Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 08:00 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times

Advertisements

On a nice clear evening- take her outside and ask if she sees bright tiny dots in the sky.

Ask her if she knows what it is?
Tell her that they are stars and the night fairy princess lights them up every evening when everything is quiet - so the tiny little bunnies can see where to go to meet each other and have a snack together.

People know that and that is why they try to be very quiet at night and go to sleep - as the fairy princess wouldn’t light up the stars when it is noisy. It is very important to be quiet at night, or bunnies couldn’t find their friends and family.

Then you ask if she could help the fairy and the bunnies and try to be like other adults to stays quiet at night.
Ask her to show how quiet she could be- put the finger on your mouth, start whispering.

Ask her if she could see the potty when she needs to go. Then practice: ask her to pretend that she is asleep and then wakes up and wants to go to the potty - you go to your room and observe.

Do it like a game- in daytime - to practice going to potty quietly at night

So when she wakes up and starts crying - try to whisper into your monitor sh, baby don’t scare the fairy princess- just go to the potty like we practiced.

Anyway, you get the idea…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 08:30 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,241,406 times
When I was little there were monsters in my room (lots of them). I stacked up all my stuffed animals surrounding me in my bed. Not only were there monsters; but, there was a "shadow man" in my window.

I think she's very scared of the dark.

I got over being scared of the dark around 50.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,368 times
msRB311…

To answer your question, I know she is extremely intelligent because she was fully (daytime) potty trained by 2 years old, she fluently understands and can respond to both English and Spanish (her mom is Peruvian) and she had already been able to tell me all of the shapes on her shapes chart in her room, including things like hexagon and octagon. I don’t think most 2 year olds can do that. Plus, she already has a genuinely funny sense of humor. She understands the subtleties of humor. She impresses me all the time. She’s not even 3 yet!

Old 11-10-2021, 08:42 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris612 View Post
msRB311…

To answer your question, I know she is extremely intelligent because she was fully (daytime) potty trained by 2 years old, she fluently understands and can respond to both English and Spanish (her mom is Peruvian) and she had already been able to tell me all of the shapes on her shapes chart in her room, including things like hexagon and octagon. I don’t think most 2 year olds can do that. Plus, she already has a genuinely funny sense of humor. She understands the subtleties of humor. She impresses me all the time. She’s not even 3 yet!

Every parent thinks their children are exceptional. She's still a very tiny new person.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:44 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
She’s 2., not 12…when she cries in the middle of the night, annoying to you or not, if your job as he father to go check on her and take her potty if she needs to go. Letting her lay in pee soaked sheets is abusive and wrong on so many levels.

Put a waterproof pad on the mattress and get used to washing sheets. She’s TWO YEARS OLD, you’re expecting way too much from her. Let me guess… you’ve read or have told that by two
She should be completely potty trained… got news for ya, that’s not true.

This is why pull-ups were invented… use them.
Amen .

Old 11-10-2021, 08:54 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Many children are not developmentally capable of staying dry at night until closer to 4 (some even later than that). There is a “switch” in the brain, that suddenly allows them to stay dry through the night.

My daughter was fully day time in underwear at age 2 1/2...she never had an accident at all.

However she still wore pull ups at night for another year. One morning she woke up dry, and that was it. Underwear from then on.

It may be that you are having her try to do something she is not developmentally ready for, regardless of intelligence.

Pull ups are somewhat controversial, but you’ll both be much happier sleeping through the night.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-10-2021 at 09:02 PM..

Old 11-10-2021, 09:53 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times
Not yet 3, it sounds like she is going through a period when she needs your reassurance, that is quite possibly all it is. So reassure her, congratulate her on being a big girl and using the potty. Keep an upbeat attitude and don't show this anxiety and tension you are feeling from having to get up. In a few weeks of doing this without any of the bad vibes from your frustration, tell her from the doorway, go ahead, use the potty. Then tell her from the hallway. Then tell her from your bedroom.
She's feeling this tension that you are exhibiting. So reassure her that you are there, that's what she needs, and do it without frustration.
Once she feels calm, she's start sleeping through the night. You could also back off the liquids to a few hours before bed except for a sip.
This is not a physical situation, pull-ups are not warranted. This is an emotional/psychological phase she is going through.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:09 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I'd her bedroom pitch dark? Maybe she can't see it or is afraid to get up in a dark room?

Old 11-11-2021, 05:08 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
She's having a behavioral sleep issue. Sleep cycle is about 2 hrs - we all wake up about every 2 hrs throughout the night, but we go back to sleep. She's calling for you every 2 hrs, when she wakes up, for whatever reason. Maybe she is afraid, maybe she just cannot get back to sleep without seeing you. So you treat it like the behavioral problem that it is.

First of all, it sounds as if you'd rather have her use the potty chair than the toilet at night, which is fine, if she also is very comfortable using it during the day. She needs light - is there a night light in the room? She needs paper to wipe with - is that by the potty? Assuming you have this all set up, then you need to have a talk during the day about it. Something along the lines of praise for being a big girl who uses the potty and doesn't need diapers, doesn't wet the bed. Then tell her how much you need your sleep, so you can be a fun parent during the day. Make up a present grab bag, with all sorts of little things wrapped up (ask friends with older girls, maybe 12 and up, who've outgrown their pretty ponies, trolls, polly pockets, etc to give you their junk toy drawers). Tell her that if she can manage not to wake you, and use the potty through the night (really, she should only need to use it once, especially if you restrict fluids before bed), that she gets to pick a prize out of the grab bag, and she gets an hour of screen time. Also put a rubber sheet on the bed, and tell her that if she wakes you, or wets the bed, no present in the morning, and no screen time that day. Also, have her strip the bed and take the laundry to the laundry area, and help you to remake the bed.

Don't make a big deal out of it - don't make yourselves miserable about it. She really is ahead of the pack, doing very well with toilet training. Most kids her age use a pullup at night. The only reason I'm not saying to do just that is that clearly she is awake, and asking for the potty - you don't want to put her in a pull up if she's doing that.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris612 View Post
msRB311…

You don’t know many two year old do you?

We know she’s not even 3, but do you?? Stop expecting so much from this little girl… I know plenty of bilingual 2 yr olds.. it’s not a big deal.

Be patient with her, and give her body time to mature.. this isn’t about intelligence, this is about physical development and all kids develop at a different rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting