Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 04:18 PM

16,291 posts, read 8,113,806 times

Advertisements

ok well if someone is truly living life in the hopes that someone else is going to work to support them then I personally don't think it's the best attitude to have. Sure we'd all love to win the lottery or have a spouse hit it big.

I had my kids at 35+. Wish I had been a little younger but it is is what it is. My cousin had his 3rd child when he was 51. I've seen dad's become dad's for the first time at 50. Not sure that is the best way to go...some men I think get a bit cocky and think they can have kids into their 60's just because they're bodies can make it happen but that doesn't mean they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 04:45 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Even with wanting a baby and going through fertility treatment, I felt this way up until I gave birth. My biggest fear during labor wasn't tearing or how much it would hurt, it was thinking about how I was moments (or really hours since it was 36 hours of labor) away from having to care for a baby's every need. But yeah, the moment he was born everything just perfectly fell into place I cannot imagine anything else.
I remember so clearly during my first delivery, at a certain point the nurse wheeled out a plastic sort of bassinet and lined it with towels, to put the baby in. I was lying there laboring and that bassinet beside the bed just blew my mind. Even at that point, the idea that there was going to be an actual baby in it didn’t seem real.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
ok well if someone is truly living life in the hopes that someone else is going to work to support them then I personally don't think it's the best attitude to have. Sure we'd all love to win the lottery or have a spouse hit it big.
Thats not what the OP was saying.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
This being the parenting forum, this childfree by choice/no regrets woman of 68 will refrain from the same dull discussion that I am selfish or fearful etc. Just weary of it.

I don't wanna. Just don't wanna. And there are many of us who are anything but selfish or fearful.
As I posted earlier, I think that if you don’t want to be a parent, you should not be a parent. It is your life. Luckily in these times, women get to decide, and I would never force parenthood on anyone.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:48 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Thats not what the OP was saying.
are you sure?

Old 03-01-2022, 11:51 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruegel View Post
An astounding statement. Akin to:

"it's not normal to think of the height of the cliff before jumping off"
"it's not normal to research negatives of a career before choosing a profession"
"it is not normal to think about the negatives when setting off to a solo voyage across the ocean"
"it is not normal to assess own maturity before accepting responsibility for maturation of other human beings"
"it is not normal to think about effort/time/sacrifice/support/money/etc. before having kids" (from the above poster)

What the OP is doing is exactly right: assessing her own capability to handle life stresses.

Yep. If only more people took the time and effort, they would make better decisions about whether to parent.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
are you sure?
Considering that's not at all what he said, yeah, I am sure.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:31 PM

Ok well I’m not so sure.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:58 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As I posted earlier, I think that if you don’t want to be a parent, you should not be a parent. It is your life. Luckily in these times, women get to decide, and I would never force parenthood on anyone.
It's just that the words "selfish," "fearful," and "not responsible" are constantly told to people, especially women, who choose to be childfree.

Those words have even been posted on this thread.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:05 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
It's just that the words "selfish," "fearful," and "not responsible" are constantly told to people, especially women, who choose to be childfree.

Those words have even been posted on this thread.
People have opinions. Many are uninformed. More than a few are expressed to get a reaction from others (especially in C-D forums, NextDoor, Facebook and any online forum where people can post anonymously).

A person are not responsible for the actions of others, including the words they use.

A person has no control over another person's actions or thoughts or beliefs.

A person only controls how they choose to react to the words and actions of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting