Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 8,628 times

Advertisements

Long story short.

He is 18

He moved out Aug 1st, 2021 (lived with us 7 months)

He now lives with his girlfriends parents. Does not pay rent, food, or anything. gets free rides to work.

Made $3500 in 2021

He filed taxes before me, claimed himself, supposedly got a stimulus check for around $1200 or something. Says if I claim him, his tax return will go down to $100 (basically what he paid in federal and state)

The plan was for him to go on my insurance once he gets his license, and pay ~$50-100 or so a month.

He said the only way he will let me claim him on taxes is if I pay 6 months of his insurance ...

Looks like it will cost me about $3000 in taxes ..

IRS says if I paid half or more of his living expenses I get to claim him .. .. his GF's parents have no interest in claiming him ..

thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 04:52 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,483,299 times
Maybe it's time Mr. 18 year old finds out how much it costs to pay for his own car, car insurance, cell phone, cell phone plan (take him off the family plan if he's on it now), and see how long the girlfriend lasts and the parents enjoy having him mooch off them rent free.

Does he have a plan for paying for all of these not so fun aspects of adulting? I hope the girlfriend's parents have her on birth control.

Last edited by kitkatbar; 02-18-2022 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-18-2022, 08:30 PM

701 posts, read 1,699,513 times
Car insurance is expensive. Let him pay his own and do his own taxes and you'll come out ahead

Old 02-18-2022, 09:11 PM

299 posts, read 218,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191186 View Post
Long story short.

He is 18

He moved out Aug 1st, 2021 (lived with us 7 months)

He now lives with his girlfriends parents. Does not pay rent, food, or anything. gets free rides to work.

Made $3500 in 2021

He filed taxes before me, claimed himself, supposedly got a stimulus check for around $1200 or something. Says if I claim him, his tax return will go down to $100 (basically what he paid in federal and state)

The plan was for him to go on my insurance once he gets his license, and pay ~$50-100 or so a month.

He said the only way he will let me claim him on taxes is if I pay 6 months of his insurance ...

Looks like it will cost me about $3000 in taxes ..

IRS says if I paid half or more of his living expenses I get to claim him .. .. his GF's parents have no interest in claiming him ..

thoughts ?
It sounds likes he's trying to double dip. He already got his money for filing as a single person; so how is it possible for you to file him as a dependent without it being fraud? If he already set himself up to be a single filer you can't claim him as a dependant even if you wanted to.

He made his choice to be independent in the eyes of the tax man. So now he has to grow up and accept the responsibilities others have to bear. Tell him that while you wish you could help but he made his choice without figuring out the situation on you end. His offer is meaningless and honestly insulting. He needs to take his refund/stimulus check and pay for his own insurance/car needs.

This should be a lesson for him about the importance of taxes and learning all the ends and outs rather then jumping headfirst in a attempt to get an easy check.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:58 AM

16,943 posts, read 16,183,044 times
Has he graduated from HS, yet?

He's 18 years old and doesn't have his driver's license and is currently relying on his girlfriend's parents to schlep him around? Is that accurate?

How is he going to get himself a car?

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-19-2022 at 09:11 AM..

Old 02-21-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Has he graduated from HS, yet?

He's 18 years old and doesn't have his driver's license and is currently relying on his girlfriend's parents to schlep him around? Is that accurate?

How is he going to get himself a car?
Yes that's accurate..

No idea.. I was test driving cars and helping the search with him ... Now not so much ..

He was going to go on my insurance, ,, , now he can buy his own ?

I don't get the logic.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:13 AM

15,966 posts, read 20,927,996 times
Well if you want to be a stickler go ahead and claim him and let the IRS sort it out, you would probably win. You seem to qualify according to what I've read on the IRS website.
OTOH if you agree to his deal you still come out ahead don't you, wouldn't 6mos of insurance payments cost you less than losing the 3k in taxes?
From his POV if he files himself he's ahead $1200, if you claim him he's ahead what, what is the benefit to him for this? You may have to show him exactly how he benefits from it, if he does. You paying insurance, help with buying a car, whatever he'll lose in order to get that $1200 for himself.

If it were me I'd go ahead and make the deal he wants, not a big enough hill there for me to take a stand on. YMMV

Old 02-21-2022, 11:20 AM

The most disturbing part is he was not the least bit interested in hearing how it effected my return .. He even brought up times I've "screwed him over" . .. were talking punishments like having his phone taking away 5 years ago to justify "getting even" with his tax return ..

I'm wondering if theirs some sort of psychological disorder here .. . it was like he was so proud he filed taxes first and got the money, and is so proud he can screw me over as if its some sort of pay back ..

At this point ... I'm going to just back away ... I even thought of asking the question .. What can I possibly do to make you not mad at me ? Since he has a list of grudges that go as far back as the end of time ..

I find that part very disturbing ... the most sever punishment ever was getting the phone taken away, and not having a sleep over with a friend on the weekend .. pretty mild child hood if you ask me. ..

Old 02-21-2022, 11:46 AM

13 posts, read 12,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191186 View Post
The most disturbing part is he was not the least bit interested in hearing how it effected my return .. He even brought up times I've "screwed him over" . .. were talking punishments like having his phone taking away 5 years ago to justify "getting even" with his tax return ..

I'm wondering if theirs some sort of psychological disorder here .. . it was like he was so proud he filed taxes first and got the money, and is so proud he can screw me over as if its some sort of pay back ..

At this point ... I'm going to just back away ... I even thought of asking the question .. What can I possibly do to make you not mad at me ? Since he has a list of grudges that go as far back as the end of time ..

I find that part very disturbing ... the most sever punishment ever was getting the phone taken away, and not having a sleep over with a friend on the weekend .. pretty mild child hood if you ask me. ..

You paying an extra $3,000 in taxes seems like a small price to pay for cutting the cord with him. He wants to be independent, well then, have at it. While he is out of the house, make sure you change all your security codes and locks.

Once his girlfriends' parents get tired of him, he will get to choose between getting a job, going to school, or joining the military. Life is about making the right choices in the right timeframe.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:05 PM

13,256 posts, read 8,339,924 times
You paid over half his overhead when he resided in your home for over the 6 month mark.
Age is not the issue.
You get to claim him.
Without him trying to negotiate. He has no leverage to even negotiate.
He filed incorrectly.
Now go file, claim and let the IRS fit him for his big boy pants.
I claimed my son during his 20's . He filed notating that someone else could claim him as their dependent. He simply was letting the IRS know he worked and paid in his taxes during his seasonal work time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting