Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 09:44 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,285,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Curious how you know she is extremely intelligent at 2.9 years old?

My daughter is 5 and still wakes up at night crying sometimes.

You know, my kid was speaking early, memorizing songs, and was always way ahead of the things kids of his age should be doing. Fast forward entering kindergarten he reads on a 3rd grade level and they pull him out of his K class for 2 periods a day and have him in a 2nd grade class because he is so far ahead of kids his age. School just started in September and his teachers knew after 1 week that he could already skip a grade. (We would never let that happen at this age) They tested him and he was doing mid year 4th grade math. We are sure he was born with a photographic memory and he loves to read and learn. He can tell us what he did 3 years ago and site date time and details. With that said we had a hard time potty training him, it had to be on his terms he was trained fully by age 3 and we had him in pullups at ight for another 3 months. He also crawled and walked very late. As advanced as he was with education the physical side was behind. Kids move at there own pace by age 4 no one knows or cares who walked or potty trained first.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 10:31 AM

3,265 posts, read 1,777,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris612 View Post
Some of the responses here have been very helpful. Others? Are probably the kind of people who want Dave Chappelle “cancelled”. I’ll just leave it at that.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:54 AM

23,790 posts, read 33,264,650 times
Quote:
Hello. I am a single father. I have 2 daughters. My oldest, is grown. I raised her by myself. My little daughter is 2 years and 9 months old. Almost 3. She had been fully potty trained for a long time now. She never has accidents during the day at all. But at night, she will wake up every 2 hours and cry. I have a baby monitor camera complete with audio mounted on her bedroom wall, and the monitoring screen sits next to my bed in my bedroom. So every time she wakes up crying, she immediately wakes me up as well, which is no kind of fun. Her problem is not that she wets the bed. Let me make that clear, first of all. She completely understands that she should go potty in her potty training toilet. Before bed every night, I always bring her potty into her bedroom, and place it within 2-3 feet of her toddler bed. I always make sure she doesn’t drink any fluids at least an hour (if not more) before bed. I always give her a bath at night about an hour before bed. And, I read her a bedtime story each night before bed. Just to give you a clear idea of the nightly routine.

So, the problem is? That she simply refuses to get up, get out of her bed, walk 2 steps, and sit down on her toddler potty, and go pee at night. Instead? She just wakes up crying, then starts screaming as well. When I go into her room to ask her what is wrong? I always get the same response from her. “Potty”.

Uugh! She WON’T just get out of bed and go! She makes me get up and go into her bedroom and THEN after I tell her to get up and go potty? She’ll get up and go. Otherwise? She’ll just sit there crying and eventually, wet the bed.

She is extremely intelligent and very sweet and loves to learn. So why can’t she grasp such a seemingly sinple concept? I also show her every night, that her potty toilet is right there. And yes, she also has a nightlight in her room, so her bedroom is well illuminated. That is not the issue at all.

I’m doing everything a person is supposed to do. Yet, she won’t simply get up and go on her own. She would rather pee the bed, if I don’t wake up and go in her room to be there for her to go pee!

Please help!!!

Welcome to C-D Chris. How old was your other daughter when night trained? Is this something new with her to get up at night crying? My daughter was advanced too with potty at 2 but regressed about the same age until a little after 3. She walked, talked, climbed and rode a 2 wheel bike early too. I'm not sure why she regressed with potty training but it didn't last long.

You had some good input. I like cheering her on from the door. She wants you there for some reason, we just have to deal with it as parents. Losing sleep sucks bad.

Does she see her mother at all? Do you think that could have something to do with it?

Old 11-11-2021, 11:03 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,140,733 times
Quote:
msRB311…

To answer your question, I know she is extremely intelligent because she was fully (daytime) potty trained by 2 years old
Um, potty training is a physiological milestone that has nothing to do with intelligence. My son wasn't potty trained until he was almost 3, which is very common for boys, but now he's an adult who went to college on a full scholarship and has won his state's chess championship 3 times, so most people think he's pretty intelligent, in spite of how "stupid" he was about using the toilet by himself when he was 2.

You're expecting too much of her at her age. Everyone has given you good suggestions to try.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:42 PM

4,355 posts, read 4,195,212 times
Both my kids are very intelligent and both wet the bed every single night until I found out about vasopressin treatment. It worked immediately, but with severe side effects. My daughter had a bout with gout (age 10), and my son developed kidney stones (age 8). My daughter was accelerated a year in school and is now finishing up her residency in pediatrics. She told me recently that getting that medication changed her life for the better and she doesn't even regret the side effects. The condition apparently runs in the family.

I'm not suggesting that you try this with your daughter, especially as she is still well within the normal range for nighttime dryness. I'm simply pointing out that there are sometimes extreme cases where children literally cannot feel bladder urgency in their sleep. It's also nice to know that it doesn't have to be a long-term problem if doctors are still prescribing vasopressin treatment or if similar side effects took it off the market.

BTW, her daughter is about the same age as yours. She is nowhere near nighttime dryness. Even daytime is hit or miss. Apparently she freaks out when she has to poop. But as we all know, she will not be going off to college in pull-ups!

Old 11-11-2021, 04:53 PM

854 posts, read 427,431 times
Quote:
msRB311…

To answer your question, I know she is extremely intelligent because she was fully (daytime) potty trained by 2 years old, she fluently understands and can respond to both English and Spanish (her mom is Peruvian) and she had already been able to tell me all of the shapes on her shapes chart in her room, including things like hexagon and octagon. I don’t think most 2 year olds can do that. Plus, she already has a genuinely funny sense of humor. She understands the subtleties of humor. She impresses me all the time. She’s not even 3 yet!
I believe she is very intelligent and capable and has trained you well.

I’m not sure why she needs a toilet in her bedroom. My twins were trained before age three to include nighttime trained. I simply showed them a few times how to get up and go to the bathroom if they had to go in the middle of the night and made sure there were nightlights on so they could see. We never had any problems.

Maybe ask her what the problem is and fix it for her?

My very intelligent trained just over two years old was still in a crib when I explained to her not to wet her pants in the morning when she got up but I’d take her to the bathroom if she called me. She kept insisting “I can if I want to.” I explained again and she insisted, “I can if I want to.”. When I asked her what she meant by saying “I can if I want to.”- She replied, “I have a diaper on so I can if I want to.”

And she was right, she could wet her pants if she wanted to because I kept a diaper on her at night simply underestimating her ability and thinking she wasn’t ready. She we fixed that. I removed the diaper and told her now she can’t so please call me when she needed to go in the morning. The girl never wet her bed at night. Not once that I remember. Very shortly thereafter we got them toddler beds (her twin brother was a few months behind her in being trained) so she could go independent of me.

I don’t know what I would have done if they refused to go to the bathroom at night when they were totally capable. In fact when my son first trained he had several nighttime accidents so I put a pull up on him which made him furious because he didn’t want to wear a diaper. This was the one and only pull up I ever tried. When I checked on him that night I found he had gotten out of bed, removed his pull up, put on a pair of underwear and went back to bed. He was the same age as your daughter and he didn’t wet the bed again. I guess he decided it was better to get up and go to the bathroom rather than have to wear a diaper again.

I don’t think you are expecting too much.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:02 PM

854 posts, read 427,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Both my kids are very intelligent and both wet the bed every single night until I found out about vasopressin treatment. It worked immediately, but with severe side effects. My daughter had a bout with gout (age 10), and my son developed kidney stones (age 8). My daughter was accelerated a year in school and is now finishing up her residency in pediatrics. She told me recently that getting that medication changed her life for the better and she doesn't even regret the side effects. The condition apparently runs in the family.

I'm not suggesting that you try this with your daughter, especially as she is still well within the normal range for nighttime dryness. I'm simply pointing out that there are sometimes extreme cases where children literally cannot feel bladder urgency in their sleep. It's also nice to know that it doesn't have to be a long-term problem if doctors are still prescribing vasopressin treatment or if similar side effects took it off the market.

BTW, her daughter is about the same age as yours. She is nowhere near nighttime dryness. Even daytime is hit or miss. Apparently she freaks out when she has to poop. But as we all know, she will not be going off to college in pull-ups!
His daughter doesn’t have a bed wetting problem. She’s refusing to use the bathroom by getting out of bed to use the bathroom. She’s not sleeping through the night and wetting the bed because she has a bed wetting developmental issue.

I’d put a diaper or a pull-up on her and tell her she has two options: use the pull up or use the toilet. She can decide. One of her options is not going to be having me watch her go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. This sounds more like a control issue and she’s doing all the controlling.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:24 PM

21,893 posts, read 19,034,671 times
night time potty use generally comes later (often many years later) than daytime potty use.
she is still quite young. let her wear a diaper at night. problem solved.

i wouldn't want a toilet in my bedroom where i sleep, either.
that's gross. do you know any adult or any person of any age that would want a toilet in the room where they sleep?

Old 11-12-2021, 10:51 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,897,136 times
Is she afraid of leaving the security of her bed by herself in the middle of the night? I know when I was younger, I had fears of a skeleton under my bed. We used to visit a museum that had retrieved a skeleton called "Larry" from the local river and had it on display. For some reason, it caused me to think Larry was under my bed at night. Daytime it was never an issue.

I would ask her if she is afraid to get out of bed by herself during the night. Her answer may surprise you.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:12 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,133,253 times
She is not yet producing enough vasopressin, an anti-diuretic hormone, to remain dry all night. That's why some children wear diapers to bed long after they are using the potty during the day. It's really not her fault; her body isn't ready. In most cases, children produce enough vasopressin by age five to sleep dry all night consistently.

Last edited by kj1065; 11-12-2021 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting