Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,631 times

Advertisements

I work at T-mobile. My husband does too and it’s where we met and ended up getting married. When people learn that I have 2 kids, they automatically assume I rely on the government when in reality, we both work very hard to provide for our kids and never took a single penny from the government. We are a working class family living paycheck to paycheck. Although our finances aren’t the best, we manage to make it work. My oldest is 14 and is already working at her first real job. She pays for her phone bill, clothes, spending money and everything that she wants. For kids who don’t have parents with money to hand to them, they develop a work ethic at a young age since they have no choice but to work. Kids who get things handed to them will eventually get spoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 07:15 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
My husband started working at 10 to provide himself with the necessities that his parents should have but could not. He’s nearing 50 now and is incredibly resentful. He feels like he missed out on being a kid cause he was off hustling. The last 40 years has been work and more work with even more to go. He even helped take care of the needs of his younger siblings by the time he was in his mid teens.

And I can’t say I disagree with how he feels. There’s a difference in working for the things you want as a kid rather than having to work to provide yourself with basic necessities. He quite literally had to work and provide for himself There was no choice in it for him.

I feel a bit sorry for your daughter as you believe she’s making a choice. Maybe ask her if she wants to work or feels like she has to in order to lessen your financial burden.

Old 11-10-2021, 04:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
My husband started working at 10 to provide himself with the necessities that his parents should have but could not. He’s nearing 50 now and is incredibly resentful. He feels like he missed out on being a kid cause he was off hustling. The last 40 years has been work and more work with even more to go. He even helped take care of the needs of his younger siblings by the time he was in his mid teens.

And I can’t say I disagree with how he feels. There’s a difference in working for the things you want as a kid rather than having to work to provide yourself with basic necessities. He quite literally had to work and provide for himself There was no choice in it for him.

I feel a bit sorry for your daughter as you believe she’s making a choice. Maybe ask her if she wants to work or feels like she has to in order to lessen your financial burden.
I started my first job at 14, and despite the hard work (peeling potatoes at a fish & chip shop) I enjoyed it, and enjoyed the money. It was not to help my family manage, though buying my own things saved them money, it was for my college fund, and to buy my first car and pay for the insurance. From then on I never took any money from my parents, and had no student loans. I moved out at age 19 while a junior in college and got my own apartment. Our 3 kids all got their degrees with little need for help from us, and they all started working early too.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:53 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poksmpo View Post
I work at T-mobile. My husband does too and it’s where we met and ended up getting married. When people learn that I have 2 kids, they automatically assume I rely on the government when in reality, we both work very hard to provide for our kids and never took a single penny from the government. We are a working class family living paycheck to paycheck. Although our finances aren’t the best, we manage to make it work. My oldest is 14 and is already working at her first real job. She pays for her phone bill, clothes, spending money and everything that she wants. For kids who don’t have parents with money to hand to them, they develop a work ethic at a young age since they have no choice but to work. Kids who get things handed to them will eventually get spoiled.
Nothing wrong in it!

Doing what you need to do to provide for your family. Commendable

Old 11-11-2021, 05:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
I'm sorry you have people thinking that way. Because of some cranky customers I've had as a volunteer at our hospital's gift shop, I know how retail workers are often denigrated, when in fact, it's a very difficult job because of the people you have to deal with.

My "favorite" crankster was an older man who, while I was checking out his purchases, said, "You know, if you had gotten some education, you wouldn't have to be working retail at your age."

I almost laughed out loud, but instead, I very politely said, "We're all volunteers here in the gift shop, and I'm a retired scientist. I just enjoy volunteering and helping my community." He didn't say another word and hurried out.

But what REALLY angered me was his assumption that retail work isn't valuable. It's honest work, and can be exhausting and challenging. I'm always extra polite and patient with retail workers, esp. when there's an issue (same with customer service reps on the phone).

Old 11-11-2021, 06:17 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
So you are returning the 300 per month child tax credit?

Old 11-12-2021, 06:54 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
First, Kudos to you. I commend your hard work and approach to life. Second, that last part is complete BS! Here is the thing, there are bad people in every socio-economic group. There are great people in every socio-economic group. There are indeed kids who don’t have parents with money to hand to them that develop terrible work ethics, and there are kids in this group who develop great work ethics. Also, there are kids of rich parents who are not compelled to earn their own money who develop incredible work ethics and are NEVER spoiled. And there are kids that are the opposite.

Painting with such broad strokes is always a mistake. Teaching children the value of money and hard work is not limited to those without wealth or a comfortable financial lifestyle. Not sure what brought on this post, but it is wrong and rude to some incredible parents who raise fine children and buy them nice things.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:38 AM

36,516 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
So you are returning the 300 per month child tax credit?
You know that is not what she meant.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:14 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Not sure what brought on this post, but it is wrong and rude to some incredible parents who raise fine children and buy them nice things.
I think the OP wants some well-earned respect. We were all praising frontline workers last year at the height of the pandemic. Now, it's back to normal where many people assume they aren't important or smart.

Quote:
Kids who get things handed to them will eventually get spoiled.
I wouldn't say this is true, but there is some truth in it. My kids aren't spoiled. They are hardworking and kind. However, they've never experience want.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 11-12-2021 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-12-2021, 08:34 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:

Seriously? How do you know this? Why do you think this? If I met someone who had two kids and worked in retail, it wouldn't occur to me to assume they rely on the government, so where are you getting this idea that "people" think this way?

Sorry, sounds as if you are looking for offense where none may exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting