Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:21 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
For some reason I feel it is my duty to "teach people a lesson". How will anything change if everyone just remains quiet all the time? Of course , one has to pick your battles. But just letting people behave badly around me doesn't sit well.
Who are you to decide which words are ok? Some of us aren’t worried about words others deem to be profane. Teach people a lesson? When did you become everyone’s parent? What if I teach you lessons? What if you’re shot over your lessons? Picking a fight in front of your children isn’t wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 09:28 AM

528 posts, read 712,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Who are you to decide which words are ok? Some of us aren’t worried about words others deem to be profane. Teach people a lesson? When did you become everyone’s parent? What if I teach you lessons? What if you’re shot over your lessons? Picking a fight in front of your children isn’t wise.
So people can behave however they want because no stranger has the right to say anything about their behavior?

Old 06-03-2022, 09:31 AM

528 posts, read 712,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Write a book, write a letter to the editor, post good manners on social media, start a movement, but don't confront someone you don't know in person about something that you think is in bad taste.
That stuff falls under "preaching to the choir". I see it all the time on social media and it accomplishes nothing. Because the people that break rules don't read rules..

Old 06-03-2022, 10:17 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
That stuff falls under "preaching to the choir". I see it all the time on social media and it accomplishes nothing. Because the people that break rules don't read rules..
We gave our opinions. What are you going to do in real life?

Old 06-03-2022, 11:37 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
If I'm in a public space and people are being loud or annoying I typically move. That's really all you can do. If it was a situation where I couldnt move I might give a dirty look.

I have been in a restaurant before where someone asked someone else to quiet down. The person was talking very loud. There's many situations where someone might ask someone to stop doing something. It's really up to the OP I'd say. I lean on the side of it isnt my place to tell a stranger to stop speaking regardless of what they are saying.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:45 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If I'm in a public space and people are being loud or annoying I typically move. That's really all you can do. If it was a situation where I couldnt move I might give a dirty look.

I have been in a restaurant before where someone asked someone else to quiet down. The person was talking very loud. There's many situations where someone might ask someone to stop doing something. It's really up to the OP I'd say. I lean on the side of it isnt my place to tell a stranger to stop speaking regardless of what they are saying.
I have been in a "family" restaurant before where one table was being obnoxiously loud and dropping the F bomb like there is no tomorrow. Yes they were drinking. This was when my kids were very young. I asked the waiter if he could ask the manager to ask them to tone it down a bit. He did, and they toned it down. It wasn't my place to confront them and if my young kids weren't with me, I may have ignored them.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:51 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
So people can behave however they want because no stranger has the right to say anything about their behavior?
Yes because they live in America where we have freedoms. You may not like what someone else says but that's too bad for you. They may not like what you say either but they aren't bothering you about it.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:52 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Why do you think you're the one to determine what behavior is good and what is bad?

Another poster seems to think words like "that sucks" "idiot" and "stupid" are bad words. I don't think most people would consider those 'bad words", and it would be completely inappropriate to tell a stranger in public that they're not allowed to use such words around your children.

If someone is doing/saying something you don't want your kids exposed to, all you can do is remove your children from the situation.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:05 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why do you think you're the one to determine what behavior is good and what is bad?

Another poster seems to think words like "that sucks" "idiot" and "stupid" are bad words. I don't think most people would consider those 'bad words", and it would be completely inappropriate to tell a stranger in public that they're not allowed to use such words around your children.

If someone is doing/saying something you don't want your kids exposed to, all you can do is remove your children from the situation.
Im not sure if you have kids but most people dont want to hear 5 and 6 year olds saying, "that sucks" "idiot" and "stupid". Most people REALLY don't want to hear their own young child saying that. I'm not saying life is over and things are doomed if children use bad language but I don't want my kids saying such negative things.

In some ways it is silly that words can mean so much but they do. If a kid or anyone is using these words are they angry about something? Or is it really just words. There are plenty of racist words that basically seem banned so those seem to be a lot more than just words as well.

Last edited by msRB311; 06-03-2022 at 12:18 PM..

Old 06-03-2022, 12:11 PM

1,137 posts, read 614,378 times
I 100% agree with msRB311. I have zero problems with what ppl say to each other, their business. They can say the F word in every sentence. But when it comes to kids, their brains are still growing and forming, everything they see and hear they absorb like sponges. If you normalize swearing, etc... trust me they pick it up.

Like it or not, constantly swearing shows lack of intelligence and it's just low brow. I wouldn't want my kids (if I had any lol) spewing that nonsense.

Common sense and what is called consideration is necessary if our society is to function well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting