Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 11:28 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times

Advertisements

You said in the thread title that you think he a good reason, yet he simply said the generic "have plans" which is not really a good reason.

First off it's your birthday and your call. But since it's always been a big deal in the family I can certainly understand why the other family members are upset. He is 19, not 39 with a family of his own. He is out on his own but that's a recent development. If I'm dad I'm upset and very concerned that this starts a trend and suddenly and just like that birthday dinners, special evenings that you enjoyed as a family for decades, will come to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 11:39 AM

700 posts, read 446,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
He is 19, not 39 with a family of his own. He is out on his own but that's a recent development. If I'm dad I'm upset and very concerned that this starts a trend and suddenly and just like that birthday dinners, special evenings that you enjoyed as a family for decades, will come to an end.
Where did the OP say he's 19?

Old 05-14-2022, 01:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
It's curious that he's not saying what his other plans are.

OP, it sounds like you have a good relationship with him, but is there a dynamic with his siblings, that he doesn't want to be around all of them at the same time?

Obviously, there are some other commitments that would be perfectly understandable for him to have to miss your birthday dinner, everyone gets that, but it's odd that he's not saying.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:26 PM

700 posts, read 446,770 times
to the OP...I did want to say that it is commendable overall that your family maintains this kind of connection with each other. It's not very common anymore.

Due to a series of untimely deaths in my family (and a diaspora of our sibs) our traditions evaporated pretty quickly (though we're still close and visit a lot). My wife's family is more like yours and I have an appreciation for it.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:15 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Maybe this is a growth step, asserting his independence. Not continuing childish traditions is part of growing up. How long should a child believe in Santa? When does he start spending Thanksgiving with his friends?

I'm glad you mostly aren't taking this personally.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:16 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times
Was the date cleared with your son when the party was planned or did it have to be on your exact birthdate?

As an adult living apart, maybe your husband should have checked to see if your son was available then or if another date was better. Would it be a problem if it was a day or two sooner or later?

I think it is very impressive that your son visits every week so you must have a good relationship. Your accepting attitude about this is commendable.

Maybe the “surprise” activity or whatever is planned is something he does not want to do?

Celebrating on the exact date with all family members was never a “thing” in my family but usually on a weekend before or after. There will probably be more issues in the future if the celebrations have to be on the exact day as conflicts do come up.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:48 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's curious that he's not saying what his other plans are.
I find it curious that a grown man is supposed to tell his parents where he's going to be, as if he was a teenager.

When I got tired of going to family family gatherings, I just told the people involved that I didn't want to go. I didn't want to go because I didn't enjoy them. I'm from a laissez-faire family where you could say things like that, but I can see where others would need to be more diplomatic and beg off with "other plans."

Old 05-14-2022, 03:50 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
I am going with the simpliest explanation that he has something that he can't or doesn't want to reschedule and wants to keep it private.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:54 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I would tell the rest of the family to back off Jon. Yes traditions may change, or this could be a one off. Maybe he made a date with someone that is important to him and he doesn't want to cancel. Maybe he's planned a sky diving trip with buddies. This is not a hill for anyone to die on.

Old 05-14-2022, 06:46 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
So, I only have one son, he's 34 now. He's always rebelled against forced family get togethers. He's been a very stubborn person from the time he was a toddler. I'm okay with his rebelling, personally. There was nothing I hated more as a kid than to be forced to talk to grandma A, grandma B, bonus grandma, bio dad, his wife and anyone else the family decided they needed to call on holidays. It was uncomfortable and unenjoyable to me. I'm an introvert (as is my son) and forced chit chat pretty much is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. It didn't matter if it was family or strangers.

My husband and his family guilt each other into doing things with the family, even though my husband is 61. It's ridiculous. His mom threatens to cut him off all the time because we live down south and she lives in NY and he doesn't visit all the time (we own a business and can't just get up and leave when we want to). The rest of the family competes to see who can plan the best birthday, mother's day, easter, etc for his mother. So my husband gets very upset when my son doesn't call me on mother's day or my birthday (he texts and I am fine with that).

My point is, too many people put too much pressure on the other members of the family to fulfill whatever they want family life to be. My son loves me, I love him. But I allow him the space he wants/needs and I am there when he needs me to be there (if I need him, he's there for me, too). He's a good kid (adult, but to me a kid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting