Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 09:24 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another thread and thought that this might be useful here. I suggest that parents, especially expectant or new parents, discuss this with their pediatricians.

The reason for the major increase in children's peanut allergies is the refusal of parents to introduce peanuts to infants and children due to bad information. Introducing peanuts at an early age significantly reduces the incidences of peanut allergies. So rather than abstain from the nuts, parents should have PB&J around the house for the older children and their infants will most likely avoid these allergies.

"The early introduction of peanuts significantly decreased the frequency of the development of peanut allergy among children at high risk for this allergy and modulated immune responses to peanuts.

Among infants with high-risk atopic disease, sustained peanut consumption beginning in the first 11 months of life, as compared with peanut avoidance, resulted in a significantly smaller proportion of children with peanut allergy at the age of 60 months. "

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...850#t=abstract

The corollary to this is the now outdated advice that some pregnant women follow: avoiding nuts during pregnancy.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) used to recommend that pregnant and breastfeeding women avoid eating peanuts, peanut butter or foods containing peanut products if they, the baby’s father or other children in the nuclear family suffer from allergic conditions like allergic asthma, hay fever and eczema.

But recent research indicates that avoiding peanuts while you are pregnant or nursing will not protect your children from allergies. In fact, children of mothers who did eat peanuts during pregnancy have a lower incidence of peanut allergies."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 09:49 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
That was on my thread that has since been closed (my kid getting told by another passenger on a plane to put away pb cups because her kid is severely allergic)

We introduced peanut butter to our kids when they were around 1 I think. I think there is a risk of kids choking on pb or something because of the thickness of it.

My sister in law didn't introduce pb or shellfish to her kids until they were 3 because she was so worried that they would be allergic. I thought it was an odd thing to do, the PB more so than the shellfish. I never really asked her why she was doing this, because it wasn't the right thing to do, it just seemed to be something she wanted to do. Her kids aren't allergic today but i know that by the time she introduced it to her son he simply didn't like it.

PB is a great food item for kids to eat if they can. It is a great source of health, it's easy, it provides so much protein. My son was such a picky eater, still is, but he loves peanut butter.

Obviously if kids are allergic, it is what it is. I have friends who discovered their kid is allergic to eggs. I cant recall what the reaction was but it involved calling a dr.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:04 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I think people naturally avoid peanuts and peanut butter with small babies because they can't actually chew the nuts and might choke on them, and peanut butter is so sticky it's a choking hazard, too.

But giving infants small amounts of peanuts before they are a year old (I've read, as early as 4-5 months) does seem to be a very effective way of warding off allergies. A suggestion I have heard is baking peanut butter into something like a cookie, and then giving the baby small bites of cookie. Since a cookie is crumbly and dissolves in the mouth, it's safer.

Or parents can look for the Israel snack called Bamba (we have it at Trader Joe's here). It's like a very soft corn puff snack, but is made with peanuts. I've read that parents in Israel give it to babies and little children all the time, and there are almost no peanut allergies there.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:16 AM

When I gave it to my kids at around 1 I just gave them a small amount on a spoon to see how they liked it. Smooth peanut butter so there were no nuts to be chewed.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:33 PM

Thank you all for the supportive comments. Many times posters object to a post that is contrary to their beliefs, even if those are no longer recognized as valid.

To me, there are two large takeaways from the study.

First, there is no need to have a nut-free environment for a new baby. PB&J still available for the older kids and mom and dad.

Second, pregnant and lactating mothers do not have to avoid nuts and peanuts specifically (subject of course to your doctors advice).

Peanut butter, especially freshly made products, are an excellent source of protein, especially if you are able to get the low-sugar, low-salt variety.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:42 PM

+1

eating peanuts while breastfeeding has also been shown to decrease the likelihood of peanut allergies:

A new study led by researchers at the University of Manitoba and McMaster University has found that eating peanuts while breastfeeding, combined with introducing peanuts to babies before 12 months of age, may reduce the risk of peanut allergy by age five

A new study, published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (JACI) in September 2017, indicates that infants whose mothers ate peanut while breastfeeding, and who were introduced to peanut by 12 months, may have a lower risk of developing a peanut allergy later in childhood

https://foodallergycanada.ca/study-s...ergy-children/

Old 02-24-2022, 11:48 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I posted this in another thread and thought that this might be useful here. I suggest that parents, especially expectant or new parents, discuss this with their pediatricians.

The reason for the major increase in children's peanut allergies is the refusal of parents to introduce peanuts to infants and children due to bad information. Introducing peanuts at an early age significantly reduces the incidences of peanut allergies. So rather than abstain from the nuts, parents should have PB&J around the house for the older children and their infants will most likely avoid these allergies.

"The early introduction of peanuts significantly decreased the frequency of the development of peanut allergy among children at high risk for this allergy and modulated immune responses to peanuts.

Among infants with high-risk atopic disease, sustained peanut consumption beginning in the first 11 months of life, as compared with peanut avoidance, resulted in a significantly smaller proportion of children with peanut allergy at the age of 60 months. "

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...850#t=abstract

The corollary to this is the now outdated advice that some pregnant women follow: avoiding nuts during pregnancy.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) used to recommend that pregnant and breastfeeding women avoid eating peanuts, peanut butter or foods containing peanut products if they, the baby’s father or other children in the nuclear family suffer from allergic conditions like allergic asthma, hay fever and eczema.

But recent research indicates that avoiding peanuts while you are pregnant or nursing will not protect your children from allergies. In fact, children of mothers who did eat peanuts during pregnancy have a lower incidence of peanut allergies."

I totally believe this. I made sure to give my grand kids peanut butter when they were 6 or 8 months old, whenever they could lick it. I think I put it on my finger first. Of course I had my phone ready in case they were allergic lol

Neither of my grand kids are allergic, both love eating peanut butter with fluff on a spoon at grandma's house with a glass of milk. They don't get it at their parents house, so it's their treat

With so many kids having peanut allergies, my gut said to try it when they're small. My kids ate it when they were babies too.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I totally believe this. I made sure to give my grand kids peanut butter when they were 6 or 8 months old, whenever they could lick it. I think I put it on my finger first. Of course I had my phone ready in case they were allergic lol

Neither of my grand kids are allergic, both love eating peanut butter with fluff on a spoon at grandma's house with a glass of milk. They don't get it at their parents house, so it's their treat

With so many kids having peanut allergies, my gut said to try it when they're small. My kids ate it when they were babies too.

I always believed my grandmother knew more than anyone. You prove it's true!

Old 02-25-2022, 01:31 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Very simple, the best way to prevent peanut allergies is to eat peanuts/peanut products as early as possible. In fact, pregnant women should probably eat peanut butter as well. I have started giving my daughter tiny bit of peanut butter a few months after she started eating solid food. She actually liked it.

This approach was actually suggested by our pediatrician. Of course this needs to stop if there is an allergic reaction...

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 02-25-2022 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-25-2022, 01:43 PM

If someone has no allergies, I can't imagine not eating peanut butter while pregnant or avoiding it while breastfeeding. The things people worry about amazes me sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting