Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 07:40 AM

58 posts, read 27,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
For many mothers anything that hurts their children will always be her business. We would rather take the pain ourselves then see our children suffer no matter how old they are.

That is totally true!! That is how I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
May I suggest that they then go on for whatever graduate studies they desire?

I am being wicked here, but a man who turns his back on his kids needs to pay for that somehow.

Hahaha! I agree

Old 05-24-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
They are acting like children themselves. A father will allow a new wife to have him remove photos of his own children? SHE would have the balls to ask him to do that? What in the world is wrong with her? She is controlling, a ***** for sure, selfish, immature, insecure, jealous and all that goes with it. They both need therapy.

She is definitely insecure, trust me. She just wants to erase his history before he met her. It's ridiculous and maddening. I cannot believe that I married and had children with a man like this. I'm very disappointed but he will regret it someday, no doubt.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That it is none of your business now. If they kids want contact with their father let them handle it...they are adults.

Forget about your ex and move on with your life.
Our youngest is still in high school.

I only care about how he treats my kids.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You'd be surprised how many "dads" are willing to do this for their fresh new woman. And how desperate the FNW is to erase his history.
It's sad

Old 05-24-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
I have a close friend of mine who went through this himself, he was in his 40's at the time when his mother died. His father started dating and soon after married a real piece of trash that was only with him for his money. She'd been in trouble multiple times with the law for drugs and various other crimes. Understandably, my friend and his wife did not want their child to have anything to do with her grandfather at that point, and they certainly couldn't trust his judgment to let her be alone with him and the new wife. So they threatened to cut off contact... and they did. His father didn't care, though I've bumped into him a few times over the years and he always plays the victim card, saying he can't believe how badly his son is treating him ever since his wife died, etc.

He'll never get it.
That is very sad You are right, unfortunately, these men just don't get it.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:48 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1969 View Post
She is definitely insecure, trust me. She just wants to erase his history before he met her. It's ridiculous and maddening. I cannot believe that I married and had children with a man like this. I'm very disappointed but he will regret it someday, no doubt.
I feel ya sister. They say people never really change? My ex is Exhibit A that they do. We joke that he must have been kidnapped by extra-terrestrials and they sent back the wrong guy after the anal probe.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:01 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Based on the facts as presented in this thread, this is NOT the case, but before we throw every Dad overboard, there can many times be more than one side to these stories.

I dealt with a narcisstic lawyer wife through divorce. She pulled every nasty trick in the books, including doing everything possible to prevent me from seeing my children.

A first i jumped through hoops: rented a big house to allow for visits and overnights; stayed in the area; did everything possible to stay in the children's lives--school, extra curricular activities, friends, etc.

Little by little she shut me out of their lives and yes, i threw in the towel. Said i would see the children when they were 18 and could make their own decisions.

Turns out they had their mother figured out and were just waiting, as was i, for the time when they were out from under her control.

Like every relationship with children who have been through such a mess, it isn't the best, but it is good and we work hard to make it better on both sides.

They despise the mother.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As others have said, there is little you can do besides support the kids and encourage them to live their lives.

If it is any comfort, if this goes according to the pattern I've seen with other men who abandon their families, he will reappear in a few years and want to walk them down the aisle, sit at the head of the table at Thanksgiving, etc. Like he took a vacation from being a father, then thinks he can step back in where he left off.

If he gets a debilitating medical condition such as cancer, Parkinson's, or MS, you can bet he will show back up with a mouth full of apologies.
I wouldn't count on him walking back into their lives. Many times they don't.

If he shows up sick and now wants a relationship then it's up to the kids if they want him then.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:57 PM

319 posts, read 199,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If he shows up sick and now wants a relationship then it's up to the kids if they want him then.
There's always karma.

My father pulled the same behavior on us. Three of us were grown, anyway, one sibling still at home with our mother.

Personally, I didn't especially care. Over a decade of suffering through our parents' rancor toward one another, without a care for how it damaged their children, made me wash my hands of both of them. I made an excellent marriage, decided I would find happiness on that path (going on almost 40 years, now) and left my parents to decide what they wanted to make of the rest of their lives.

However, 15 years later, with my father having married again and put an emphasis on his second family, doting on the stepkids, favoring their children over his own grandchildren, his second wife died. Father aged, became infirm, and needed help. Guess what his second family did? POOFED right out of his life. My siblings did what they could for him. I lived clear across country and didn't have the resources for more than a trip back every few years, but my siblings kept watch and gave as much care as they could until he had to be placed in professional care.

Our father died in a nursing home, demented and calling us by the names of the children of his second family. Those people had taken what they could financially and boogied right out of his life.

OP, keep in mind that your kids will likely take mates and perhaps make their own families. It's awesome to have two loving parents, but not absolutely necessary to a happy forever after life. You keep up with the love you've bountifully shown so your children will know it exists. It won't ruin their existence to not have their father around, but he may find a comeuppance down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting