Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 12:15 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Do you all think it's appropriate or inappropriate to let your toddler children go to other tables at a restaurant and start chatting it up with strangers while they wait for their check (after they finished their meal)? Even if the toddlers are very charming and adorable?

not everyone will think your toddler is charming and adorable. I know I wouldn't.

no, the toddler doesn't get a "hall pass" simply because "you" think he /she is charming and adorable.

I absolutely would not want a strange toddler come to my table and talk to me and my dinner party. I would not find it proper or acceptable.

The last thing I'd want to entertain while having dinner out is to be subject to someones toddler, even if the toddler was "charming and adorable" also, what would constitute "charming and adorable" in your book?

Most likely I'd find it annoying and annoying, so forget the charming and adorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 12:53 PM

984 posts, read 441,906 times
Completely inappropriate. Nobody thinks your toddler is as cute or charming as you do. And nobody wants to be bothered when they're eating. Please keep your children at your own table unless you're at a child's play area in a fast food restaurant. In that situation, it's fine for them to wander around and even stop to say hi at other tables. But in any other type of restaurant, including the eat-in part of a fast food place? No. No. NO.

Old 02-19-2022, 03:08 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,150,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Do you all think it's appropriate or inappropriate to let your toddler children go to other tables at a restaurant and start chatting it up with strangers while they wait for their check (after they finished their meal)? Even if the toddlers are very charming and adorable?

Inappropriate and very risky for the child in today's world unfortunately.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:48 AM

752 posts, read 1,493,574 times
Absolutely not, and for multiple reasons. This really should not even be being asked as it flies in the face of common sense. Safety concerns are one. Secondly, not everyone is there to socialize and not everyone will think having a young child of a stranger coming up to them is cute.

I actually can recall something much like that happening many years ago when my mother and I were out getting lunch across the street from the the hospital. We were having a very low key, serious discussion about whether or not to continue treatments for my father who was by then nearing death's door.

A young tot who'd been wandering about the restaurant came up to our booth a few times...while he was cute and we could not have the heart to shew him away, we did have to go find his parents as we really needed to continue the important conversation then and not later. So, no it's not appropriate as not everyone in the restaurant is there to entertain your kid.
'
But my chief concern is of course safety here.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:02 AM

979 posts, read 417,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
There are times that I would welcome a random toddler to join me at the table, I'm sure I'd have quite a few laughs over it.

There are other times it would be the last thing I want. If my wife and I are out for Valentines Day discussing our future and some toddler interrupts I would be pretty annoyed.

Don't let your kids run around willy nilly, it's rude.
I agree with this. We don't mind a nice kid with personality, but we don't want an unruly brat anywhere near us.
Time and place.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:58 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times
I have not experienced that. I am guessing it would be a brief encounter considering the age and no more interrupting than a waiter coming around and checking on us.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:14 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I have not experienced that. I am guessing it would be a brief encounter considering the age and no more interrupting than a waiter coming around and checking on us.
Oh my, maybe because it's early and I haven't had my coffee but I just had a mental image of the waiter coming around to ask how old you are, show you how many fingers they are, tell you his/her name, that they have a dog named 'Dog' and that mommy has a baby in her tummy and then ask if you have any children!

Old 02-20-2022, 05:30 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Oh my, maybe because it's early and I haven't had my coffee but I just had a mental image of the waiter coming around to ask how old you are, show you how many fingers they are, tell you his/her name, that they have a dog named 'Dog' and that mommy has a baby in her tummy and then ask if you have any children!
Ha! I think you now know how I feel about waiters interrupting me (but I do tip at least 20%). I don't think I've seen toddlers running free in restaurants so either my area has parents who know better or we have toddlers with little interaction skills.

Old 02-20-2022, 05:58 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I was in a restaurant where a family had already finished eating and the children obviously were bored. They (a little girl, 5-ish or so, and her brother (maybe 8?) were running around the restaurant tagging each other. The parents did nothing, apparently glad that their kids weren't bothering them.

After a while, the boy came over to me and asked what I was eating. I whispered that if he and his sister didn't sit down, they probably would get hurt if they continued to run around. Worked like a charm. The two brats went back to their parents and stopped bothering everyone.

Perfect. Their parents then had to deal with two confused children. But I got to eat my dinner in peace.
I would have told him "I'm eating the flesh of the last child who ran around the restaurant."

Old 02-20-2022, 06:22 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,750,713 times
Given the fact that we are just starting to come out of a pandemic, I can't imagine why anyone would allow an UNVACCINATED toddler visiting others at their tables. It's really not safe for the toddler, or possibly immune-challenged adults at the other tables. The OP has no idea of the health conditions or vaccination status of the people at other tables. For all he knows they could be unable to be vaccinated, or worse yet, they could be covid positive.

There is just no reason to allow this except rudeness, ignorance, or laziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting