoiled because he likes to wash dishes in hot water and take hot showers? Really?

Old 11-02-2021, 03:26 PM

5,607 posts, read 3,037,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You think he might be spoiled because he likes to wash dishes in hot water and take hot showers? Really?

Yeah...I feel like something is missing here. Like...isn't it the norm, here in America, that we wash in hot water? Is it a luxury in other countries to wash in hot water? Is he heating water over a fire or something?

Old 11-02-2021, 04:23 PM

9,266 posts, read 5,029,229 times
First world problem.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:43 PM

16,360 posts, read 10,377,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
He can never wash with cold water as it feels uncomfortable for him but he also says that hot water cleans the dishes better/cleans the bathroom better.
I believe this is true, is it not? That's why dishwashers use hot water, because it cleans better.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:01 PM

6,723 posts, read 4,707,183 times
Quote:
I was talking to my friend in her 40s last week and she told me about her 16yr old son. She thinks that he's spoiled but her husband doesn't.

Basically, he has autism and some sensory issues. He's very clean (almost to the point of being obsessive about it). When he cleans however, he has to switch on water to boil or boil water in the kettle. He can never wash with cold water as it feels uncomfortable for him but he also says that hot water cleans the dishes better/cleans the bathroom better.

Before showering, he always has to turn on his Dyson fan as he feels very cold stepping out of the bathroom after a shower. Again, in the shower he uses nearly boiling hot water.

My friend thinks that even with his autistic issues, he's a bit spoiled as he's running up all these hot water costs. She says that when he's living alone, he'll soon learn how expensive these things are. Her husband on the other hand doesn't see an issue with it and says that at least he's much more responsible when it comes to cleaning the house compared to boys his age.

Who's in the right here?
Is this a made up question? Who doesn't take a shower just as hot as they can stand it?

Old 11-02-2021, 07:38 PM

979 posts, read 409,374 times
Quote:
I was talking to my friend in her 40s last week and she told me about her 16yr old son. She thinks that he's spoiled but her husband doesn't.

Basically, he has autism and some sensory issues. He's very clean (almost to the point of being obsessive about it). When he cleans however, he has to switch on water to boil or boil water in the kettle. He can never wash with cold water as it feels uncomfortable for him but he also says that hot water cleans the dishes better/cleans the bathroom better.

Before showering, he always has to turn on his Dyson fan as he feels very cold stepping out of the bathroom after a shower. Again, in the shower he uses nearly boiling hot water.

My friend thinks that even with his autistic issues, he's a bit spoiled as he's running up all these hot water costs. She says that when he's living alone, he'll soon learn how expensive these things are. Her husband on the other hand doesn't see an issue with it and says that at least he's much more responsible when it comes to cleaning the house compared to boys his age.

Who's in the right here?
He's not spoiled and he'll never live alone.

He has a problem.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:33 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,658,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
He's not spoiled and he'll never live alone.

He has a problem.
Yup.

Good news, though, you can make for for all the $$$ you spend on therapy, in savings on water heater costs, when his shrink convinces him to take quick cold showers.

It'll just take about 5 billion showers.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:04 AM

2,142 posts, read 3,041,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Yup.

Good news, though, you can make for for all the $$$ you spend on therapy, in savings on water heater costs, when his shrink convinces him to take quick cold showers.

It'll just take about 5 billion showers.
Insensitive, a**hole comment. You know nothing about his functioning in the other aspects of his life. Again, if the showering and hot water are the biggest issues, he may be fine.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:52 AM

8,072 posts, read 10,004,924 times
Spoke to a woman the other day whose husband chastises her for turning up the heat on a cold day.

Really?

First world problems....both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting