Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,835 times

Advertisements

My son has sensory issues. He has struggled with these for several years he just turned 6. He is adopted and was drug exposed. I have troble gettting doctors to understand what we have been going through. He has a lot of trouble getting his haor cut. We do it at home he is bi -racial and his hair is very thick and it is a nighmare to do it. He creams and he has done the same when he lost some teeth already. The dentist is a real nightmare. Anyone have children with these issues and have used some ideas that have work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,650 times
I have three children with varying degrees of sensory dysfunction.

One will not wear things with seams or certain fabrics. He holds his ears when in a crowded room. Too much cacophany makes him break down and cry.

They are all picky when it comes to texture of fabrics, waistbands, seams, and even food.

One child is mesmorized by a crowded room and will immediately fall asleep. He screams a lot when overwhelmed. He refuses to have ice in his drink. He prefers lukewarm to cold water to bath in and doesn't like extreme hot or cold.

One hates overt smells and doesn't like to get his hair washed or cut.

They all hate getting their nails clipped because it leaves them with a tactile issue with the exposed skin now receiving input. Oh, it's a true struggle!

Yeah, I can relate!

A good pyschiatrist can help. They understand sensory issues and there are medications that help minimize the effects of sensory overload.

Do NOT berate the child or show frustration with their issues. Be patient as much as possible. Some days you have to cease all effort to finish the haircut and try the next day. Some days are better than others. Try to address things that need done on a good day. Realize that bad days are not the end of the world.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:17 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,995 times
I also have a son with sensory issues. Have you talked to his teacher, if he is in a special ed setting? That was a wealth of information for me! Also, you might try asking in the special needs forum, though I'm pretty sure most of them read this forum as well.

I was able to get a referral to a dentist who specializes in special needs children from our regular dentist.

Sometimes doctors (unless you're able to find a really good one) minimize issues like this. Your best bet might teacher, therapist (pt or ot), or someone in that line. They deal with these kids on a regular basis, and may be able to steer you in the right direction... especially if they are familiar with your child's behaviors.

Good luck!

~D

Last edited by jtjmom; 05-18-2008 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-18-2008, 01:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,650 times
Ditto on jtjmom's suggestions. My children have IEP's that integrate their sensory issues into their learning programs. Do a Google search on "sensory integration dysfunction" and you'll find a lot of info. Glean some more info from there.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:58 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post
Ditto on jtjmom's suggestions. My children have IEP's that integrate their sensory issues into their learning programs. Do a Google search on "sensory integration dysfunction" and you'll find a lot of info. Glean some more info from there.
If you think logically about it, the sensory dysfunction children are right. Think about how overstimulating and LOUD our world is. You can't go into a store without music blasting at you. Everyone has TV going just about all the time even if no one is watching. Everything is lit up, and things bombard us from all sides, stimulating all of our senses. Just about 100 years ago, our world was soooo much quieter. 100 years is not enough time for our bodies to catch up, and as you can see from all these posts, a lot of people are having a problem with it. My daughter used to come home from kindergarten with a headache every day because of the noise. When I did day care in my home, she had to have at least 2 hours in her bedroom ALONE every afternoon. I didn't consider her dysfunctional, just normal. Your cases do sound like much more than my daughter went through, but providing him/her with a more quieter world would probably benefit the whole family.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:59 PM

My son has had intervention all I may add I fought for. He just got done with OT and that helped . I have read a lot of books. I also have his bio sister we just adopted who is 16 months who has that as well. I went to the UOFM because we live in Michigan. They were going to do a sleep study but we are moving to Minnesota. I gave a hair cut today only the sides it took two hours. And the loss of teeth it is really something. His teacher doesn't get it. He does okay as school but comes home and is just over stimulated because he is in all day Kindergarten and is doing all he can to get through the day. THe OT talked to her and so I as well. The reason I know she doesn't get it is that she wanted him to go to Summer school 4 days a week. I said no he needs to be done with school. I told her give me the material to work with him at home is short time spans he needs a break from school. I feel sorry for him as he really has a hard time. He also has traits and I can't spell it not austism but the less servere one but they say he talks to people so they didn't think he hads it. He just gets stuck on things and worries about suff that other kids wouldn't care about. He also has trouble sleeping. I wanted to get him a IEP because we are moving but I needed the doctor to give him a medical title and it was late in the year after he got done with OT school is out in two weeks.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:01 PM

My son has had intervention all I may add I fought for. He just got done with OT and that helped . I have read a lot of books. I also have his bio sister we just adopted who is 16 months who has that as well. I went to the UOFM because we live in Michigan. They were going to do a sleep study but we are moving to Minnesota. I gave a hair cut today only the sides it took two hours. And the loss of teeth it is really something. His teacher doesn't get it. He does okay as school but comes home and is just over stimulated because he is in all day Kindergarten and is doing all he can to get through the day. THe OT talked to her and so I as well. The reason I know she doesn't get it is that she wanted him to go to Summer school 4 days a week. I said no he needs to be done with school. I told her give me the material to work with him at home is short time spans he needs a break from school. I feel sorry for him as he really has a hard time. He also has traits and I can't spell it not austism but the less servere one but they say he talks to people so they didn't think he hads it. He just gets stuck on things and worries about suff that other kids wouldn't care about. He also has trouble sleeping. I wanted to get him a IEP because we are moving but I needed the doctor to give him a medical title and it was late in the year after he got done with OT school is out in two weeks.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
He also has traits and I can't spell it not austism but the less servere one but they say he talks to people so they didn't think he hads it. He just gets stuck on things and worries about suff that other kids wouldn't care about. He also has trouble sleeping. I wanted to get him a IEP because we are moving but I needed the doctor to give him a medical title and it was late in the year after he got done with OT school is out in two weeks.
mimberly, Is it Asperger's syndrome? Your description of your son certainly sounds like it.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
My son has a bit of sensory issues. When he was younger could not get his hair cut or go to the dentist. To cut his hair; we had to physically hold him down. It broke my heart...

Needless to say with him, time and patience has helped. We went to an amazing dentist who just let my son sit in the chair and talk to him once a week and did nothing else. After several weeks, he let the dentist do an examination. With him doctors, dentist, hair, it was repetition with patience.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I have children with sensory issues as well. They have quite a bit of the same issues I have read here. Medication is not always the answer. I just allow my child to do what he needs to feel comfortable and he eats the foods that he can tolerate on that particular day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting