Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 11:27 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Ok I get it- college isn't for everyone.

I was raised to believe that you can gain a lot of knowledge whether its at a 4 year, 2 year school, that its a time from growing one's mind. My parents installed in me that you should go to college-- even if you don't want to work in an office and rather use your hands. To this day I still agree.

When you have kids you begin to realize nothing is ever as you plan...lol. My son is 19 and really does not like school. I wish he appreciated learning on an educational sense but really doesn't like it. He wants to be a pilot-- hereditary from my wife's family (its in my FIL's blood). Its his passion. He started college last fall at a university in another state-- and didn't do well. He doesn't like to learn or read, unless its about piloting. Which is fine but you still need at least an AA degree to be a pilot at the commercial level. I'm trying not to worry about it but I just find it frustrating that he's not really interested in college. I'd be fine with the military as well, but he hasn't shown much interest there either.

I know one day he will be a pilot, its his dream and passion. I just wish he had more interest in learning in general. Am I a bad parent? Any thoughts?
My nephew is in flight school to be a commercial pilot right now. He dropped out of college after a year, then attempted an Army career but was kicked out after 6 months. But for him, the pilot thing seems to be sticking. He doesn't have a degree of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 11:42 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Did your son join with a degree?
He did. He was ROTC. His degree is in foreign languages. Originally he wanted to go into intelligence. But on 1 of his weekend training events he got to fly as a passenger and spoke with the pilots about the field. He switched up before graduation.

But his girl friend came up through the enlisted ranks without a degree. She applied for an aviation warrant slot and went to flight school. She paid her dues as an enlisted service member. Started as a truck driver, then switched over to linguist for a few years, then off to flight school. I feel the services do a good job at rewarding folks that work hard and offer them opportunity to move up. Sad part is many don't take advantage of these programs or are too impatient to put in the time at the grunt level jobs.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:22 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This thread could have been written by me, about my son, except that he's currently 15 instead of 19. He too yearns to be an airline pilot. He too has no interest in college, or school in general. However, our research has shown that the airlines require a four-year degree in order to be a pilot. They'll probably change this as the pilot shortage worsens, but for now, they require it. And that's his motivation for wanting to attend college. Because he has to, in order to achieve his dream.

The solution we've hit on is to have him attend a college that offers a degree in aviation. They usually call these programs "Aviation" or "Professional Pilot." It's a flight school, with some general college courses thrown in so they can justify awarding a degree from that college. At the end of the four years, the student has earned the various ratings that he would need to become an airline pilot. Several airlines have entered into partnerships with various colleges as a way to find a pathway to getting new pilots. Best of all (from the parents' point of view), most of these programs can be paid for with a 529 college fund. This is NOT true of an independent flight school like ATP (though I think it should be).

Several people have mentioned Embry-Riddle. I should mention that, while one can certainly learn to fly at this school, their emphasis is on Aeronautics. In other words, their program is a lot more technical than just the nuts and bolts of earning the various type ratings. That's great if one is interested in the science of aeronautics; but if one just wants to become an airline pilot, I would recommend looking at other colleges that offer this program.

There is no better training than the military for piloting.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:48 PM

880 posts, read 564,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Ok I get it- college isn't for everyone.

I was raised to believe that you can gain a lot of knowledge whether its at a 4 year, 2 year school, that its a time from growing one's mind. My parents installed in me that you should go to college-- even if you don't want to work in an office and rather use your hands. To this day I still agree.

When you have kids you begin to realize nothing is ever as you plan...lol. My son is 19 and really does not like school. I wish he appreciated learning on an educational sense but really doesn't like it. He wants to be a pilot-- hereditary from my wife's family (its in my FIL's blood). Its his passion. He started college last fall at a university in another state-- and didn't do well. He doesn't like to learn or read, unless its about piloting. Which is fine but you still need at least an AA degree to be a pilot at the commercial level. I'm trying not to worry about it but I just find it frustrating that he's not really interested in college. I'd be fine with the military as well, but he hasn't shown much interest there either.

I know one day he will be a pilot, its his dream and passion. I just wish he had more interest in learning in general. Am I a bad parent? Any thoughts?

Don't take it personally, it's probably because you went to FSU, and it doesn't interest him.

(oh man, I'm sorry... that was below the belt, I take that back)

Quick advice... if he isn't ready for school... pushing him into it isn't going to help. He may be interested in joining the Air Force, or the Navy, or even the Army. He likely won't get his pick... but it will straighten him out and he may have the opportunity to learn. He'll also get a GI bill if he changes his mind later.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:28 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,108,526 times
OP - If you can get him into a private pilots program and then accumulate hours then there are some opportunities to get additional flying hours basically for free. Aircraft manufacturing companies have to fly their new aircraft a certain amount of hours before they are sold/delivered to clients. Not a problem for Boeing, but small a/c manufacturers often get private pilots to fly their planes as a way for both to gain required hours. Here in Idaho I have a co worker whose husband is pursuing his commercial license. He has his private license, some additional ratings (multi engine, instrumentation, etc.), and is accumulating his hours before he can apply for his commercial license. A local manufacturing company in Caldwell ID hires pilots like him to do initial flights in their new aircraft. He gets paid in flight hours, which is a big plus for both parties. I'd guess there could be some similar companies in Florida.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:57 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Its my (pseudo professional) opinion that military aviation route is not good advice in this case. Its actually bordering on bad advice. Military aviation is incredibly difficult to break into, and there is no guarantee that you fly if you commission as an officer. Most likely, you dont fly. This is why it is so important to understand what type of flying your son wants to do and go from there. I'm by no means knocking a career as a military officer, but if the end goal is flying, there are other routes. There just shouldn't be any confusion as to how hard flying for the .mil is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
OP - If you can get him into a private pilots program and then accumulate hours then there are some opportunities to get additional flying hours basically for free. Aircraft manufacturing companies have to fly their new aircraft a certain amount of hours before they are sold/delivered to clients. Not a problem for Boeing, but small a/c manufacturers often get private pilots to fly their planes as a way for both to gain required hours. Here in Idaho I have a co worker whose husband is pursuing his commercial license. He has his private license, some additional ratings (multi engine, instrumentation, etc.), and is accumulating his hours before he can apply for his commercial license. A local manufacturing company in Caldwell ID hires pilots like him to do initial flights in their new aircraft. He gets paid in flight hours, which is a big plus for both parties. I'd guess there could be some similar companies in Florida.
Good advice, this.

Old 04-07-2022, 04:16 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
He did. He was ROTC. His degree is in foreign languages. Originally he wanted to go into intelligence. But on 1 of his weekend training events he got to fly as a passenger and spoke with the pilots about the field. He switched up before graduation.

But his girl friend came up through the enlisted ranks without a degree. She applied for an aviation warrant slot and went to flight school. She paid her dues as an enlisted service member. Started as a truck driver, then switched over to linguist for a few years, then off to flight school. I feel the services do a good job at rewarding folks that work hard and offer them opportunity to move up. Sad part is many don't take advantage of these programs or are too impatient to put in the time at the grunt level jobs.
That makes sense and I thank them both for their service. I'd only point out that becoming a warrant officer pilot is a very narrow path. She must be exceptional. I'm not trying to throw the OP's kid under thesis but if he struggles with tests and related pressure become a CWO pilot is out.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:48 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I came from a family that had no particular bias one way or the other about college. We were four brothers; only #2 of 4 went to college and he was the first and only in our family to do so (my father was an aircraft mechanic and my mother a housewife). The college-educated brother got a master's in electrical engineering and ended up working of for a military contractor, on projects like heads-up canopy displays in fighter jets and self-guided torpedoes for submarines. #1 was a truck driver, #3 did get a useless degree from a religious college and then ended up being a serial entrepreneur with mixed success. I (#4 of 4) have been writing computer software for 40 years, and mainly didn't go to college because I was too busy making really good money and didn't see the point. I would say that all of us except #3 scored very high in career satisfaction and #3 was about middle of the road.

My wife, on the other hand, came from a family that sent four generations of boys AND girls to college, beginning in the 1930s. Pretty much the opposite; it was expected of you. From what I can tell my wife and both her siblings ended up in careers they didn't really like that much. My wife wanted to go into medicine or something like forensic psychiatry, but her father, a prominent radiologist, actively discouraged it -- then disrespected her for choosing journalism. Today she's a very successful business-to-business journalist, writer and editor with substantial PR chops, but has a love-hate relationship with her craft.

I will take my career over hers any day; I have often said I'd do it for free if I didn't need the money. I am not so much in that headspace now at 65, because of corporate BS sort of poisoning the well, but I've had a great run. Of course I started my career at a time of much low-hanging fruit. In the early 1980s it was basically, "You're not terrified of computers? You must be a genius. Here's a wheelbarrow full of money, write me some software. I don't even care what it is, I just don't want to miss out". That mindset is long gone, but you can still get a fine start with code boot camps and get a good paying entry level role in exchange for about $15K and a dozen weeks of your time. And in general you'll hit the ground running far better than a computer science graduate. You'll also find out pronto if you're unsuited to the work. Most boot camps have a pre-screen that puts you through some basic paces so you don't even have to commit to the camp if you don't pass the screening.

Given the soulless nature of much work today, the increasing exploitiveness of employers (and of student loan purveyors), and the astronomical cost of a college education, I think the trades or other alternative learning modes like I describe above are probably a better way to go. YMMV, etc. Of course college is the ONLY way if you want to be certain things (brain surgeon, etc) but we are way too religious about the dated notion that college is a guarantee to success and the only way to get it. I know too many people who spent tens of thousands on a degree and ended up flipping burgers. It's a different world than even 20 years ago.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:49 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Several people have mentioned Embry-Riddle. I should mention that, while one can certainly learn to fly at this school, their emphasis is on Aeronautics. In other words, their program is a lot more technical than just the nuts and bolts of earning the various type ratings. That's great if one is interested in the science of aeronautics; but if one just wants to become an airline pilot, I would recommend looking at other colleges that offer this program.
A pilot flies the aircraft.

The good pilot flies the aircraft and learns the "in's and out's of the particular aircraft he/she is flying.

The great pilot has more than a basic knowledge of all the various systems on most all aircraft in the skies. (And, also understands "air.")

Old 04-07-2022, 09:56 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why?
because it provides training, job skills, structure, and direction. He can stay in for a shorter time and leave sooner, or stay in for a longer time. either way he leaves with valuable experience, knows more about where he wants to go and what he wants to do, and will have increased skills and abilities, discipline and maturity, to achieve whatever goals he has. he'll also have financial benefits that will support him and be of assistance regardless of whatever he decides to do with his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting