Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 06:59 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Ok I get it- college isn't for everyone.

I was raised to believe that you can gain a lot of knowledge whether its at a 4 year, 2 year school, that its a time from growing one's mind. My parents installed in me that you should go to college-- even if you don't want to work in an office and rather use your hands. To this day I still agree.

When you have kids you begin to realize nothing is ever as you plan...lol. My son is 19 and really does not like school. I wish he appreciated learning on an educational sense but really doesn't like it. He wants to be a pilot-- hereditary from my wife's family (its in my FIL's blood). Its his passion. He started college last fall at a university in another state-- and didn't do well. He doesn't like to learn or read, unless its about piloting. Which is fine but you still need at least an AA degree to be a pilot at the commercial level. I'm trying not to worry about it but I just find it frustrating that he's not really interested in college. I'd be fine with the military as well, but he hasn't shown much interest there either.

I know one day he will be a pilot, its his dream and passion. I just wish he had more interest in learning in general. Am I a bad parent? Any thoughts?
It doesn't make you a bad parent but he needs to know the realities of being a pilot. Make sure he also knows about other careers and ge needs to pursue something. Otherwise you might have a basement dweller on your hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 07:03 PM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I don't know how he will get licensed if he cannot study and pass tests.

Military is the ideal way to learn to fly. It used to be all the airline pilots were out of the military.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:53 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
College teaches people how to think, how to solve problems and go through the critical thinking process.
Does it? Not much any more. I'd say it's a waste of time - UNLESS the career field requires it. I know too many young people with 6 figure debt who aren't even working in the field of their major.

I'd let your son figure this out, he has a passion and he will do what it takes to fulfill it.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:17 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
If he joins the military, the training is free.
I was going to suggest this as well.

My nephew ALWAYS, since he was little, wanted to be a pilot. Was always into aviation. Would buy and build model planes. When he graduated from highschool, he got a batchelors degree at St. Louis University, in their aviation program. He could FINALLY be a commercial pilot. Except...

He couldn't find a job in the field. Everyone wants to hire a military vet for the jobs.

Soooo...now he's a Fed Ex driver. He's fine. Makes a decent living, he and his wife just bought a house, etc.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:19 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
This thread could have been written by me, about my son, except that he's currently 15 instead of 19. He too yearns to be an airline pilot. He too has no interest in college, or school in general. However, our research has shown that the airlines require a four-year degree in order to be a pilot. They'll probably change this as the pilot shortage worsens, but for now, they require it. And that's his motivation for wanting to attend college. Because he has to, in order to achieve his dream.

The solution we've hit on is to have him attend a college that offers a degree in aviation. They usually call these programs "Aviation" or "Professional Pilot." It's a flight school, with some general college courses thrown in so they can justify awarding a degree from that college. At the end of the four years, the student has earned the various ratings that he would need to become an airline pilot. Several airlines have entered into partnerships with various colleges as a way to find a pathway to getting new pilots. Best of all (from the parents' point of view), most of these programs can be paid for with a 529 college fund. This is NOT true of an independent flight school like ATP (though I think it should be).

Several people have mentioned Embry-Riddle. I should mention that, while one can certainly learn to fly at this school, their emphasis is on Aeronautics. In other words, their program is a lot more technical than just the nuts and bolts of earning the various type ratings. That's great if one is interested in the science of aeronautics; but if one just wants to become an airline pilot, I would recommend looking at other colleges that offer this program.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:20 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Does it? Not much any more. I'd say it's a waste of time - UNLESS the career field requires it. I know too many young people with 6 figure debt who aren't even working in the field of their major.

I'd let your son figure this out, he has a passion and he will do what it takes to fulfill it.
How many people do you really know with $100K in SL debt?

1. Student loans debt as a percentage of GDP has been decreasing since '17/'18.

2. I don't have figures in front of my face but something around 5% of SL borrowers have $100K or more in SL debt. The overwhelming majority of the cadre are doctors, lawyers and other graduate/professional degree holders who are able to manage their debt.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This thread could have been written by me, about my son, except that he's currently 15 instead of 19. He too yearns to be an airline pilot. He too has no interest in college, or school in general. However, our research has shown that the airlines require a four-year degree in order to be a pilot. They'll probably change this as the pilot shortage worsens, but for now, they require it. And that's his motivation for wanting to attend college. Because he has to, in order to achieve his dream.

The solution we've hit on is to have him attend a college that offers a degree in aviation. They usually call these programs "Aviation" or "Professional Pilot." It's a flight school, with some general college courses thrown in so they can justify awarding a degree from that college. At the end of the four years, the student has earned the various ratings that he would need to become an airline pilot. Several airlines have entered into partnerships with various colleges as a way to find a pathway to getting new pilots. Best of all (from the parents' point of view), most of these programs can be paid for with a 529 college fund. This is NOT true of an independent flight school like ATP (though I think it should be).

Several people have mentioned Embry-Riddle. I should mention that, while one can certainly learn to fly at this school, their emphasis is on Aeronautics. In other words, their program is a lot more technical than just the nuts and bolts of earning the various type ratings. That's great if one is interested in the science of aeronautics; but if one just wants to become an airline pilot, I would recommend looking at other colleges that offer this program.
My neighbor across and down the street is a very senior pilot with AA - he earned an aviation pilot training degree from Oklahoma State and then flew heavy cargo for the Army and then Air Guard.

https://education.okstate.edu/depart...ace/index.html

I'm pretty sure Texas A&M Kileen has a pro-pilot degree as well. I'd bet there are several good ones.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:31 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
So why is he not in an aviation program of some sort? Preferably at an in-state 2 or 4 year institution?

Assuming FL from you username...
https://www.polk.edu/aerospace/aero-science-bs/

Old 04-07-2022, 10:34 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
If he joins the military, the training is free.
Not only is the training free, they get paid while they are learning how to fly. And after the training is over, they will get ample opportunity to fly and gain proficiency. I have to say, that the manner in which they are trained has been maximized for efficiency. The military has been doing this for decades. They have refined the process to achieve optimal results. But that also means that not everyone will make it through to the end.

My son did that about a decade ago. He's flow all over the world. Plus they are always sending him out to different type of training. He just finished high altitude flying training and is now doing instructor pilot training. His GF is also a pilot, so they get to have some amazing experiences overseas at the government's expense.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Not only is the training free, they get paid while they are learning how to fly. And after the training is over, they will get ample opportunity to fly and gain proficiency. I have to say, that the manner in which they are trained has been maximized for efficiency. The military has been doing this for decades. They have refined the process to achieve optimal results. But that also means that not everyone will make it through to the end.

My son did that about a decade ago. He's flow all over the world. Plus they are always sending him out to different type of training. He just finished high altitude flying training and is now doing instructor pilot training. His GF is also a pilot, so they get to have some amazing experiences overseas at the government's expense.
Did your son join with a degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting