Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 04:12 AM

12 posts, read 6,614 times

Advertisements

i think it's ok!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 04:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
My friends child and my godchild. He can move fast walking while pushing something like a stroller or chair, move around holding the furniture etc. Seems very smart and happy. Follows things he is taught but seems scared to walk on his own. He can be standing and holding onto something but if he wants to come over to you he will crawl. If you try to hold and hand and walk with him he cries and won’t do it. He can walk fast but only if pushing something.

There is nothing to worry about, he IS walking, and can walk fast, just not on his own. There is nothing wrong with him, he's just unsure/afraid to do it on his own, without the security of having something to hold. Some kids are like that.

If he was not walking like my daughters friends daughter, then he would need therapy. My grandson needed OT too. He wasn't walking at all. He had issues with his legs, had to have leg braces. They eventually got him walking. By age 2 he was fine. He's a normal 8 year old boy now.

He could be a perfectionist lol

Old 11-16-2021, 06:17 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
My older nephew walked independently at 10 months. Shortly after, he took a header in the driveway, scrapping his knees and palms. He didn’t walk again for a good 3-4 months. I’m guessing he made a fear association and had to work through it before he started over. Younger guy had a similar incident after first walking but it didn’t slow him down. They’re both young teens now and little guy is far more fearless than his older brother.

Kids are different, develop at different paces, etc.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:55 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
boys walk later.
he's still well within normal range.

i assure you by the time he graduates high school, he will be (a) walking and (b) potty trained.

my eldest son skipped crawling altogether (he never crawled) and did not walk until 19 months. he is now in his 30s, has letters after his name, owns a home, and his been earning boatloads of money since he was 14 years old.

Our daughter did not crawl until somewhere around 13 months, but crawled for two only days - she started on a Friday and was walking by Sunday. Interesting weekend for us.

That was also her approach to potty training, basically a weekend transition from diapers to no accidents at all.

Parenting is just weird sometimes.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:24 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
My friends child and my godchild. He can move fast walking while pushing something like a stroller or chair, move around holding the furniture etc. Seems very smart and happy. Follows things he is taught but seems scared to walk on his own. He can be standing and holding onto something but if he wants to come over to you he will crawl. If you try to hold and hand and walk with him he cries and won’t do it. He can walk fast but only if pushing something.
So what? I didn't walk until I was 2 years old. Drove my mom crazy because I was a big, well-fed baby & large for my age & she had to carry me. Had ponytails past my shoulders before I could walk, lol.

Ran my first 10K at age 9. Now I'm 53 & I hike 2-6 miles daily at 7,000-11,000 ft elevation.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
I didnt walk until I was 2.

Just stubborn, ha.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:19 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Grandson did not walk until about 18 months. Daughter had him accessed, was working with a paediatric physio, etc. Nothing wrong with him at all. He currently plays soccer, tennis, cricket. Does a lot of bike riding and swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting