Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 12:23 PM

2,030 posts, read 4,524,952 times

Advertisements

I had one of each. I like the boy better (just kidding, sorta).

I do know that when I thought of having children, I always wanted a boy.

My family on my mothers side was very female heavy. My grandmother had two girls. My mother had three girls. My sister had two girls. My aunt had three girls. One of her daughters has three girls.

In three generations, I have the only boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 01:29 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,893,502 times
I have 2 boys, and yes, I did wish one of them was a girl (before they were born) but they have been a joy and blessing and I wouldn't trade them for anything now. I got my "girl fix" when my grandaughter was born and I was fortunate enough to be her babysitter while her mother worked. It's interesting the difference between the sexes....both are nice, but I think boys are easier in many ways.

Old 06-09-2022, 04:14 PM

402 posts, read 267,877 times
OK time to share my opinion. OK, rather desire and hopes. I want both! At least 2. I hope and pray everyday for that.

I'd hate to have only girls as much as I like them and would LOVE to be someone's hero (and first male in their lives) there are things that I can't relate to, things their mom would be more able to relate to. Ditto with boys only - I'll have someone to relate to, someone who's going to have similar experiences, I could talk for girls in that way with them, more likely to have common hobbies and interests etc. But then my wife would feel kinda left out. Contrary to popular belief some boys/men like going to malls but with friends, not theie moms and usually not for shopping clothes. A mom and daughter shopping at the mall would be sweet. And of course they could talk boys and have "the talk" all they like.

The problem is that boys are harder to raise in the sense it's easier to be a good dad to a girl. Most dads are doing a bad job apparently with boys and whatever you say in schools the environment isn't very friendly to boys, they don't have any male role models there as most teachers are female. While girls have plenty teachers to aspire to be like when mom's not a good role model. I'm in my 30s and just now I have finally a male role model (which is my inner voice/perfect version of me I aspire to be, believe it or not).

School is so drowned with estrogen that of course boys will rebel, while others start adopting a faux feminized way of behaving. Worst is the third kind which becomes self-hating. Not having a person of your own gender to look up to at class was really frustrating. Oh and most teachers were the male-bashing kind so we all see the results of that... they told me to be a certain way and that didn't help me at all with women...on the contrary, I started attracting love when I threw all indoctrination from female authority figures at school in the gutter. Well to be honest most h.s. teachers are bad role models for girls as well. I guess working with kids makes you go nutty or sth.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:00 AM

7,665 posts, read 5,378,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomektomek View Post
School is so drowned with estrogen that of course boys will rebel, while others start adopting a faux feminized way of behaving. Worst is the third kind which becomes self-hating. Not having a person of your own gender to look up to at class was really frustrating. Oh and most teachers were the male-bashing kind so we all see the results of that... they told me to be a certain way and that didn't help me at all with women...on the contrary, I started attracting love when I threw all indoctrination from female authority figures at school in the gutter. Well to be honest most h.s. teachers are bad role models for girls as well. I guess working with kids makes you go nutty or sth.
Yikes. Did anyone see that coming?

Old 06-10-2022, 04:44 AM

402 posts, read 267,877 times
OK, boomer, pretending certain professions do not tend to be 90%+ of one gender wouldn't make a wrong right.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:59 AM

7,935 posts, read 7,282,889 times
My two sons are 27 and 24. Kinda glad I don't have a daughter cause I'd go nuts every time she went on a date.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:17 AM

37,424 posts, read 45,616,465 times
Quote:
If you have just one child or several but of one sex only, have you ever wondered what would it be to have at least one of the other gender?

I think I'd love to experience being a dad to both a boy and a girl as I'd like both experiences. I bet they're quite different but each is enriching in its own, unique way, in ways the other just cannot be.

If you have only boys or girls have you ever wondered in the back of your mind what would the other experience be like? Are you sometimes a bit envious of parents who can experience both?
Heck no. I have a son. I thank my lucky stars that I did not have a girl. Two boys would have been my choice, but it was not to be.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:15 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,167,202 times
When I was pregnant with my first, I wanted a girl for me but a boy for my husband because he had two daughters from his first marriage. We had a boy and when I was pregnant the second time, I really didn't care one way or another. We had another son and I had hoped they would be close and while they get along, they're just not as close as I would have hoped. Partly because they are polar opposites and now the older one moved across the country last year.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:46 PM

35,916 posts, read 30,469,451 times
Quote:
OK, boomer, pretending certain professions do not tend to be 90%+ of one gender wouldn't make a wrong right.
It does not matter.
Teachers are not necessarily role models. There are lots of people in a childs life that can be a role model. I have 2 sons and 2 grandsons. There were always male teachers, principals, coaches, etc. throughout school. Not all male or female teachers are decent role models and some can definitely be a role model to both boys and girls. None of my boys had any issues with the school environment and had good relationships with both male and female teachers.
I think when you actually have kids you will see things more clearly.

Old 06-10-2022, 03:39 PM

7,980 posts, read 5,330,832 times
Quote:

If you have only boys or girls have you ever wondered in the back of your mind what would the other experience be like? Are you sometimes a bit envious of parents who can experience both?
No, not at all. I have three sons. I am just happy I was able to have three children as I had hoped for three.
I know my father was disappointed he did not have a son--I never wanted to be like him, I wanted to be happy with whatever I got.
I am happy with my three sons. (Hey, there is even a old televisions series named "My Three Sons!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting