Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 03:01 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No, I didn't miss it. My point was that some kids are natural athletes at an early age. Most kids are not natural athletes and need to be pushed a little. At an early age, the natural athletes were having fun, the others not so much. It is no different than learning to read. My 7-year old granddaughter loves to read, it comes easy to her. If a child hates to read, are we wrong to push them to learn to read?

The problem we have today is the choice between organized sports and video games. When I was growing up in the 1960s/70s, we played sports in the street, in backyards, and on the playground. This is when kids could get involved at an older age and catch up. Today there are no neighborhood games. The reason is the majority of kids are at some organized activity. For the majority of kids today, if they don't get involved in sports by age 8, they likely never will.
So how is what I said so funny? Or why are you arguing with me? Is it that we might disagree on the issue of PUSHING a kid in sports? If it's not their thing, or if they show a propensity for something else, why push sports?

I'm truly not understanding your derision of me on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 03:11 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
So how is what I said so funny? Or why are you arguing with me? Is it that we might disagree on the issue of PUSHING a kid in sports? If it's not their thing, or if they show a propensity for something else, why push sports?

I'm truly not understanding your derision of me on this topic.
My apologies, I didn't mean to criticize you. I've been deeply involve with sports both as a parent and a coach. My strong opinions are showing.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:29 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
My son is 6 and I have him in t-ball/baseball. We practice together and when he actually tries and doesn't fool around he shows a lot of potential. He's just a little immature and has a hard time focusing for long periods of time. He says he likes it so I have him on a local little league team. However, he has sensitivities and social anxiety and basically will shut down at times. Maybe he just doesn't like team sports and I'm OK with that and will continue to see what else he can try. Or maybe he's just not "ready" for team sports yet. The issue is - and I'm sure some of you can relate - nowadays if you don't have your kid in a "team sport" early they will fall way behind. It's so competitive nowadays. I see 6/7 year olds in all sports going to private instructors, travel teams, etc. It's crazy. I'm afraid in 3-5 years he's going to get into it more and be "ready", but will be just so far behind.

I remember growing up there were a lot of kids that didn't start baseball or other sports until they were 8 or 9 and could gradually catch up. Now, I don't think that's the case.

What are everyone's thoughts on these parents pushing 5, 6, 7 year olds to be future pros? Seems to be more and more common , which is unfortunately closing the gap on older kids joining a sport in the future. I'm of the mindset to let kids be kids and when they're ready to play something and have fun I will assist in that. But, if they are involved they must finish that season.

My niece's kids were in sports since that age, but she never pushed them. She wanted them in organized sports for learning how to be part of a team, structure, discipline, etc. They played soccer, basketball and baseball, and briefly, pee wee football. If they didn't like a sport they had to finish the season (commitment) but they didn't have to play it again. They loved sports. They got tired of soccer. The bigger child liked football and would still be playing except my niece read a lot about concussions in football and won't let them play. They liked basketball but fell in love with baseball. Now they are 12 (twins) and play on travel team and the township league. When they get to high school they will play there, too. They love it. One in particular has a lot of promise.

But she never pushed either of them. I think it was great to get them in that young. They are used to keeping commitments, listening to authority, following rules, being a team member. I think it's been great for them.

My bff never did organized sports, but her kids have been doing a martial art (I don't recall which one, maybe MMA) since they were 5 or so. Both are teens now. The girl doesn't do it anymore (she was never that good) but her son loves every second of it and excels at it. I think competitive sports builds discipline and follow through.

I know some parents push their kids, but I don't think you should assume every young child in competitive sports is being pushed to win just because they are on travel teams, etc.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:23 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,612 times
Quote:
No, I didn't miss it. My point was that some kids are natural athletes at an early age. Most kids are not natural athletes and need to be pushed a little. At an early age, the natural athletes were having fun, the others not so much. It is no different than learning to read. My 7-year old granddaughter loves to read, it comes easy to her. If a child hates to read, are we wrong to push them to learn to read?

The problem we have today is the choice between organized sports and video games. When I was growing up in the 1960s/70s, we played sports in the street, in backyards, and on the playground. This is when kids could get involved at an older age and catch up. Today there are no neighborhood games. The reason is the majority of kids are at some organized activity. For the majority of kids today, if they don't get involved in sports by age 8, they likely never will.
and this is the point of the thread. There is so much pressure to get your kids involved in high level activities/sports at a young age and if you don't they'll never catch up. But some kids simply aren't ready for that or don't want to.

Its absolutely insane. I'm a young parent and seeing this for the first time and cannot believe how some of these parents act and think. 5/6 year olds should not have private instructors and playing on travel teams. I have neighbors that are 6 years old and 7 days a week are at sports. I've never actually seen them outside "playing". Guess there are different views for every parent, but the times have certainly changed.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:24 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My niece's kids were in sports since that age, but she never pushed them. She wanted them in organized sports for learning how to be part of a team, structure, discipline, etc. They played soccer, basketball and baseball, and briefly, pee wee football. If they didn't like a sport they had to finish the season (commitment) but they didn't have to play it again. They loved sports. They got tired of soccer. The bigger child liked football and would still be playing except my niece read a lot about concussions in football and won't let them play. They liked basketball but fell in love with baseball. Now they are 12 (twins) and play on travel team and the township league. When they get to high school they will play there, too. They love it. One in particular has a lot of promise.

But she never pushed either of them. I think it was great to get them in that young. They are used to keeping commitments, listening to authority, following rules, being a team member. I think it's been great for them.

My bff never did organized sports, but her kids have been doing a martial art (I don't recall which one, maybe MMA) since they were 5 or so. Both are teens now. The girl doesn't do it anymore (she was never that good) but her son loves every second of it and excels at it. I think competitive sports builds discipline and follow through.

I know some parents push their kids, but I don't think you should assume every young child in competitive sports is being pushed to win just because they are on travel teams, etc.
Depends on the age. Travel teams/instructors for 10-12 year olds are one thing, but a 5/6 year old is most likely being pushed.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:29 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
I think you need to do what is right for your child and worry less about what other people are doing. Does he seem to enjoy it most of the time? Then I would continue. If he doesn't enjoy it most of the time, I might let him try something else.

I would however take his social anxiety into consideration. If he is likely to resist every group activity you suggest, well, you may have to gently nudge him just a little at times and help him join activities where he will interact and make friends. But I think it's important to really keep an eye on things and measure whether he's mostly liking it and just has an off moment here or there, or whether he mostly dreads the activity, in which case, I'd look for something else.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:31 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
[quote=villageidiot1;63136639]No, I didn't miss it. My point was that some kids are natural athletes at an early age. Most kids are not natural athletes and need to be pushed a little. At an early age, the natural athletes were having fun, the others not so much. It is no different than learning to read. My 7-year old granddaughter loves to read, it comes easy to her. If a child hates to read, are we wrong to push them to learn to read?/QUOTE]

It is indeed different; it is very different. Reading is an essential life skill. Everyone needs to learn to read.

Sports skills are not essential. There are many other ways to learn discipline and team building besides being involved in sports. It is entirely possible to live a happy, successful life despite never having been involved in sports.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:26 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I lived this life when I was a kid. I started basketball at a young age and did all those high-stress, highly competitive leagues, basketball camps, etc., culminating in playing for a D1, private high school team. My entire teenage life was centered around basketball. At that point, it was 25% fun, and 75% stress. In the end, i went to a university that didn't even have a basketball program.

I won't subject my kids to that. There's no need to pressure them to perform at a level that may not even guarantee a college scholarship, and our college education plans are focused on not counting on scholarships as well. They play in rec leagues. We try out different sports/activites. We ask them to finish out the season, but if they don't want to do a particular sport again, we try something else. If they do like something, i won't hold them back. But there's no need to put them into a program that is supposed to be fun, if all it does is create anxiety and stress.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:12 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
So much depends on where you live. My kids went to a huge high school and there were many kids that didn't make the school sports teams because there were so many competing for those spots. Kind of sad, especially for the ones that had been playing those sports for years. On the other hand, smaller districts might have room for all interested students on their sports teams.

When mine were younger I let them play whatever sports they wanted to see what they liked. My only rule was that you have to finish the season, even if you hate it.

And I agree about letting them play rec or church leagues if they're only semi-interested.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
[quote=WellShoneMoon;63140046]
Quote:
No, I didn't miss it. My point was that some kids are natural athletes at an early age. Most kids are not natural athletes and need to be pushed a little. At an early age, the natural athletes were having fun, the others not so much. It is no different than learning to read. My 7-year old granddaughter loves to read, it comes easy to her. If a child hates to read, are we wrong to push them to learn to read?/QUOTE]

It is indeed different; it is very different. Reading is an essential life skill. Everyone needs to learn to read.

Sports skills are not essential. There are many other ways to learn discipline and team building besides being involved in sports. It is entirely possible to live a happy, successful life despite never having been involved in sports.
Really? I'm a teacher. Virtually every day, I have students tell me they hate to read, they can't remember what they read, and they refuse to read. I think this is the reason schools have stopped buying textbooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I lived this life when I was a kid. I started basketball at a young age and did all those high-stress, highly competitive leagues, basketball camps, etc., culminating in playing for a D1, private high school team. My entire teenage life was centered around basketball. At that point, it was 25% fun, and 75% stress. In the end, i went to a university that didn't even have a basketball program.

I won't subject my kids to that. There's no need to pressure them to perform at a level that may not even guarantee a college scholarship, and our college education plans are focused on not counting on scholarships as well. They play in rec leagues. We try out different sports/activites. We ask them to finish out the season, but if they don't want to do a particular sport again, we try something else. If they do like something, i won't hold them back. But there's no need to put them into a program that is supposed to be fun, if all it does is create anxiety and stress.
I was appreciating what you were saying until the comment I bolded, which caused you to lose any credibility. When someone talks about guaranteeing a college athletic scholarship or "not counting on scholarships," I know the person has no understanding of college sports. Do you realize the majority of college athletes are not on scholarship? .For example, my niece started on a D-1 basketball team, she was not on scholarship. Surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So much depends on where you live. My kids went to a huge high school and there were many kids that didn't make the school sports teams because there were so many competing for those spots. Kind of sad, especially for the ones that had been playing those sports for years. On the other hand, smaller districts might have room for all interested students on their sports teams.

When mine were younger I let them play whatever sports they wanted to see what they liked. My only rule was that you have to finish the season, even if you hate it.

And I agree about letting them play rec or church leagues if they're only semi-interested.
Yes, it was that way when I was in high school. We had 2,000 students in three grades. It was difficult to get playing time if you even made the team. Today, in this area, the schools are smaller and have more sports. Virtually anyone can be on a team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting